Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Lyoto beats shogun convincingly is he a top 3 ranked P4P. IMO if he does beat Shogun I don't see anyone beating him at 205. In addition no disrespect intended to Anderson Or GSP but Lyoto Record is more impressive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The only reason he isnt in the top 3 now is because everyone else has been dominating there divisions for a while now, longer then he has. After this fight though he should be up there for sure if he beats shogun.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Yes. He is the champion in the most stacked division and the fact he is undefeated is even more amazing. No other fighter mentioned in the P4P ranks is undefeated. I'd have him as number 1.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I also find it interesting that they are his only actual KO victories. His other two came from cut and exhaustion. I guess Machida only KOs undefeated, top 10 fighters.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
No.

I would put Jose Aldo above Machida. Machida still needs a few more big wins to be top 3 P4P IMO.........

If he beats Shogun I dont think anybody in the UFC LHW division will beat him.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No.

I would put Jose Aldo above Machida. Machida still needs a few more big wins to be top 3 P4P IMO.........

Don't get me wrong Aldo is great but I don't like small guys as there is 5 divisions above with better fighters. Aldo is great but if u remove Machida from the equation does aint Anderson Silva or Shogun stand as the best fighter in the world at 205? Aldo is amazedly good but Machida can compete with the best even heavy weights, I think aldo would have trouble at 155 or higher, to be the best you have to fight the best.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he's at 3 if he beats Shogun. As of right now, it's Fedor, Anderson, and Aldo.
I knock GSP for not moving up, if he does and wins at a higher weigh class then GSP is for sure #1 or 2. But how exactly is what aldo doing different from GSP. Gsp dominates a more competitive weight class.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Aldo has shown to be more rounded, doesn't use one technique to take a safe route and sneak out the back door against subpar competition, not to mention beating Brown and Faber back to back is probably more impressive then anything GSP has done in his entire career. The only thing relevant GSP has done in the past few years was over-exhaust BJ Penn at welterweight, where Penn has no business being at. I'd put him at #4 right now, deal with that.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aldo has shown to be more rounded, doesn't use one technique to take a safe route and sneak out the back door against subpar competition, not to mention beating Brown and Faber back to back is probably more impressive then anything GSP has done in his entire career. The only thing relevant GSP has done in the past few years was over-exhaust BJ Penn at welterweight, where Penn has no business being at. I'd put him at #4 right now, deal with that.
Jose Aldo is not a more rounded fighter than GSP I'll admit he is more exciting but GSP is a better striker, probably better on the ground. I don't even like gsp but i think he will have more success at a higher weight than aldo would at 155.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It all depends on how you feel about the Fedor situation.

I think its pretty close between Fedor and Machida. Maybe if Machida defends again after clearly beating Rua it would put him past fedor in my book, but its (P4P) just too much apples and oranges for me to choose. Plus, BJ is still up there IMO.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Jose Aldo is not a more rounded fighter than GSP I'll admit he is more exciting but GSP is a better striker, probably better on the ground. I don't even like gsp but i think he will have more success at a higher weight than aldo would at 155.
gsp has got better hands but thats it, while aldo has some good hands but is lighting fast and has the deadliest legs in MMA while gsp does nothing with his legs

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
He has two title defenses and one of them people are saying he lost. No. He is good but he has to stand out for a while and take out all the higher competition in his weight class IMO to be the best. For me to put him up with Silva, Fedor, and GSP he would have to beat Page and Lil Nog. Then I would say he is at the top P4P. But that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gsp has got better hands but thats it, while aldo has some good hands but is lighting fast and has the deadliest legs in MMA while gsp does nothing with his legs
the speed could be do with his size as typically smaller guys are faster. As for the feet GSP was impressive with his feet early on in his career. For example in the matt hughes fight we saw a head kick,push kicks,spinning back kick,etc from him. GSP just found a easy way to win which is my knock on him, but if he has to use his feet he is excellent with them.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
No.

Yeah i dont think Aldo has done enough to the same quality of fighters that Machida has already put away with ease...

I would never put Aldo ahead of Machida when Machida has shown pure dominance on the hardest division, other then his last close call, where i dont even know how he even moved with all the leg kicks he ate....

And thats my unbiased opinion...

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
see I don't get what it is with aldo. maybe i'm bias but the higher weight division gets the higher ranking. Yes his striking is amazing but can he dominate at a higher weight class?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts