Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would there but as much backlash/hatred. Rapmage is a wrestler also, last time I checked, but focuses far too much on his boxing. If he used a similar bob and weave/ l'n'p strategy as Rashad I dont think people would be complaining twice as much. In fact, I think people would have probably praised Rampage for being a "smart fighter" :laugh:

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I dont think so, People dislike LnP regardless of who the fighter is. Just look at the former beloved GSP, He got SOOOO much backlash for focusing too much on BJJ vs Hardy.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
would there but as much backlash/hatred. Rapmage is a wrestler also, last time I checked, but focuses far too much on his boxing. If he used a similar bob and weave/ l'n'p strategy as Rashad I dont think people would be complaining twice as much. In fact, I think people would have probably praised Rampage for being a "smart fighter" :laugh:

thoughts?
My thought is, this is 100% accurate. There are just certain fighters that can do no wrong, and certain fighters that can do no right in the eyes of some. The Rampage/Rashad debate always puzzled me. Rampage is a bigger trash talker then Rashad has ever been, has blatently disprespected the sport of MMA, and frankly his actions outside of the cage have brought negative press that somehow gets wiped under the rug, though with most it would have got them fired on the spot.

I'm so glad he lost. I hope he gets Machida next just so he can go two losses and a row and hopefully be out of our hair for good.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Maybe the case, I have not seen the fight only the results, so I can't say much about the strategy used in this fight, but I don't think it woudl of effected the result ether way, I always has Rash to win this fight, only chance I though Rampage could of had of winning was a flash KO.

Such a sad fact for Rampage fans that he has pasted his prime and Rash is still in there.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
My thought is, this is 100% accurate. There are just certain fighters that can do no wrong, and certain fighters that can do no right in the eyes of some. The Rampage/Rashad debate always puzzled me. Rampage is a bigger trash talker then Rashad has ever been, has blatently disprespected the sport of MMA, and frankly his actions outside of the cage have brought negative press that somehow gets wiped under the rug, though with most it would have got them fired on the spot.

I'm so glad he lost. I hope he gets Machida next just so he can go two losses and a row and hopefully be out of our hair for good.
The amount of hate you have for Rampage is laughable, He wont be going anywhere even if he goes on a 4 fight losing streak. He is a seller and would probably the best Gatekeeper the UFC can ask for out of a fighter if he cant get back into form.

Get back to your dreams if you want Rampage out of the UFC.
:happy01:

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
It doesn't matter. I'll bash anyone for LnP regardless of pedigree, color or my personal rate of hanging from said fighter's nuts. I always try to make my point in a civil manner and without being too much of an ass though. GSP is a very popular fighter but he still gets a lot of heat for playing it safe on this forum. I don't know about Sherdog though. I don't think I wanna know either. :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I dont think so, People dislike LnP regardless of who the fighter is. Just look at the former beloved GSP, He got SOOOO much backlash for focusing too much on BJJ vs Hardy.
I have to admit, this is a good point in a lot of ways. Though I still think Rampage would get at least a lot less backlash if any at all... still though, very good point.

The amount of hate you have for Rampage is laughable, He wont be going anywhere even if he goes on a 4 fight losing streak. He is a seller and would probably the best Gatekeeper the UFC can ask for out of a fighter if he cant get back into form.

Get back to your dreams if you want Rampage out of the UFC.
:happy01:
and sadly another one... *sigh... I know, I know. Respect.:)

EDIT- I wanted to add, while I do agree with you on the point of GSP, and Rampage being a draw and a stellar gatekeeper at worse, my disdane for him (I don't like the word hate) is anything but laughable. For two years now the guy has shown his true colors in every negative aspect a fighter can. The fact that he still has a following is nothing short of proof that the Pro Wrestling fan metality exist in MMA as well.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have to admit, this is a good point in a lot of ways. Though I still think Rampage would get at least a lot less backlash if any at all... still though, very good point.

and sadly another one... *sigh... I know, I know. Respect.:)

EDIT- I wanted to add, while I do agree with you on the point of GSP, and Rampage being a draw and a stellar gatekeeper at worse, my disdane for him (I don't like the word hate) is anything but laughable. For two years now the guy has shown his true colors in every negative aspect a fighter can. The fact that he still has a following is nothing short of proof that the Pro Wrestling fan metality exist in MMA as well.
I would have to agree. Actions speak louder than words, Rampage can talk all he wants about respect, God and whatever, he has no respect. He has none for the sport, for himself, for the law, or as far as I can tell, for anything except himself. He acts like a 14 year old in a mans body. He is a popular fighter, and will have a large fanbase for a while longer even if he keeps losing, so he isn't getting cut, but I was glad to see him lose. He is a douchebag in every way it is possible to be one.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and everyone turned around and "forgave" GSP 2 weeks later....:thumb02:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Knowing that Rashad just wanted to smother him rather than do something worthwhile, id have been happy to see Rampage do the same to him.

But if Rampage came in against someone else tomorrow and just humped him for 3 rounds, as a Rampage fan I'd still be critical.

I think Rampage would actually be able to land some GnP though, unlike Rashad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Rampage only has high school wrestling(from what I remember) and he doesn't like the ground game, its actually in ways weak. He's got good offence but his defence is a little so-so. Rampage doesn't really do take downs but if he used Rashads gameplay I'd love it because it would teach Rashad how to really fight

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Rampage only has high school wrestling(from what I remember) and he doesn't like the ground game, its actually in ways weak. He's got good offence but his defence is a little so-so. Rampage doesn't really do take downs but if he used Rashads gameplay I'd love it because it would teach Rashad how to really fight
Rampage wrestled in college and in fact in the Pride days was pretty much a pure wrestler. Since Ibarra he is obsessed with boxing though and his lack of maintaining his groundgame during UFC has really shown.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Rampage wrestled in college and in fact in the Pride days was pretty much a pure wrestler. Since Ibarra he is obsessed with boxing though and his lack of maintaining his groundgame during UFC has really shown.
Quoted for truth.

The only weapon Rampage seem to use anymore is his boxing. That wont fare to well for him in the future, as I dont see him being a top LHW fighter using only boxing to win fights.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't ever recall him being a pure wrestler hmm

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
I don't ever recall him being a pure wrestler hmm
It's well documented that he came from a wrestling background, he had mediocre standup in Pride, got KO'ed by Wandy and Shogun consistently because he didn't really understand how to blend standup defense into his wrestling, top control was his main game, powerslammed like a wrestler, depended heavily on strength and conditioning rather than technique to avoid being subbed, has publicly said he doesn't like to train BJJ...

I mean he wasn't as one dimensional as Severn or Coleman were in early UFC's but this was also much later in the game and he came in pretty young so he had plenty of useful years to learn before he peaked.

now you're just being weird....:confused03:
Are you kidding? Rapmage? That's great! First single would be called "Lyrical Wizard".

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Quoted for truth.

The only weapon Rampage seem to use anymore is his boxing. That wont fare to well for him in the future, as I dont see him being a top LHW fighter using only boxing to win fights.
I think he wanted to use his MT in this fight but just didn't have any real chance to outside of knees from the greco clinch.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I have to say that Rashad didn't even LNP. He only got Rampage down twice. He simply held him against the fence. It wasn't like a GSP performance, where he dominates by taking down his opponents at will. It was a lets hold you against the fence and hope Herb Dean doesn't step in again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts