Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...does that put him in your P4P lists? I know its a massive if and i have the fight ending in Hendo KO or TKO (although i give Shields a much better chance than most.) I've underestimated Shields before, but wont do again.
Loads of people say he hasn't fought good competition but he has wins over Pyle, Condit, Okami, Lawler and Paul Daley - none of whom are cans.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
p4p list? He'd get a little higher in his own weight division but I don't see why a win over Hendo would catapult him to p4p status.

Dude has a great string of wins chained together but he isn't fighting top 10 guys (this is his first).

I know some people already have him on their p4p list but I just think it is too early.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
p4p list? He'd get a little higher in his own weight division but I don't see why a win over Hendo would catapult him to p4p status.

Dude has a great string of wins chained together but he isn't fighting top 10 guys (this is his first).

I know some people already have him on their p4p list but I just think it is too early.
Because he is a natural WW who moved up to MW for challenges. If he wins he will have moved up and beaten Lawler, Miller, and Hendo at MW. If Aldo, Mousasi, and Aoki all lose and he wins you have to put him atleast in the 4-7 area. Really you can argue his record would be more impressive from a p4p perspective than GSP, Hendo is tied with Franklin for second greatest MW of all time. The guy is undefeated in 5 years against good competition you act like he only won his last 2 fights.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Because he is a natural WW who moved up to MW for challenges. If he wins he will have moved up and beaten Lawler, Miller, and Hendo at MW. If Aldo, Mousasi, and Aoki all lose and he wins you have to put him atleast in the 4-7 area. Really you can argue his record would be more impressive from a p4p perspective than GSP, Hendo is tied with Franklin for second greatest MW of all time. The guy is undefeated in 5 years against good competition you act like he only won his last 2 fights.
How do I act like he only won his last two fights when I state in the post you quoted that he has a great string of wins and I recognize many others consider him top 10?

How can you say it could be considered better than GSP when the competition he fought when he moved up is hardly world class? Hendo is his first legit top 10. I respect the dude, and moving up in weight certainly helps your p4p status, but I still think the most important factor is the quality of your opponents.

Like you said, he has fought good competition, but Dan is the first great fighter he has fought. Anyways if he wins this fight I would not consider it crazy to have him on a pound for pound list.

I think he needs one more legit win over another top ten fighter then i would probably squeeze him at number 8 or 9.

Side note, Aoki isn't on my p4p so that won't make a difference. :)

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
If he beats henderson im going to punch a kitten :confused05:

Lets hope that doesnt happen :p

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Top10 definatly if he's able to defeat Hendo...

He cleaned the world out of every good WW not in the UFC before he moved up to MW..

Jake doesn't even like fighting at MW but is doing it to silence critics.....

I'd really like to see him move back down to 170 where he's not so outsized....

·
Registered
603 Posts
...does that put him in your P4P lists? I know its a massive if and i have the fight ending in Hendo KO or TKO (although i give Shields a much better chance than most.) I've underestimated Shields before, but wont do again.
Loads of people say he hasn't fought good competition but he has wins over Pyle, Condit, Okami, Lawler and Paul Daley - none of whom are cans.
How can you forget Jason "Mayhem" Miller,lol

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
That would be the biggest win of his career.

But he isnt anywhere near a P4P list IMO.......
Can you give me 10 fighters who deserve to be above him?

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Jake hasn't lost a fight since what 2004 or 2005?

He's on about a 13 fight win streak... 80 % of those fights he finished by the first or second rounds.....

He's defeated.....

Yushin Okami
Hayato Sakurai
Carlos Condit
Paul Daley
Jason Miller
Nick "The Goat" Thompson
Robbie Lawler
Dave Menne
Toby Imada
Mike Pyle...

These guys are all tough veterans..... He's held a title in every organization he's competed in...

He's a natrual WW moving up because he's cleaned out every WW that isn't in the UFC that's worth a damn...

At MW he's about to face the last MW and LHW champion of PRIDE.

If he wins this fight...... he deserves a very high ranking IMO.

Reactions: HexRei
1 - 20 of 39 Posts