Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my first ever post here 2 years or so ago i introduced my self etc and i stated that the only real reason i followed the ufc was because they had Shogun. Dont worry i have grown to love watching more fighters than him but he is still my favourite. But in the thread i asked people if they thought Shogun would dominate in the ufc like he did in Pride.... The vast majority of people slated him saying that he could never do that in the ufc because there are just too many damn good fighters in his division. Since in Pride he beat just about every contender in his class except wanderlei. Shortly after all this was the coleman fight and we all know what happened there i was at that event live and this put a downer even on my hopes. Now that Shogun has just done what nobody else could so far and in such a fashion i would like to re-ask the question whether or not you think he will dominate the division like he did in pride years ago...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Shogun has a better chance than most but the LHW division is so stacked full of talent it's really hard to say. Nobody has been able to hold the belt for any substantial amount of time since Chuck was on top. Since Rampage beat Chuck we've seen the belt change hands numerous times.

People thought Machida would be the one to hold onto the belt and dominate the division and we all saw how that turned out last weekend. There are just so many threats to Shogun's reign from a variety of opponents with different and intriguing styles. In the near future he's going to be matching up with Rashad or Rampage and longer on down the line he has prospects like Jon Jones gunning for his belt. Not to mention if Silva ever gets bored toying with MW's we could see a him make a run at Rua's belt. It's really just too soon to say my man :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
You should really break up your posts, That was really difficult to read. The reason he didnt do so good when he entered the UFC was because he was in bad shape, knee problems mainly.. He has all that taken care of now and its just getting in the best shape of your life now, which he seems to be after his 2 machida fights.

Will Shogun defend the title 5 times? who knows, it will be a hard road but he will definetly be in title talk all the time now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should really break up your posts, That was really difficult to read. The reason he didnt do so good when he entered the UFC was because he was in bad shape, knee problems mainly.. He has all that taken care of now and its just getting in the best shape of your life now, which he seems to be after his 2 machida fights.

Will Shogun defend the title 5 times? who knows, it will be a hard road but he will definetly be in title talk all the time now.
Sorry about that thats why i dont post so much i dont have much skill at that sort of thing. Thanks for both of your replies. A hard road it certainly will be but i believe he can do it. I dont see any fighter in the division or Anderson Silva that i would say Shogun will definitely lose this fight. War Shogun.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
he will be a dominant fighter no doubt about that but I think the days of having 1 LHW champ for years is over. there are simply too many A class fighters in that division.

Rampage
Rashad
Machida
JJ
lil Nog
Franklin :)
even chuck could make a comeback
Forest
Bader! how could I leave him out.

so, he is bound to lose to one of these guy at some point.

·
Registered
583 Posts
he will be a dominant fighter no doubt about that but I think the days of having 1 LHW champ for years is over. there are simply too many A class fighters in that division.

Rampage
Rashad
Machida
JJ
lil Nog
Forest

Franklin? Chuck? Forrest?
you might as well put Tito's name down while you're at it :sarcastic12:

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
okay. Tito, Jardine, Bonnar, Vera, brian stann. you get the point its a deep division. :sarcastic12:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would actually like to see Forrest work up to a fight with Shogun. I think it would be a very different ball game second time around.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
There are about 4-5 fighters at this moment who will constantly be around title contention. Add Bones Jones in about 1-2 years to that list and who knows.. Forrest isnt an amazing fighter, but like he said once..he is a dog and he just goes out there and fights.

UFC will also probably be more leiniant with Forrest in how many quality wins he needs for a title shot, especially if Shogun is champ. Shogun probably wants to get that 1 loss to Forrest out of the way also.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I'm so sure Shogun destroys forest in a rematch that i dont even care to see it. he needs actual competition, like rampage :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts

Rampage
Rashad
Machida
JJ
lil Nog
Forest
Bader! how could I leave him out.

It's true. The LHW belt is like a freaking hot potato. But Shogun has looked pretty amazing in his last 3 fights. I give him good odds against Machida, Little Nog and Forrest to best honest at this point. His aggressive striking looks just as sick now as it did back in Pride. He's going to have a real hard time with these heavy handed wrestlers though like Bader, Jones, Jackson and Evans. I think his chances of going on a 3 or more fight win streak are just about zip unless its against mainly strikers, and that excludes The Spider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts