Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cracked ribs have forced Wanderlei Silva out of next weekend's UFC 116 co-headliner with Yoshihiro Akiyama.

That's the word from UFC president Dana White, who today confirmed the injury with MMAFighting.com.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach Silva or his representatives for details, but a search is underway for a replacement.

UFC 116 takes place July 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Silva vs. Akiyama had been given second billing on the night's pay-per-view broadcast behind a heavyweight title-unification bout between champ Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Shane Carwin.

The bout between Akiyama (13-1-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Silva (33-10-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) had been rumored for a half year before UFC officials finally put it together.

Silva was coming off a triumphant return to the win, which came via a unanimous-decision victory over Michael Bisping at UFC 110. The victory followed back-to-back losses to Quinton Jackson and Rich Franklin.

Akiyama, meanwhile, has been inactive since his UFC debut this past July at UFC 100, where he defeated Alan Belcher via close split decision for his 11th straight victory.

For the latest on UFC 116, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19649/inj...-co-headliner-replacement-search-underway.mma

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, that's very disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised if Akiyama backs out now because of how long he's been waiting and how much he wants to fight Wanderlei. Hopefully that doesn't happen and they find a good replacement.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
There's talk Chris Leben has stepped up to the plate.

I am distraught over this news :( It was the fight I was most looking forward to at 116. Hope Wandy recovers super quick :(

·
Registered
816 Posts
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH un-fuckin-believable iv been hyped for this fight for so long and this was the main fight for me on that card :angry08:

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
:sarcastic05:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.