Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
This is a very interesting article i found about rematch's in UFC history.

I hope this works.
But in a relatively short period, we're still comparing oranges to oranges Rematches in two years or less that ended with the same winner:
  1. Dan Severn - Oleg Taktarov
  2. Oleg Taktarov - Dave Beneteau
  3. Randy Couture - Pedro Rizzo
  4. Dennis Hallman - Matt Hughes
  5. Guy Mezger - Alexander Otsuka
  6. Matt Hughes - Carlos Newton
  7. Wanderlei Silva - Hidehiko Yoshida
  8. Wanderlei Silva - Quinton Jackson
  9. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - Alistair Overeem
  10. Matt Hughes - Frank Trigg
  11. Mauricio Rua - Alistair Overeem
  12. Forrest Griffin - Stephan Bonnar
  13. Anderson Silva - Rich Franklin
  14. Georges St. Pierre - Matt Hughes
  15. Mike Brown - Urijah Faber
  16. Tito Ortiz - Ken Shamrock**
** - It was a trilogy, but the initial bout took place more than two years before the first rematch.
Trilogies won by the victor of the first bout:
  1. Wanderlei Silva - Kazushi Sakuraba
  2. Fedor Emelianenko - Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  3. Mirko Filipovic - Josh Barnett
  4. Jeremy Horn - Chael Sonnen
  5. Brian Stann - Steve Cantwell
Rematches won by the fighter who dominated the first bout before being caught by a sudden submission or knockout:
  1. Brock Lesnar - Frank Mir
  2. Chael Sonnen - Paulo Filho
  3. Cung Le - Scott Smith
Rematches won by the fighter who was on the wrong end of a controversial decision in the first right:
  1. Mauricio Rua - Lyoto Machida
Inconclusive two-fight series:
  1. Royce Gracie - Ken Shamrock (Second fight ended in a draw for lack of a judging system, although Shamrock clearly was in better shape at the end)
  2. Oleg Taktarov - Marco Ruas (Second fight ended in a draw)
  3. Randy Couture - Vitor Belfort** (The first fight ended in less than a minute because of a fluke eye injury caused by the edge of Belfort's glove)
  4. Ronaldo Souza - Jason Miller (Miller lost the rematch via disqualification after an illegal kick)
** -It was a trilogy, but the initial bout took place more than two years before the first rematch.
With victories over Cruz at WEC 50 (9 p.m. ET Wednesday, Versus) and Edgar at UFC 118 (10 p.m. ET Aug. 28, pay-per-view), Benavidez and Penn can join a select group. It takes less than two full hands to count the number of notable rematches or trilogies at the elite level that ended with a different result:
  1. Dan Severn - Ken Shamrock
  2. Tito Ortiz - Guy Mezger
  3. Royce Gracie - Hidehiko Yoshida
  4. Chuck Liddell - Randy Couture
  5. Kazuo Misaki - Dan Henderson
  6. Takanori Gomi - Marcus Aurelio
  7. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Josh Barnett
  8. Tim Sylvia - Andrei Arlovski
They forgot when GSP lost to serra then came back to win.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I thought I remember hearing Mike say during Lyoto/Shogun2 that in UFC history, there was something like 28 rematches and the winner of the first fight won 13, the loser won 13, and there were 2 draws (something like that, not sure of the total numbers.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I thought I remember hearing Mike say during Lyoto/Shogun2 that in UFC history, there was something like 28 rematches and the winner of the first fight won 13, the loser won 13, and there were 2 draws (something like that, not sure of the total numbers.
Yea I remember that one too :thumb02:

And Rogan was like.. that says Nothing lol^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts