Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It really depends on how you define "athlete", doesn't it?

Here are a few attributes that contribute to ones being considered a "freakish" athlete, and how Brock rates as it applies to MMA:

1. Big and Powerful: yes
2. Unusual agility for ones size & strength: yes
3. Quick Reflexes to counter strikes : no
4. Ability to evade strikes w/o losing composure no
5. 1-2 punch KO power no
6. threat of head hick ko no
7. finess and stamina for one's size yes
8. explosive power yes
9. can beat bigger, stronger men with his atheliticism ?

My basic point is that Lesnar is freakish in some regards, but is not elite in other areas of skills and athleticism, and that is apparent in the stand up game.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
How i see it.

3. Quick Reflexes to counter strikes : yes
4. Ability to evade strikes w/o losing composure yes(if he sucked at this Carwin would have KO'ed him)
5. 1-2 punch KO power yes(he just needs the accuracy to land on the jaw, like Carwin)
6. threat of head hick ko no(doesnt need it, his takedowns and ground control will make anyone think twice)
8. explosive power yes
9. can beat bigger, stronger men with his atheliticism yes(i think he'd beat tim sylvia)

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The guy almost made it onto a professional football team with zero football experience... I don't give a flying crap if he can head kick KO someone. The guy ran a 4.7 40yrd at 300lbs with a pulled groin.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I dont know what this is doing on the list, "4. Ability to evade strikes w/o losing composure no"

That has NOTHING to do with being athletic. He is a freak athlete, no matter how many negatives you try to make up. Who cares about a head kick? that doesnt define a freak athlete...

Like someone above said, He could have made the NFL if he actually wanted to dedicate time into it. The vikings basically wanted him, just wanted him to define his technique over seas in the NFL europe, he didnt want to leave his family behind so he declined.

·
Registered
646 Posts
He is an outstanding and dedicated athlete, but if the Viks wanted him they could have made room on the practice squad. He did suffer a motorcycle injury before training camp and that set him back but I think the main hang-up was his personality.

I'm on the fence about him being a freakish athlete, he's really only dropped my jaw one time and that was when he slugged HH. Otherwise he's been really good/dominant but not freakish.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
You've listed skills as athletic abilities.

You learn, and practice skills, and I don't think it would be smart for Brock to "threaten with the head kick"

Brock tried out for the NFL on a whim, with full time training he could have easily done that too, at least could have been on the practice squad.

Let's do the same thing for Carwin and see how it compares from what we've seen:

3. Quick Reflexes to counter strikes : quick to punch back, not to avoid
4. Ability to evade strikes w/o losing composure no. he eats them so far
5. 1-2 punch KO power yes!
6. threat of head kick ko HELL no
7. fitness and stamina for one's size fitness yes he looks dreamy, stamina NO
8. explosive power yes
9. can beat bigger, stronger men with his atheliticism nope, he didn't

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
In MMA he is, as physical specimen with a tremendous work ethic - most definitely. But compared to a lot of basketball players, NFL defensive ends, tight-ends, and 3-4 linebackers - Brock is a step or two below many.

Brock however does bring an outstanding wrestling background, is striking is nothing to be proud of.

There's like 25-35 guys every year out of college that are like 'super-human,' coming from the NCAA basketball and football. Take a some guys like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-1e6Faglw&feature=related .

In time we will see I think, as MMA becomes more mainstream, and guys can make NFL or NBA money - we'll see more Brock Lesnars and Jon Jones' coming in and putting in the time and training to become super athlete MMA fighters. MMA is on still a growing sport, the money still isn't there yet though.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts

Here are a few attributes that contribute to ones being considered a "freakish" athlete, and how Brock rates as it applies to MMA:

5. 1-2 punch KO power no
8. explosive power yes

My basic point is that Lesnar is freakish in some regards, but is not elite in other areas of skills and athleticism, and that is apparent in the stand up game.
I don't think those count as "athletic" like SJ said these are the things that come with skill, knowledge and technique.

To me the Athletic criteria are

Strength - yes he might be the strongest guy in the UFC
Speed - for a HW he's as fast as they come
Agility - when he took Heath Herrings back he showed he had the balance of a LW
Flexibility - no, though we haven't seen that yet
Endurance - so far so good
Durability - he survived a barrage from Carwin I think we can now say he's durable

As for his history they guy excelled in three sports. He was a world class and likely Olympic level wrestler. When he went into pro-wrestling he was one of the best mat wrestlers in less than a year. Now I understand that people don't view "pro-wrestling" as a real sport but wrestlers are judged on their match abilities much like gymnasts are. Brock was good, really good at it right out of the gate....that never happens only Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle was better quicker than Brock. And then he moved on to the Vikings who cut him on the last day, my understanding was that his cut had nothing to do with skill rather he was to old. Sadly all major sports teams are more obsessed with age over athletic ability.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
He is an outstanding and dedicated athlete, but if the Viks wanted him they could have made room on the practice squad. He did suffer a motorcycle injury before training camp and that set him back but I think the main hang-up was his personality.

I'm on the fence about him being a freakish athlete, he's really only dropped my jaw one time and that was when he slugged HH. Otherwise he's been really good/dominant but not freakish.
whats his personality got to do with being on a football team? don't tell me you're thinking about the post-fight celebration at UFC 100 and think thats the way he acts, LMFAO.

and beating someone up in a fight doesn't define you as a freak athlete.

the guys a freak athlete. you hear it from his training partners and you heard from the people he worked with in the WWE, and like it's already been said he could have made it in the NFL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really? does a bear fcking shit in the woods? end of story.

You asked whether he was freakish athlete not a freakish fighter.

5. 1-2 punch KO power no
8. explosive power yes

·
Registered
786 Posts
The guy almost made it onto a professional football team with zero football experience... I don't give a flying crap if he can head kick KO someone. The guy ran a 4.7 40yrd at 300lbs with a pulled groin.
The thing that stood out to me was Brock Lesnar scored a 37 inch vertical jump in the NFL camp, which is insane for a 290lb 6'2 guy. There are plenty of NBA players that weigh 100lbs less than him that can't jump that high.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
He's certainly a freakish athlete - it's different from being a freakish fighter...

But just look at the reasons mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, this dude moves like nothing else at 260-300 pounds... It's just unbelievable :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends on how you characterise 'freakish' really. I would say freakish is something that is far away from the norm, and when you look at his athletic statistics as well as his sporting accolades he is definately an elite athlete.

He is 280lbs of muscle at 6 foot 2, and his speeed and movement, particularly on the mat, are exceptional for a man of his size. He ran the 40 yard dash at an incredible pace. When he was in WWE he was doing backflips of the top rope weighing possibly over 300 pounds. A 37 inch vertical leap. A NCAA D1 Champion. I could go on and on...

He is without question a freak athlete. There are not many like him about.

·
Registered
646 Posts
whats his personality got to do with being on a football team? don't tell me you're thinking about the post-fight celebration at UFC 100 and think thats the way he acts, LMFAO.
Brock just has to be the center of attention, that type of attitude doesn't go well when your the FNG. During practice drills he would drive the QB to the ground and then do a celebration....that type of stuff.

and beating someone up in a fight doesn't define you as a freak athlete.
I agree, athlete is very subjective (i.e. is a bowler or maybe even a golfer an athlete?) It's almost like you'd have to say he's a freakish MMArtist....wait, never-mind, calling him an artist just doesn't seem right haha.

the guys a freak athlete. you hear it from his training partners and you heard from the people he worked with in the WWE, and like it's already been said he could have made it in the NFL.
This whole talk of him being able to cut it in the NFL is unjustified. He tried out for the queens, didn't make it, beats up some guys in MMA, now he could have made it?

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
This whole talk of him being able to cut it in the NFL is unjustified. He tried out for the queens, didn't make it, beats up some guys in MMA, now he could have made it?

He didnt make it because he didnt try to pursue it. The VIKINGS wanted to send him over to NFL europe to develop his skills a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
In MMA he is, as physical specimen with a tremendous work ethic - most definitely. But compared to a lot of basketball players, NFL defensive ends, tight-ends, and 3-4 linebackers - Brock is a step or two below many.

Brock however does bring an outstanding wrestling background, is striking is nothing to be proud of.

There's like 25-35 guys every year out of college that are like 'super-human,' coming from the NCAA basketball and football. Take a some guys like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-1e6Faglw&feature=related .

In time we will see I think, as MMA becomes more mainstream, and guys can make NFL or NBA money - we'll see more Brock Lesnars and Jon Jones' coming in and putting in the time and training to become super athlete MMA fighters. MMA is on still a growing sport, the money still isn't there yet though.
pshhh please... I'll take your 230lbs back flipping guys and raising you a back flipping 320lbs guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6k1LxVogkQ

·
Registered
468 Posts

If that's the case, then why are NFA, NBA and MLB athlete's training in MMA and not the other way round? In terms of strength and endurance, IMO MMA fighters are second to none. Watch Randy Couture's/Jay Glazer's "MMA Athletics" and you'll see proof of the difference. I've heard many football/basketball players admit that the intensity of MMA training is far higher than anything they've done before, and takes them to a "whole new level".

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.