Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does it seems that UFC is not acting like a sport that it once was, and now more and more coming into the age of sports entertainment like the WWE. With Dana acting like a Vince Mcmahon and his on going saga with fighters like Tito,Randy,Rampage, and now Anderson Silva. Even if you look at it the Ultimate Fighter which is now starting to remind you of a reailty show that needs to be on MTV drama. All Im saying is less talk and more MMA fights keep Opinions to yourself Dana and give us better fights for our bucks!!:confused02:

check out the Jim Rome clip & you can see what im talking about!!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5088995&categoryid=2963048

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I dont see it as WWE not in the least. And he even said that TUF was a reality show and he compaired it to survior in the sense that Spike paid for this show to be aired and they cant let info get out....Have you not watched any of the past TUF seasons???? It has always been like this Dana is there to hype fights and sell the sport he has to make lemonaid aout of lemons half the time. I dont blame him about the Andy bs Dana a decision and I hope he sticks to it....I agree its a little much with the drama but I love mma enough to overlook it...Its kinda like having a smoking hot chick that has a retarded laugh....Yeah its annoying but the end result is great.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think so . . . not in the least. Dana's job is, and always has been, to promote his fighters and his fight cards. He is excellent at what he does. Nobody can tell me that they haven't been more pumped to see a fight after watching a countdown show. I don't care who is fighting, they hype is what sells the fight. So to me, Dana is just doing his job and getting everyone excited to see a fight. On the same note, he has always worn his heart on his sleeve. If Dana feels like saying something, he is going to say it. The only difference is that now he is doing it in the spotlight thanks to all the internet blogs and interviews that he does not to mention the reality show.

The bottom line is that at the end of the day there are no scripted fights. There are still real fighters . . . ughh . . . really fighting. THAT is what makes MMA exciting. All the other "stuff" that goes on is just to hype the fights and to pump the UFC brand. To me, that is good business. Whereas the WWE is nothing but a live soap opera. It's all, dare I say, FAKE. Everything that happens with Dana and fighters, etc., is real. So, I can't really think that they are the same.

Good thread though, + rep!

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Dana said a couple of years ago that he has taken some of what Vince has done with the WWE and somehow incorporated it into the UFC to make a better product. But him not letting you know what TUF is what it is, You cant ruin half a season by telling the world what happened to Tito.

I think Dana is over-reacting a bit in the whole Silva situation though. He sure wont cut him regardless of what he does, SF having Silva basically solidifies them as a organization even more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In A Way

Dana has stated numerous times how much he admires Vince McMahon and there are many things about the way he promotes the UFC that remind me of the WWF (I'm old school, screw this WWE crap, lol!).

Basically the rule of thumb to everything Dana says, he's saying it to promote his brand. Couple of recent examples:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2008/11/05/dana-white-ultimate-fighters-phillipe-nover-reminds-me-of-geor/

And does anyone really think he's going to cut Anderson Silva? If he did Anderson would be in Dream, Strikeforce or boxing Roy Jones. No matter what anyone says a motivated Anderson Silva is an amazing fighter to watch.

Personally I think Dana is an extremely shrewd and calculated businessman and everything that comes out of this mouth is done for a reason. Even telling the truth can be manipulative if done the right way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
it's you.

Dana makes a great point about the reality show - and SPIKE invested in it and to let some of the details out before it's aired is bad business. Remember this is a;; business to these folks. By letting out some of the details of an unaired show is probably a breach of contract.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Him trying to tell Andy how to fight saying shit like he should rush people and knock them out like Tyson and threatening to fire him because he doesn't is bullshit and makes the UFC's brand of MMA no longer a sport if he does it. I don't care about the reality show stuff. I think setting guys up in the house to **** up for ratings and then acting superior to them is bullshit but it doesn't hurt the sport.

He is the promoter though and it is his job to hype stuff up and create controversy. Just don't tell fighters how to fight and it is all good.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's not telling him how to fight, but rather he had better fight. Running around the ring for two/three rounds is not fighting. There is a difference. For the love of god man, even the ref had to step in and tell him so.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Remember kids say your prayers.. eat your vitamins and.....

WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN DANA WHITE AND THE FEROCIOUS FERTITA BROTHERS LACE THEIR BOOTS UP AND RUN WILD ON YOU??!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If anything, the UFC needs more leg dropping. A moonsault or shooting star press off the top of the cage once in a while would be pretty awesome too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.