Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, before Fedor signed with SF it was the general consensus that the HW division was weak overall and that the UFC's was best only because it was weak everywhere else too. But with the addition of Fedor and the recent news (to me at least) that Andrei Arlovski is still a member of SF's HW division, is StrikeForce's division actually better?

StrikeForce HW's:

Fedor Emelianenko
Andrei Arlovski (?)
Brett Rogers
Alistair Overeem
Fabricio Werdum
Antonio Silva
Herschel Walker
Bobby Lashley(?)
Daniel Cormier
Mike Kyle

UFC's HW's:

Brock Lesnar
Shane Carwin
Cain Velasquez
Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Junior Dos Santos
Gabriel Gonzaga
Cheick Kongo
Mirko Cro Cop
Paul Buentello
Ben Rothwell

Obviously the UFC has more, I'm just not going to list them all. So the UFC has much more depth but in terms of quality I think it's perfectly arguable that StrikeForce have a better division. If we were to have a 5 on 5 UFC vs. SF with the right fights SF could win. Also I feel it's only a matter of time before Tim Sylvia and Jeff Monson are added to SF's Roster, who are both very credible fighters.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The UFC's is much better as a whole. While Strikeforce may have the king, the rest of the army isn't up to par. Rodgers is very one dimensional, I sneezed two days ago and knocked out Arlosvki, Werdum should still be in the UFC, Antonio Silva blows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The UFC's is much better as a whole. While Strikeforce may have the king, the rest of the army isn't up to par. Rodgers is very one dimensional, I sneezed two days ago and knocked out Arlosvki, Werdum should still be in the UFC, Antonio Silva blows.
This is a one-sided oversimplification. Rogers proved he wasnt one-dimensional when he got on top of fedor and landed several times right to fedor's face. how many people can you say have honestly done that?

To be fair to arlovski, the only people to knock him out in the past 5 years are rogers, fedor, and sylvia. that's not a list to sneeze at. he is still a top 5-10 HW. antonio silva proved himself in the eyes of many in his fight with werdum. while he can improve, he definitely has top-level striking and his cardio is very impressive. he stuck with werdum and took a round.

i think SF's and UFC's divisions are quite even, with a slight edge going to the UFC because thats where the money is. But i think if SF does some smart business moves in the next year and aquire some proven free agents (monson, sylvia) and add some young talent to their roster, we may well have a credible competitor to the UFC.:thumbsup:

Reactions: wukkadb

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yeah I'm not so sure how well SF's Heavy weights would get on in the UFC. After all, some of them have been there already. The question about Overeem has been long standing, and he's the HW champ, but most agree Overeem probably wouldn't even be a contender in the UFC.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
This is a one-sided oversimplification. Rogers proved he wasnt one-dimensional when he got on top of fedor and landed several times right to fedor's face. how many people can you say have honestly done that?

To be fair to arlovski, the only people to knock him out in the past 5 years are rogers, fedor, and sylvia. that's not a list to sneeze at. he is still a top 5-10 HW. antonio silva proved himself in the eyes of many in his fight with werdum. while he can improve, he definitely has top-level striking and his cardio is very impressive. he stuck with werdum and took a round.

i think SF's and UFC's divisions are quite even, with a slight edge going to the UFC because thats where the money is. But i think if SF does some smart business moves in the next year and aquire some proven free agents (monson, sylvia) and add some young talent to their roster, we may well have a credible competitor to the UFC.:thumbsup:
How does landing strikes on Fedor mean he wasn't one dimensional? The dude is huge, very strong, and a striker. But thats it. And his striking is very one dimensional and he left a lot of openings which is why Fedor was landing more strikes with a much smaller reach, and then eventually took his head off.

I actually really like AA and wish he would get his career on track, but come on, he really has a glass jaw.

Antonio Silva proved to me that hes a slow lumbering guy with large punches, but no authentic muay thai skills. Hes all hype.

Other than Fedor, I'd pick most of the UFC division to smash everyone on the SF list. Except that GG can't ever beat Werdum for some reason.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rodgers is one dimensional.

So are Lesnar and Cain. At least Rodgers gets people off their asses to do more than just throw bottles at a red-neck Minnesotan because he's the same douche bag everyone hated in high school. At least Rodgers has a punchers chance.

Lesnar is a predictable fighter. Tackle, take to the ground, lay down. Not hard to counter.

Cain is an inexperienced predictable fighter.

Carwin isn't amazing. Slightly better than Rodgers, possibly. Not much more though.

If you want to know the truth. The best HW that the UFC has is Big Nog.

What happened when Fedor saw him in his prime?

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
How old are you ? That is you in your pic correct? Reason I ask is because you look young.. Being young mixed with your comment would be the reason why I say you havent watched shit on Fedor's pride days.. Go pick up some Pride DVD's Fedor has taken some ass beatings.. Rodgers was not the first to ever gnp some on Fedor.. Thats jus fuckin crazy..

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
No, UFC is better. Outside Fedor I believe that Cain, Lesnar, Dos Santos, Carwin, Nog and Mir would beat almost any of Strikeforces HWs.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah he did.
ehhh, id have to disagree, i mean yeah he definitely didnt showcase a wide variaty of skills but i think he showed his grappling and ground work are at least subpar, i mean cmon how many people expected him to get up after the times he got taken down?

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
ehhh, id have to disagree, i mean yeah he definitely didnt showcase a wide variaty of skills but i think he showed his grappling and ground work are at least subpar, i mean cmon how many people expected him to get up after the times he got taken down?
I c and understand what your saying .. But that doesnt mean much skill wise when it came to the size diff and so on if anything it should have been slightly expected.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I c and understand what your saying .. But that doesnt mean much skill wise when it came to the size diff and so on if anything it should have been slightly expected.
There are a lot of guys bigger than Fedor who went to the ground with him and didn't fare nearly as well as Rogers did. Rogers avoided a kimura and an arm bar attempt and landed some great shots to Fedor on the ground. Rogers even stuffed a couple take down attempts. I guess in my opinion that at least makes him competent in his non-core competencies...

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
There are a lot of guys bigger than Fedor who went to the ground with him and didn't fare nearly as well as Rogers did. Rogers avoided a kimura and an arm bar attempt and landed some great shots to Fedor on the ground. Rogers even stuffed a couple take down attempts. I guess in my opinion that at least makes him competent in his non-core competencies...
You wording the action sounds good . Justifies your argument. A replay of the actual event speaks other wise.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
You wording the action sounds good . Justifies your argument. A replay of the actual event speaks other wise.
If you'd elaborate a bit I'd appreciate it. Fedor is supposedly one of the best grapplers in the world and Rogers made it a fight. If that doesn't speak to Roger's game I don't know what would, aside from him submitting Fedor?

Watching Houston Alexander or Thales Leites is a good example of one dimensional fighters (perhaps even Maia). I just don't see Rogers fitting the description.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts