Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Big fight in the middleweight division as the stylebender meets Kelvin Gastelum this weekend at UFC 236. Kelvin is undersized and a good wrestler with good boxing skills vs Israel who is high flying and moving quickly after his win over Anderson Silva. Who are you picking? Stylebender or Kelvin?

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I think Adesanya will use his 8.5 inch reach advantage & flick his jab in Kelvin's face from a distance. He'll feint and feint and try to pick Kelvin apart when he bites on anything and over-commits.

Kelvin hits hard but doesn't move his feet well enough to cover distance the way he needs to get inside the jab. Kelvin needs a good leg or body kick to chop Adesanya down and inflict damage before I think he'll have a good opportunity at finding Adesanya's chin. He needs to do what Justin Gaethje did and try to trap Adesanya against the fence so he can land something solid. Else he could get drowned in the deep water at the center of the cage.

I think oddsmakers got it right and Israel should be the favorite.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I think Adesanya will use his 8.5 inch reach advantage & flick his jab in Kelvin's face from a distance. He'll feint and feint and try to pick Kelvin apart when he bites on anything and over-commits.

Kelvin hits hard but doesn't move his feet well enough to cover distance the way he needs to get inside the jab. Kelvin needs a good leg or body kick to chop Adesanya down and inflict damage before I think he'll have a good opportunity at finding Adesanya's chin. He needs to do what Justin Gaethje did and try to trap Adesanya against the fence so he can land something solid. Else he could get drowned in the deep water at the center of the cage.

I think oddsmakers got it right and Israel should be the favorite.
Well said, I picture this going quite similarly. I imagine Kelvin is going to try to bring Adesanya into his range by backing up to the cage and using leg kicks to draw Israel in and perhaps setting up a take down or an explosive attack in a very Tyron Woodley/Anthony Pettis against Wonderboy fashion. And connecting in that circumstance is really all the chance I give Kelvin at taking this.

Adesanya proved against Anderson that he can remain patient and not get drawn into a scenario where he is vulnerable to a counter punch. I see this one heavily in Israel's favor.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
This is an exciting fight. Both gentleman are absolute beasts. I think Kelvin is going to be looking for takedowns and Israel is gonna be attacking the body of Kelvin. Lets me real though...Not finishing Silva wasn't really that impressive of a win as he probably could have. Maybe he had a Cro Cop/ Pat Barry moment, but I'm looking forward to seeing Israel probably fighting the most elite well rounded MMA fighter of his career. Should make for a very challenging fight IMO.

·
The Title Guy
17,615 Posts
Yeah I was thinking similarly that the fights going to go depend on how each fighter is able to institute his fight game plan upon his opponent. Kelvin needs to concentrate on his wrestling while Israel needs to keep the fight standing where he has the advantage. The man that can enforce that on the other will win the fight and possibly finish.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Yeah, hopefully these guys are getting good advice going into this fight. Things like, "Hit him but don't get hit."

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
From the way Adesanya locked up that guillotine and triangle, would it be fair to think Adesanya didn't train his stand up much in preparation for this fight. He focused on his wrestling and sub game.

On the opposite end, Kelvin's striking looked good while his wrestling and grappling appeared a bit lackluster. Kelvin mostly trained his stand up and ignored his wrestling and grappling.

Both guys could have focused on the areas they're weakest assuming they'd have an advantage in the areas they specialize in. Interesting how that plays out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts