Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
“It’s gonna be gross. It’s gonna be disgusting. It’s gonna be vile.”

What else would you expect from a fighter with the nickname “Filthy?”

Not known for being really strong in any one area, filthy isn’t such a bad way to describe Tom Lawlor’s style of fighting.

An alumnus of the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series, Lawlor brings a raw, aggressive attitude to the ring that gives him somewhat of a pro wrestling persona, thanks in no small part to his vaudevillian appearances at weigh-ins and eccentric ring entrances, but also do in large part to his scrappy workmanlike approach to fighting.

It’s an approach that is rather unique in the UFC and has served to endear Lawlor to most fans, but come Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal, he may for once find himself in the throws of hostility.

Lawlor steps into the Octagon at UFC 113 across from Canada’s own Joe Doerksen, who maintains the appropriate nickname, at least for this fight, of “El Dirte.” So Lawlor will likely give up his sympathetic status.

“I don’t get a chance very often to play the heal. I think it’s mostly because usually I’m the underdog and the crowd kind of takes pity on me,” he explains. “In this case, I guess somebody said I’m the betting odds favorite. This might be my one chance to turn heal.”

You can just about lay money on that. International MMA fans are fairly accepting of anyone who puts on a good fight, but Doerksen is still on home soil and will surely receive strong support from his rabid countrymen.

That’s okay though, Lawlor knows it’s never easy in the cage regardless of who or where you fight.

“A fight’s a fight. I’m gonna fight somebody that’s tough, regardless. Joe Doerksen just happens to be a little bit shorter, little bit thicker than Tim Credeur, just from a different country. He has more experience,” Lawlor told MMAWeekly.com recently.

Credeur was his originally scheduled opponent, which leads to more of the reason why it will be a hostile situation for Lawlor, who is returning after a loss to Aaron Simpson in January.

Doerksen isn’t just fighting on home turf; he’s also fighting for his career. At 32 years of age and with 56 professional bouts on his resume, Doerksen has been down the UFC road before, and it’s a road filled with potholes.

In his six UFC attempts, Doerksen has only landed on top one time. Even with as many events as the promotion runs these days, pushing over 30 per year, a record like that doesn’t earn many return tickets to the big show, and he knows it.

Riding hot on a five-fight winning streak, Doerksen needs to make the most of his shot in the Octagon. If he doesn’t, he could easily find this road to be a dead end.

Lawlor isn’t quite in the same straights, but coming off a loss, he realizes that he has to get back on track as soon as possible. He didn’t win “The Ultimate Fighter.” He doesn’t have a background littered with All American credentials. He’s a hard-nosed scrapper that keeps working to get better and fighting for his place at the dinner table.

And that’s just what he’ll do come fight night in Montreal. Expect Lawlor to step in the cage and scrap.

“I’m gonna go out there and do my thing whatever my thing is.”
link:http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11400&zoneid=13

sounds like he's looking to go all out like in his last fight
sounds awesome lawlermania by tko in rd two

·
Banned
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Such a big fan of Lawlor his personality is the best thing about him but his striking has so much improved we saw that against simpson where he should of won the fight!
yeah he was robbed! and everyone expected that simpson was gonna blast him because of his power but filthy came out guns blazing and nearly finished him, i became a real fan of his after that fight instead of thinking about him as that funny guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.