Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question to ask the hardcore MMA guys about this fight coming up between Mayweather and McGregor. This is a serious question not some fandom bull shit so if this isn't the place for it someone point me in that direction. I know everyone's chest is out and people have taken sides for multiple reasons, partly based on some other issue they are trying to prove. But Saturday night none of that will matter because at some point the bell will ring and both Mayweather and McGregor will come together wearing boxing gloves. What I think will happen that point is irrelevant because I'm interested in what may happen the next day.
Lets say it plays out like this. Conor finds himself lost in the ring, out of ideas with minimal training to revert to. Standing in front of him happens to be a person who has spent the last 35 years doing exactly this and it gets ugly. And when it gets ugly in boxing it gets ugly. This in my opinion is the worst case scenario for Conor and regardless of your rooting interest you have to admit its possible.
I want to know from the real MMA crowd if he gets embarrassed will it effect you as a fan in any way. I think this is a valid question because if he does get embarrassed then everything is on the table as a possible lie. This means that in order to cash some checks, Dana White, Conor, and the whole UFC was willing to squeeze that kind of money out of you knowing they were lying. Not only will they have ruined their own reputation they tried to take gym and locker room etiquette with them by releasing the sparing videos. There is a reason those cultures exist and in order to sell his fight he was willing to disregard that. That will come back to haunt the sport if it becomes acceptable.
I'm not trying to rip the sport or even paint a picture of how I think it will turn out. But part of me thinks this has con job written all over it and if that plays out someone will pay. I've seen all the talk about fight and what will happen inside the ring. But I don't ever see anything about what happens next if in the end the Boxer wins the Boxing match and the fans feel cheated.

·
The Title Guy
17,856 Posts
To me it's not going to change anything. Conor is a MMA fighter going into boxing up against possibly the greatest fighter in the sport. From the beginning Floyd was the favorite so he wins it's not surprising and everyone gets a paycheck.

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
Most MMA fans think he's going to lose, and most also realise its nothing but a money fight.

The only way I see Conors stock being harmed is if he quits on his stool or gets KO'd really early. I don't see either happening, although I can totally visualise Conors team not allowing him to answer the bell if he takes to much damage or throwing in the towel.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Either that or by some miracle McGregor does knock him out.
That would be really surprising. He doesn't have much chance against Mayweather in a boxing match, but it would be the other way around with Mayweather not having much chance against Conor if they fought MMA or kickboxing... imo.

·
The Title Guy
17,856 Posts
I agree the odds are low that Conor will win but it is possible. True in MMA and kickboxing Conor would have the advantage but Mayweather was the one basically dictating the terms of the fight so yeah. Though apparently Conor requested the lighter gloves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts