Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11636&zoneid=13

There are a couple of Spike TV cards in the autumn he could easily debut if it's the fight night it'll probably be against Stun Gun. If it's UFC 120 it'll probably be the winner of the Paulo Thiago/Martin Kampmann fight.

Note to Strikeforce:
Basically dickslapping your Middleweight Champion when his contract is up is a dumb shit move.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I doubt it'd be against stun gun, he's a good prospect for the wrestling dominated ww division...besides, I think the Donger could pull off a decision over Shields. I see Shields getting a top 10 or 5 with little to no ground game and get boosted to a title shot or at least fight for #1 contender status.

BTW: I lol'd when I read this

"Here's the reality, I can't talk to him while he's under contract. We don't play like that, we don't do that," said White.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I am unbelievably excited for Jake Shields in the UFC. He's honestly the only acquisition that has interested me since Machida. God willing, he's fighting at WW and I can scratch the GSP vs Shields dream fight off my list!

Also to the OP, your note to Strikeforce: awesomely awesome on an awesome level. repped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
to be fair to jake after he has laid on guys for a while he usually does us the courtesy of subbing them unlike Fitch!
Yeah against subpar opponents, he couldn't submit Henderson or Miller in most recent fights so I don't see him able to submit many guys in the UFC, especially in the top 10 who is more then likely what he's gonna get for his first fight.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Yeah against subpar opponents, he couldn't submit Henderson or Miller in most recent fights so I don't see him able to submit many guys in the UFC, especially in the top 10 who is more then likely what he's gonna get for his first fight.
Miller has only been submitted once in his career and Hendo has only ever been submitted by lil nog and Anderson, so not subbing them is not the biggest crime!

Plus he got easy subs on Paul Daley (who Kos couldn't submit) and Robbie Lawlor who is a very good fighter!

Don't underestimate Jake, he may not have great stand up or KO power but he will finish some good fighters in the UFC!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think Dan Hardy is that bad of an option. He's got solid name value following Primetime at UFC 111 and Shields should able to dominate him on the ground. Plus if Shields submits him while GSP couldn't there's a nice little storyline there. Of course if Hardy wins he can't really challenge GSP next (pending GSP beats Koscheck).

I like Shields vs. the winner of Fitch/Alves. Winner would be a legit #1 contender. And again, if Shields could finish Fitch/Alves while GSP couldn't it makes for a solid story.

I just hope he doesn't get a mediocre Welterweight to try and showcase him. Too much risk of it backfiring.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't think Dan Hardy is that bad of an option. He's got solid name value following Primetime at UFC 111 and Shields should able to dominate him on the ground. Plus if Shields submits him while GSP couldn't there's a nice little storyline there. Of course if Hardy wins he can't really challenge GSP next (pending GSP beats Koscheck).

I like Shields vs. the winner of Fitch/Alves. Winner would be a legit #1 contender. And again, if Shields could finish Fitch/Alves while GSP couldn't it makes for a solid story.

I just hope he doesn't get a mediocre Welterweight to try and showcase him. Too much risk of it backfiring.
Only if Alves wins.
If Fitch wins he'll be 13-1 (IIRC) in the UFC and more deserving of a title shot than anyone else BY FAR.

I like feeding Hardy to him (probably because I dont like Hardy). If they want him to fight for the title soon then I think thats the safest way. And if Hardy KO's Sheilds in the first, after being dominated by the UFC champ, then that just makes SF look that much weaker (he is the champ of two SF divisions -basically).

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Anyone that isnt a very good wrestler with very good sub defense wont be able to beat Shields. Shields top control is ridiculous and his sub skills are also pretty damn good. I could see him subbing almost anyone in the ww division. It makes me laugh that people actually think stun gun would have a chance in hell against Shields. The only other welterweight who is better then Shields at maintaining control on the ground is GSP and he isnt better at it by a lot.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Anyone that isnt a very good wrestler with very good sub defense wont be able to beat Shields. Shields top control is ridiculous and his sub skills are also pretty damn good. I could see him subbing almost anyone in the ww division. It makes me laugh that people actually think stun gun would have a chance in hell against Shields. The only other welterweight who is better then Shields at maintaining control on the ground is GSP and he isnt better at it by a lot.
Stun Gun would KO him standing you are underestimating the hips he has he can avoid the takedown.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Stun Gun would KO him standing you are underestimating the hips he has he can avoid the takedown.
If Daley, Hendo, Lawlor, and Misaki couldnt KO Shields, Stun Gun has no chance in hell. Do you seriously think Stun Gun would have a chance in hell of taking down Shields or avoiding being taken down by him? Shields completely outgrappled Hendo, Miller, Okami, Condit, and Sakurai. Stun Gun brings nothing to the table that Shields hasnt dealt with already from much better and larger fighters.

·
6,517 Posts
If Daley, Hendo, Lawlor, and Misaki couldnt KO Shields, Stun Gun has no chance in hell. Do you seriously think Stun Gun would have a chance in hell of taking down Shields or avoiding being taken down by him? Shields completely outgrappled Hendo, Miller, Okami, Condit, and Sakurai. Stun Gun brings nothing to the table that Shields hasnt dealt with already from much better and larger fighters.
You didn't list anyone with the skillset that Stun Gun has so yes he does bring new things to the table. You basically rattled off mostly people with shitty defensive grappling as if that means anything when we are talking about a fourth degree blackbelt in judo. Shields does not have a great shot he isn't taking down Stun Gun with ease, he probably isn't subbing him if he does get him down, and he sure as hell isn't stopping him with strikes. In fact if the fight does go to the ground it is probably via uchi mata.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
You didn't list anyone with the skillset that Stun Gun has so yes he does bring new things to the table. You basically rattled off mostly people with shitty defensive grappling as if that means anything when we are talking about a fourth degree blackbelt in judo. Shields does not have a great shot he isn't taking down Stun Gun with ease, he probably isn't subbing him if he does get him down, and he sure as hell isn't stopping him with strikes. In fact if the fight does go to the ground it is probably via uchi mata.
Okami has good wrestling and an extremely good top game. Hendo was an olympic caliber wrestler. I dont understand how you can possibly believe that stund gun could KO or sub Shields. Daley couldnt KO Shields and Stun Gun couldnt even stop Sadollah (the same guy that got shit canned by Johnny Hendricks in like thirty seconds).

·
6,517 Posts
Okami has good wrestling and an extremely good top game. Hendo was an olympic caliber wrestler. I dont understand how you can possibly believe that stund gun could KO or sub Shields. Daley couldnt KO Shields and Stun Gun couldnt even stop Sadollah (the same guy that got shit canned by Johnny Hendricks in like thirty seconds).
Hendo and Okami have terrible defensive wrestling and can't do anything off of their backs. Hendo wasn't even ******* attempting to sprawl in that fight how is that any kind of evidence. Daley has no grappling skills he is a kickboxer Stun Gun is a Judoka who can KO people that is not the same thing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts