Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to have em in the UFC...but "The Spider" I think not...

Strikeforce released its middleweight champion, Jake Shields, from his contract with the organization on Wednesday, according to an industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The 31-year-old Shields had been in a final-phase “matching period” of his recently completed contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion, which allowed him to receive bids from other organizations, including the UFC, that Strikeforce could review and match in order to keep his services. However, the source said Strikeforce waived that contractual right in its final 2-3 weeks and opted to release the Cesar Gracie fighter altogether before the period expired.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed to Sherdog.com that the promotion informed Jack Shields, the fighter’s manager and father, of the release on Wednesday. Coker would not comment further on the decision.

“In the conversation we had today, they said they felt that Jake was leaning towards the UFC. Honestly, we were talking to them with an open mind, though Jake wants to fight the best,” said the elder Shields. “Between Strikeforce and EliteXC, Jake had the chance to fight on Showtime and CBS four or five times against some top fighters like Dan Henderson and Robbie Lawler. Strikeforce gave him great opportunities and exposure. They’ve been nothing but great for Jake.”

Shields, who successfully defended his title against former Pride Fighting Championships champion and UFC middleweight Henderson on April 17 in Nashville, Tenn., opted to not negotiate a renewal contract with Strikeforce prior to the bout. The fighter’s contract, which was originally drawn up by Pro Elite and purchased by Strikeforce after the short-lived fight organization went bankrupt in October 2008, also did not contain a standard “champion’s clause,” which could have placed stipulations on Shields’ renegotiations while he remained a titleholder.

Prior to news of the release, Jack Shields told Sherdog.com that he submitted the fighter’s asking price to the UFC on Wednesday and was awaiting an initial bid from the rival promotion to pass onto Strikeforce for review. The elder Shields said he submitted figures for a series of bouts he thought requisite if his son fought the top contenders in both the UFC’s welterweight and middleweight divisions.

Shields said his son would like to debut as a UFC middleweight, possibly against champion Anderson Silva, as welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will be tied up with “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV series and a pending bout with rival coach Josh Koscheck later this year.

“We didn’t come to agreement with Strikeforce, but Jake’s excited to challenge himself against the likes of Anderson Silva and others in the UFC,” said Shields.

In recent weeks, Strikeforce’s Coker had said the promotion had initial plans to hold a four-, eight-, or even 16-man tournament to crown a new champion if Shields vacated.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St...ds-Shields-Wants-Shot-at-Anderson-Silva-25435

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm surprised he wanted to stay at MW. I thought for sure he'd drop back down to 170 when he came to the UFC. Regardless, I think he'll do well in either division but I don't see him holding the belt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm surprised he wanted to stay at MW. I thought for sure he'd drop back down to 170 when he came to the UFC. Regardless, I think he'll do well in either division but I don't see him holding the belt.
If you're Jake Shields and you see an Anderson Silva who hasn't seemed well motivated of late, this is the perfect time to go after that fight. Try to sneak in under the radar, so to speak, and fight him when he's not 100% motivated.

I'm not necessarily saying that AS isn't motivated....but.... well hell, yeah, I guess I am.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you're Jake Shields and you see an Anderson Silva who hasn't seemed well motivated of late, this is the perfect time to go after that fight. Try to sneak in under the radar, so to speak, and fight him when he's not 100% motivated.

I'm not necessarily saying that AS isn't motivated....but.... well hell, yeah, I guess I am.
I can understand the timing, sure, but I also understand that I don't think Shields will get an immediate title shot. Unlike when the UFC acquired Pride, they don't want to make it seem like Strikeforce champions are legitimate champions. More than likely they'll make Shields prove himself in a fight or two before a title shot.

But, the guy is a professional and knows what he's doing.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Shields put muscle mass on to move to 185 properly, I always saw him fighting at 185 in the UFC TBH. I only see him dropping to 170 if he fails to perform well at 185, which given the lack of world class wrestling, bar Sonnen, in the division would be a surprise. I see Shields taking most guys at 185 out, bar Silva.

Reactions: HitOrGetHit

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Shields put muscle mass on to move to 185 properly, I always saw him fighting at 185 in the UFC TBH. I only see him dropping to 170 if he fails to perform well at 185, which given the lack of world class wrestling, bar Sonnen, in the division would be a surprise. I see Shields taking most guys at 185 out, bar Silva.
I agree that he made the jump to 185 properly. Physically he looks great. I guess I thought he'd just drop to 170 to have a size advantage. Regardless, the UFC is tough and both 170 and 185 are rough divisions. I'd like to see Shields rematch Okami at 185 (WAR OKAMI!) or go up against Maia.

Probably more interesting match ups for him at 185... So yeah, I guess I'm glad he's going there. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dropping to WW though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can understand the timing, sure, but I also understand that I don't think Shields will get an immediate title shot. Unlike when the UFC acquired Pride, they don't want to make it seem like Strikeforce champions are legitimate champions. More than likely they'll make Shields prove himself in a fight or two before a title shot.

But, the guy is a professional and knows what he's doing.
Agreed. let's see him fight a couple "legitimizers" first. Who would you vote for? Start with Kendall Grove or someone similar?... move up to Bisping... maybe fight Rich Franklin to get a taste for how really big these middleweights can be. Maybe throw a BJJ wizard at him? heck, Belcher would be a nice fight for him, eh? Comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Get stomped by Andy, drop down, get stomped by GSP, Hendo style. i honestly dont see him beatin either champion, which just makes him another faces that cant.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Agreed. let's see him fight a couple "legitimizers" first. Who would you vote for? Start with Kendall Grove or someone similar?... move up to Bisping... maybe fight Rich Franklin to get a taste for how really big these middleweights can be. Maybe throw a BJJ wizard at him? heck, Belcher would be a nice fight for him, eh? Comments/suggestions?
I think a good warm up match would be Dan Miller. Miller is on the cusp of getting cut - Let them fight. If Miller manages to win, HUGE upset. If not, you get to cut some fat off the MW division.

After that, there are two routes. Go with the Shields/Okami rematch but know that it's going to be the most boring fight of all time, or send him against Marquardt so Marquardt can either get pounded on for 3 rounds or redeem himself against wrestlers.

While I'd like to see him fight Belcher, I think they'll keep Belcher safe from him. Belcher would get held down and pounded on to a Shields UD win. Not that exciting and knocks Belcher down the ladder.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
So, hes fighting at MW. Thank god, I thought they might do Fitch vs Shields at WW.:praise01:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
"While I'd like to see him fight Belcher, I think they'll keep Belcher safe from him. Belcher would get held down and pounded on to a Shields UD win. Not that exciting and knocks Belcher down the ladder."

?

I think you are seriously under-rating Belcher.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
People forget that Dan Henderson dominated Anderson Silva in the first round and Travis lutter was very close to finishing Anderson. After seeing what Shields did to Hendo, who knows how well he could control Silva on the ground. Very interesting match up.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I don't think Dana is dumb enough to make Leites/Maia 3 happen.

People forget that Dan Henderson dominated Anderson Silva in the first round and Travis lutter was very close to finishing Anderson. After seeing what Shields did to Hendo, who knows how well he could control Silva on the ground. Very interesting match up.
Hendo at no point dominated Silva and Lutter never came close to finishing Andy.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
"While I'd like to see him fight Belcher, I think they'll keep Belcher safe from him. Belcher would get held down and pounded on to a Shields UD win. Not that exciting and knocks Belcher down the ladder."

?

I think you are seriously under-rating Belcher.
Could be, but Okami smothered Belcher to get the unanimous decision. Jake Shields out-smothered Okami, therefore while I know MMA math doesn't work, I think Shields would be able to smother Belcher too.

I'm not saying Belcher is going to get KTFO or anything. Just man hugged until he loses. Again, not exciting and Belcher gets discouraged.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
I don't think Dana is dumb enough to make Leites/Maia 3 happen.

Hendo at no point dominated Silva and Lutter never came close to finishing Andy.
What on earth are you talking about you silly man.

Hendo took Silva down in the first round and controlled him. He dominated him on the ground.

A completely drained Lutter, full mounted silva and was close to ending the fight through ground and pound.

Why do you feel the need to argue for arguments sake?

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
What on earth are you talking about you silly man.

Hendo took Silva down in the first round and controlled him. He dominated him on the ground.

A completely drained Lutter, full mounted silva and was close to ending the fight through ground and pound.

Why do you feel the need to argue for arguments sake?
Holding someone down and not doing damage or advancing isn't domination see the second round of that fight for what domination is on the feet and on the ground. Lutter wasn't ever close to ending that fight Silva was never rocked and never in a tight submission. People get mount all the time and the fight doesn't end see Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson for example.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Holding someone down and not doing damage or advancing isn't domination see the second round of that fight for what domination is on the feet and on the ground. Lutter wasn't ever close to ending that fight Silva was never rocked and never in a tight submission. People get mount all the time and the fight doesn't end see Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson for example.
Holding down and not doing any damage for 3 rounds won rashad evans and josh koscheck their fights. Many considered them to be dominant performances. It was a dominant round for Dan Henderson.

Silva was in a lot of trouble against Lutter. He was in a terrible position and Lutter was reigning down bombs. It could of very well ended.

My point is that if those two fighters can put Andy in danger, who knows what Shields could do. Hence why i think it would be a very interesting match up.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I was kind of expecting him to fight at WW as well. I would like to see him fight someong like Nate Marquardt though! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ha! Dana will show how bad SF is!

Court McGee vs Jake Shields!!! Court takes this :thumb02:

ok seriously:
WW vs MW - GSP would maul him... No chance there.. He has the chance of controling fight on the ground. But I think that Jake is nowhere that explosive to take Silva down, he has too good footwork.. If he touch him, he could take him down but thats big IF!

I dont see him win either fight, but slightly better chance agains Silva.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.