Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets face it Sheilds wasnt exactly sold well for the Hendo fight and was not treated like the champ, now his contracts up i have no doubt the UFC will get him, i believe he is dropping to WW.
Will Sheilds be a force at WW, is he a good signing for the UFC?
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
against a Dan Henderson with a busted up back.... sure he was alright. But what's he going to do to Alves, Fitch, Koscheck or GSP? He's definitely not finishing any of them, stay in strikeforce and be the champ, or get manhandled in the UFC. I'd stay if I were him.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I definitely want the UFC to sign Jake Shields. Shields was essentially fighting up a weight class tonight and showed how good his wrestling and jiu-jitsu skills are. He would be a gatekeeper for the UFC's welterweight division at the worst and a potential UFC champion at best. I would definitely want to see him fight GSP, especially since that would be a more interesting matchup than anything else the current UFC WW division has to offer...

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Im sure he will beat a few of the top WW but Stylistically he wont be able to compete with a few others.

I think Shields might be able to beat

Dan Hardy
Paul Daley
Anthony Johnson
Carlos Condit
Mike Swick :(
Thiago Alves (Maybe)
Hughes
Amir

Shields probably couldnt beat.

GSP
KOS
FITCH
Paulo Thiago
(WW) Bj Penn

So i mean i think he would be maybe #5 WW in the UFC but not higher then that. He is an interesting add on because i think there are fun fights for him in the UFC but do i expect him to become a Legit Contender... pretty much no.

·
Registered
239 Posts
against a Dan Henderson with a busted up back.... sure he was alright. But what's he going to do to Alves, Fitch, Koscheck or GSP? He's definitely not finishing any of them, stay in strikeforce and be the champ, or get manhandled in the UFC. I'd stay if I were him.
This.

Don't go overhyping Shields because he beat a ring rusty Henderson with a busted back. I don't see him doing well against any of the top WWs in the UFC. He could do good in the MW division, until he met Maia, Sonnen or Silva.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Okay well done all with the Hendo excuses.

Now, I love Shields, but realistically I don't believe he'd be able to capture the 170lb title as long as GSP is around. However, I can see him defeating all other WWs (except BJ) as his JJ is way better than the likes of KOS, Fitch, even Paulo Thiago (slightly). And, if he can take down Hendo repeatedly in a 5 round fight, then there's no doubt he can take down Kos or Fitch in a 3 round. Although I don't think he'll finish those guys, he'd still take the W.

That's just how I see it.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
This.

Don't go overhyping Shields because he beat a ring rusty Henderson with a busted back. I don't see him doing well against any of the top WWs in the UFC. He could do good in the MW division, until he met Maia, Sonnen or Silva.
I think he'd do great in the MW division actually, bar none. WW is full of better wrestlers than him, but MW he is a rare commmodity - A two time all american with a SOLID BJJ black belt.

I don't see why you're writing him off against Maia and Sonnen... stylistically, Sonnen has shown himself very vulnerable to subs and Shields is great with subs.

In addition, he has shown excellent sub defence, so it is not unforeseeable that he count grind out Maia if he got taken down ... but in all likelyhood he would just stand with him and avoid the takedowns easily and outpoint Maia. Shields' standup isn't great but it's better than Maia.

I would even give him a chance against Anderson with his wrestling, but I think he might be too small to take Andy down at will. It's an intriguing matchup though ... and I'm not just saying that because of his win over Hendo, I just think there is a shortage of good wrestling in the MW div.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Shields probably couldnt beat.

GSP
KOS
FITCH
Paulo Thiago
(WW) Bj Penn.

Kos? Shields has way better submissions that Josh period.. HIs wrestling is better as well... Josh has good wrestling but Jakes is on another level..

Fitch... Jake beat him in the BJJ open and I can see him outmuscling Fitch... especially after seeing Fitch get his guard destroyed by GSP... Fitch does look great against guys with poor wrestling... I'll give him that...

Paulo Thiago? Who? lol

WW BJ.... I'd love to see it...

WW GSP... I'd love to see that too.

Jake Shields IMO would humiliate half of the UFCs WW division... and war with the other half IMO

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I think he'd do great in the MW division actually, bar none. WW is full of better wrestlers than him, but MW he is a rare commmodity - A two time all american with a SOLID BJJ black belt.

I don't see why you're writing him off against Maia and Sonnen... stylistically, Sonnen has shown himself very vulnerable to subs and Shields is great with subs.

In addition, he has shown excellent sub defence, so it is not unforeseeable that he count grind out Maia if he got taken down ... but in all likelyhood he would just stand with him and avoid the takedowns easily and outpoint Maia. Shields' standup isn't great but it's better than Maia.

I would even give him a chance against Anderson with his wrestling, but I think he might be too small to take Andy down at will. It's an intriguing matchup though ... and I'm not just saying that because of his win over Hendo, I just think there is a shortage of good wrestling in the MW div.
Andy would murder him or it would be Maia/Leites all over again. I think overall you are right though that MW is more vulnerable underneath to someone like him. Though who knows how he does against any guy with striking power who isn't old, with a bad back, and no cardio or just stupid as **** like Lawler. Guys like Cote, Wandy, and Akiyama could certainly KO him and wouldn't be easy to submit. I'm not overly impressed with the speed of Shields shot either.

At WW there are a bunch of definitively bad matchups for him. I think he could possibly beat Kos though I see it as unlikely. A matchup with Fitch would be unwatchable so I don't even care but I'd pick Fitch. GSP would just beat the **** out of him standing and stuff his takedowns.

Let him go to WW with all the other spooners though.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I would love to see him in the UFC.
I think he would be a TOP 5 WW.
I don't think he could beat GSP but would make up for an interesting fight though.
Other than that i could see him doing a good job against every other WW. He has a very good ground game and in the WW diision having a good ground game takes you far. :)

I think, he would be a contender in the UFC.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
He'd be top 5 in the WW and MW divisions in the UFC...

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Kos? Shields has way better submissions that Josh period.. HIs wrestling is better as well... Josh has good wrestling but Jakes is on another level..

Fitch... Jake beat him in the BJJ open and I can see him outmuscling Fitch... especially after seeing Fitch get his guard destroyed by GSP... Fitch does look great against guys with poor wrestling... I'll give him that...

Paulo Thiago? Who? lol

WW BJ.... I'd love to see it...

WW GSP... I'd love to see that too.

Jake Shields IMO would humiliate half of the UFCs WW division... and war with the other half IMO
Josh When did he get subbed last?? I really dont see that being a factor in this fight especially since Jake will be spending it on his back. Josh will outstrike him fairly easy... Jake Shields has some of the worst striking at WW. Wrestling wise Koscheck dominates him and has a much better Wrestling Resume to support that. I also would call Kos the better athlete. I dont see what Jake could do to Koscheck that he hasnt seen before... he isnt knocking him out, he isnt outwrestling him and he isnt subbing him.

Fitch Got his guard destroyed against the best WW in the world and arguably the best wrestling in MMA. Jake Shields aint going to be doing that...

Paulo Thiago You must not follow MMA that much??

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Josh When did he get subbed last?? I really dont see that being a factor in this fight especially since Jake will be spending it on his back. Josh will outstrike him fairly easy... Jake Shields has some of the worst striking at WW. Wrestling wise Koscheck dominates him and has a much better Wrestling Resume to support that.
Nobody dominates Jake wrestling. lol I find it amusing that these comments are still being made.....

I also would call Kos the better athlete. I dont see what Jake could do to Koscheck that he hasnt seen before... he isnt knocking him out, he isnt outwrestling him and he isnt subbing him.
What would you base this on besides your speculation? Are we talking credentials or opponents?

SideWays222;1164810[B said:
Fitch[/B] Got his guard destroyed against the best WW in the world and arguably the best wrestling in MMA. Jake Shields aint going to be doing that...
Shields has better BJJ than Fitch... that's off the top... he defeated John Fitch in a BJJ tournament a few years ago...

And his wrestling is absolutly outstanding.... I've seen some big guys like Rampage and heavy BJJ practitioners like Rousimar Palhares unable to do to Dan Henderson what the natural WW Jake Shields did with ease....

Paulo Thiago You must not follow MMA that much??
what's MMA?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry, but from the fight I saw last night, I really wasn't impressed by Sheilds much. he was able to get Dan down, and surprisingly get full mount, but once he did he just gave him little love taps for three rounds. He did almost get an armbar, so points to him. It just seemed to me that was he got mount, he just sat there with little love taps and didn't do any damage.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Sorry, but from the fight I saw last night, I really wasn't impressed by Sheilds much. he was able to get Dan down, and surprisingly get full mount, but once he did he just gave him little love taps for three rounds. He did almost get an armbar, so points to him. It just seemed to me that was he got mount, he just sat there with little love taps and didn't do any damage.
He mounted Dan 5 different times at least......
Took Dan down countless times..... at will..
Outlanded Dan on compustrike...
Took Dans big right a couple of times without getting knocked out...
Controlled Dan... and dominated him for four rounds.....

Matter of fact..... who has ever dominated Dan Henderson in that fasion?

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Nobody dominates Jake wrestling. lol I find it amusing that these comments are still being made.....

What would you base this on besides your speculation? Are we talking credentials or opponents?

Shields has better BJJ than Fitch... that's off the top... he defeated John Fitch in a BJJ tournament a few years ago...

And his wrestling is absolutly outstanding.... I've seen some big guys like Rampage and heavy BJJ practitioners like Rousimar Palhares unable to do to Dan Henderson what the natural WW Jake Shields did with ease....

what's MMA?

I took you semi serious in your first post. Now i cant even do that... lol

You didnt disproof anything i said.... but just to comment on something anyway.

Dan Henderson looked horrible tonight... His wrestling didnt look good either. I "Personally"(dont wanna argue this with people) never found Henderson wrestling that impressive in MMA. Im sure in the gym when their practicing wrestling its great but in MMA it always seemed sloppy to me. I also dont think iv seen Dan ever have a clean shot. For the most part his take downs are based on his brute strength. Anyway i think im getting kinda off topic here... My point is that Jake Shields "Out Grappling" Dan wasnt all that impressive to me. jake Shields is an amazing Grappler BUT that isnt the same as wrestling is.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I took you semi serious in your first post. Now i cant even do that... lol
lulz

You didnt disproof anything i said....
You didn't prove anything you said...

but just to comment on something anyway.
Not new for ya..

Dan Henderson looked horrible tonight...
Or did Jake overpower him and make him look bad?

His wrestling didnt look good either.
Nobodys does against Jake Shields..

I "Personally"(dont wanna argue this with people) never found Henderson wrestling that impressive in MMA.
lol.... why? Because you are horribly wrong... Dan's Greco Roman has proven excellent in very many fights...

Im sure in the gym when their practicing wrestling its great but in MMA it always seemed sloppy to me.
Dans wrestling is far from sloppy... never has been...

I also dont think iv seen Dan ever have a clean shot. For the most part his take downs are based on his brute strength.
Couldn't tell last night.... he seemed kind of scared to take Jake down.

Anyway i think im getting kinda off topic here...
It's okay....... regroup yourself and post again when you've thought about it...

My point is that Jake Shields "Out Grappling" Dan wasnt all that impressive to me. jake Shields is an amazing Grappler BUT that isnt the same as wrestling is.
Jakes scrambles, top control, reversals, Take downs, pace, ability to neutralize and impose his will, brute stregnth, transitions and ground dominance are not wrestling?

you're "lol" at the begining of your post was clever.... ICWUTUDID!! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I don't think Jake is getting the respect he deserves, a win over Hendo is damn impressive, not to mention dominating then subbing Daley who we're led to believe will be no1 contender for GSP's belt if he beats Kos. I think Jake will easilly be top 5 WW in ufc. He'll absolutely destroy guys like kampmann or Condit.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I don't think Jake is getting the respect he deserves, a win over Hendo is damn impressive, not to mention dominating then subbing Daley who we're led to believe will be no1 contender for GSP's belt if he beats Kos. I think Jake will easilly be top 5 WW in ufc. He'll absolutely destroy guys like kampmann or Condit.

He's already defeated Condit.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.