Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

James Toney’s boxing promoter, Dan Goossen, doesn’t seem to have any more faith in James Toney beating Randy Couture at UFC 118 than Mike Tyson, Bernard Hopkins or David Haye. In this interview with FightHubTV, Goossen says he respects Toney for having the guts to fight Randy Couture in Randy’s sport, but concedes that it’s a longshot if Toney isn’t able to put Couture away early. According to Goossen, in order it to truly be “MMA vs. Boxing,” Couture also needs to step in a boxing ring with James Toney later this fall, and he’s willing to put his money where his mouth is.

There’s nothing that this will prove if James loses, because it’s a whole different sport. On the other hand, I’ll go on the record right now that win, lose or draw with Randy Couture, I’ll match what he’s making for this fight. Lets see if he has the same warrior makeup that James Toney has to be able to cross over to the boxing business, and in the next immediate fight, fight James Toney in a boxing ring… I got a lot of respect for Randy, by no means is it disrespect, but what James Toney is doing is what I believe very few fighters in either sport would be willing to do. We’ll find out after August 28, win or lose, Randy Couture, I’ll match what you’re getting for this fight, you come over and you do what James Toney has done. That is take up the challenge in your sport. Now I say you come out and take up the challenge in James’ sport. Then, once that happens, we can all sit back there and say both sports have some real warriors, but right now I only see James Toney doing it.

In related news, ESPN UK says James Toney will enter the Octagon on Aug. 28 weighing 290 lbs. which has to be a typo, right?
What gets me about this is that it is not about Randy being able to out box Toney, it is about what is the most effective fighting style(s), which is what turned me onto MMA in the first place. Randy fighting James in a boxing match is pointless. Makes about as much sense as him entering an arm wrestling competition.

No MMA fighter prattles on about being able to beat boxers at boxing. I can't even really think of MMA fighters disrespecting boxing at all. It seems to me that it is an insecurity particular to boxers.

Toney beating Randy in a boxing match does not prove anything other than Toney is better at a particular discipline of fighting.

Looks like his promoter is just looking for something else for Toney to do after his flirtation with MMA fails, as no top contender is interested in him anymore.

·
Registered
240 Posts

What gets me about this is that it is not about Randy being able to out box Toney, it is about what is the most effective fighting style(s), which is what turned me onto MMA in the first place. Randy fighting James in a boxing match is pointless. Makes about as much sense as him entering an arm wrestling competition.

No MMA fighter prattles on about being able to beat boxers at boxing. I can't even really think of MMA fighters disrespecting boxing at all. It seems to me that it is an insecurity particular to boxers.

Toney beating Randy in a boxing match does not prove anything other than Toney is better at a particular discipline of fighting.

Looks like his promoter is just looking for something else for Toney to do after his flirtation with MMA fails, as no top contender is interested in him anymore.
Ya..basically. James Toney did this to himself. Not one MMA fighter besides Anderson Silva thinks they can compete at the elite level of boxing. There may be some fighters that would be crazy enough to try; but Randy would never do that...nor should he. James came to MMA's house and they answered. He has to live with the consequences.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Does have a point...but it looks like Toney is looking for a pay cheque for some reason.

Wonder if Randy can put him away or if it's going to be a UD.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ya this dude is ritardedrandys even said it would be suicide to stand and trade with toney, btw if this dude is supposedly toneys promoter whats james doing getting into a mma fight & not in a boxing match?? if this dude was doing his job mush mouth wouldnt have to get his ass beat in the octagon for a paycheck

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Does have a point...but it looks like Toney is looking for a pay cheque for some reason.

Wonder if Randy can put him away or if it's going to be a UD.
Randy is a ridiculous favorite to win this fight. I can't help but put some money on Toney here. I can't help but put away the he' 47 years old thing, is he a grandfather yet?

I've a lot more riding on Florian though at -135.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
sure, and after Toney beats Randy in boxing match they can havea rubber match in wrestling match? Yeah suck on that Toney!

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Hate to play devil addvoate but Toney is trying to prove a point. Yes there saying MMA is better than boxing. Randy should easily school toney at ufc 118. (I'm cheering for toney tho)U reverse roles tho and switch sports TOney will crush Randy in boxing. SO it goes back to the endless debate which sport has the better fighters. In each respected sport the home competitor will always win.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Get lost. You guys are the ones calling out mma fighters now deal with it. Boxers are jealous of the recognition mma is getting with no slowing down.
I'm a mma fan boxing has been dying for many years now. But i can tell u boxers are not jealous at all. Mayweather makes 20 mill a fight pretty such that is more than randy has made during his entire fighting career. Boxers are just trying to get that free publicity that comes with mma. MMA is so big right now it has make boxing irrelevant unless ur mayweather and pacman.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hate to play devil addvoate but Toney is trying to prove a point. Yes there saying MMA is better than boxing. Randy should easily school toney at ufc 118. (I'm cheering for toney tho)U reverse roles tho and switch sports TOney will crush Randy in boxing. SO it goes back to the endless debate which sport has the better fighters. In each respected sport the home competitor will always win.
Boxing isnt fighting. MMA is fighting. Winning a boxing match would prove that you are a better BOXER, not a better fighter. Winning an MMA match will prove who the better FIGHTER is, which is why they are fighting and not boxing.
Get it?

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
The whole idea of this is stupid... how do i explain this lol

What James Toney has trained 100% of the time, he can use that in MMA. On the other hand what Randy Couture has practiced 80% of the time, he CANT use that in boxing. It really isnt fair to expect Randy Couture, someone who possibly on trains boxing 20% of the time to be able to compete with someone that has dedicated 100% of time to it.

If we are going to start doing this "sport vs sport" bullcrap then lets atleast make it a MMA fight with standup only. That would make it alot more fair to Toney because he wont have to worry about the ground game and it would be alot more fair to Couture because he can use more then just 20% of his fighting experience/training. I still think this isnt very fair to couture but he atleast has a shot in winning if we add clinch work + kicks.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Randy won't take this, and even if he were willing DW would use his contract with Randy to prevent it.

As said earlier, this is damage control, that is all. Why would Randy get in the ring and box? He already said he would lose if he did because he isn't a boxer.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The better fighter is the one with the better toolset to beat their opponent. James thinks he is the best fighter on the planet, when he is not even near the best boxer. In a street fight I'd much rather have what Randy brings to the table.

Boxing is a one dimensional sport when compared to MMA. Anyone who wants to say that boxers are the better fighters is deranged. Boxers are better boxers, that's it. The debate of who are the better fighters is moot. Toney has a chance to prove boxing is better than MMA when he steps into the octagon, nothing is stopping him. The moment he does anything other than box will prove that boxing is inferior as it will have lost its effectiveness (James already knows this). End of debate.

Randy has nothing to prove to anyone, especially this clown of a promoter. He was challenged by Toney and he stepped up to the plate. There is nothing left for him to prove. Accepting a boxing match will prove nothing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Boxing isnt fighting. MMA is fighting. Winning a boxing match would prove that you are a better BOXER, not a better fighter. Winning an MMA match will prove who the better FIGHTER is, which is why they are fighting and not boxing.
Get it?
I'm sorry but boxing is a form of fighting; a very lethal one. Most Ultimate Fighter "fights" were with guys taking swings at each other. The term "fighting" is really inappropriate though. MMA is exactly that; MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. It is a combination of martial arts used that prove to be the "best" at winning matches in a controlled environment with controlled rules.

A street fight is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than MMA. The best mixed martial artist is not guaranteed victory on the streets. I am sorry but I would never really attempt a lot of the moves in the octagon on the street because I would probably knock myself out when I hit the concrete with my opponent. In a street fight, you can do ANYTHING. Elbows everywhere, headbutts, kicks to the knee, hand strikes to the adams apple, and the list goes on.

UFC is a combat sport just like Muay Thai, Karate, boxing, Judo, et al. What is exciting is seeing the transitions and the hybrib aspects of many disciplines used by one fighter to gain victory. That is why it is the fastest growing combat sport. It has nothing to do with one being a better sport. A pure boxer at the highest level is still going to be the best sport to watch if you want to see the highest level of hand striking. Muay Thai is going to still be the best combat sport if you want to see the highest level of kickboxing (IMO on this one). Watch high level Judo and see things besides hearing Joe Blogan "WOW that is awesome Judo Throw." People will always want to see the best of any single discipline. If MMA "killed" every single sport than you would see a decline in future MMA fighters because there would be no sparring partners or trainers in each sport to help represent the mixed martial artist.

What is "best to watch" is subjective. North Americans (Mainly US and Canada) favour MMA. South America, Europe and British Isles still have a strong boxing fan base. Just love each sport and realize they are ALL forms of fighting. However, outside of MMA, they are just more specific. But don't think an MMA fighter is a street fighter because that really just disrespects the "sport" of MMA. Street fights are brutal and lethal. As boxing is a more lethal form of fighting than MMA...and that is NOT a good thing.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
sorry but i disagree with this. I think the insecure ones are MMA fans and not so much the actual MMA fighters themselves just the fans. all you hear about on this forum and everywhere else is how pointless and outdated it is for anyone to box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts