Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He supposedly choked out Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Muhammad ‘King Mo’ Lawal during a training session (with a guillotine or an RNC depending which version he tells you), but heavyweight boxer James Toney still says “all that jiu jitsu stuff is for girls”.

The former heavyweight boxing champion tells Fighters Only that he has no fear of being out-wrestled by Couture, nor is he fazed at the prospect of fighting a man who has held both the heavyweight and the light-heavyweight titles in the UFC.

“I don’t care if Randy Couture is a legend in this sport, I have had a career of knocking guys out in their back yards. Boxing is the superior science, we are the best. I am going to show that wrestling and hugging people is for women. That’s not going to happen against me. I have a lot of KO’s in my career and you will see another one on August 28th,” Toney told us.

Asked if the rumours about him submitting King Mo in one of their training sessions is true, Toney said it is. (Although the original version of the rumour had Toney submitting Lawal - a former Olympic wrestler - with a guillotine.)

“Yeah its true, I worked with King Mo. He was happy to come down and spar with me. He showed me some skills and I submitted him with a rear-naked choke. But you know that jiu jitsu, all the hugging… its for girls,” says Toney, who seemingly finds “hugging” another man to be the most alarming prospect of a fight with Couture.

Many fans are sceptical when it comes to Toney’s claims to have submitted Lawal but he doesn’t care, because he is planning a KO not a submission. And if he does win? Toney has repeatedly called for a fight with Brock Lesnar and he stands by his claims he can beat the former WWE star.

“Come on man. Lesnar is a former wrestler-actor [and he’s] now in the UFC. He runs with his head down. Yeah I want to fight him down the line. I’ll fight the lot of them - in one night if I have to!”

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4917

-----------------------------------------------------------

haha its gonna be funny to see him pissed when he gets beat by a *** then:thumb02:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not only do HW boxers hug for the majority of the 12 rounds they are supposed to fight like osmium rightfully points out. They are gasping for air and seem dead tired right from the start.

I can't wait for Randy to put this guy on his ass and kick the living snot out of him. My guess is not a TKO not a submission but that this joker actually quits after the first round is over. He'll have no cardio left to even stand on his two chicken legs after that first round.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Can't wait for Toney panic when Randy chockes him out.
Or how Toney will panic when Randy grabs an arm and goes for a kimura or an armbar.
I really hope Toney is practicing his Tapouts. :sarcastic12:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wonder what excuse he's gonna have when he gets mauled.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Part of me wants to think Toney is going to bring something special, that we haven't yet seen in MMA, simply because of his history in pro boxing. But, the logical part of my mind sees him ground out for a couple of rounds then either subbed or GnPed out.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Toney is the man and im behind him 100%.(except for the bjj is for girls crap) I really hope he pulls this off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i want to see Toney put a beating on Captain Crunch or Captain America, however you guys like to call him, because it is time for him to retire. His last fights were a real snooze to watch and i dont see why he is still fighting in the UFC. Putting fighters against the cage and leaning on them makes for a boring fight that most of us don't want to watch.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Snore. I'd have expected Toney to at least come up with something that hasnt been washed rinsed and repeated time and time again. We'll see if he screams like a girl when Randy is torquing on his arm :thumbsup:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Starting to like Toney :thumbsup:

Anyone who speaks their mind like that is always entertaining... Chael Sonnen has said things like Toney, and while he's not my favorite, I love it.

I like respectful fighting, but there's nothing like a little smack talk to make things exciting.

And what he said about Brock ....kinnnnda true.

Oh baby, this is like UFC 1 all over again!

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Nice. It'll be a damn shame if Couture loses, the crap that'll come from James' mouth would be unfathomable.
To be honest It would be awesome if couture gets his butt KO'd. we need some sparks to fly in the UFC and Toney is the man :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.