Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxing legend James "Lights Out" Toney and Strikeforce light heavyweight champion King Mo Lawal both confirmed to FightHype.com that they will be working together as Toney prepares for his MMA debut against UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture. The two actually already got some work in this weekend and will continue to train together as the fight gets closer. Both men are looking at the opportunity as a win-win situation for both parties. Lawal, being a decorated wrestler, can assist Toney in that department while at the same time improve his own striking skills by learning from one of the most accomplished boxers in the history of the sport.
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content7746.html

Building up the hype

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
WOW! I'm truely impressed. Go JT!(not sarcasm). If he's serious he could prolong the fight for minutes.

Mo is the real winner here. He's young enough and talented enough to gain a lot more from this than Toney.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
This might be old to you guys but it just knocked me out of my chair. ...how can you not love this guy!

“Randy [Couture], look at my eyes. You know there is no fear here. You come at me with that wrestling, dirty boxing, I promise you, I’m going to choke your ass out. All you gotta do is Google me.” -- James Toney to Uppercut Magazine

·
Registered
128 Posts
"already got some work in this weekend" really? He should've been busting his ass months ago trying to learn whatever he can (which won't be enough, anything less than a year is nowhere near enough) before the fight.

In all seriousness though, he's got a gold belt. So I guess wrestling becomes irrelevant anyway. James Toney by way of submission we've never seen before, simply because we've never seen gold belt level groundwork before. Prepare to be amazed, fellas.

·
Registered
643 Posts
There is the real possibility that Toney could connect and flash KO Randy, but it seems to be a pretty easy pick, Randy tucks his chin, shoots for a double-leg, and gnp's his way to victory. Randy won't KO Toney, but he'll hit Toney with enough uncontested shots that the ref will step in, and Toney will get up and bitch about not being hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Toney might knock randy out if he can survive long enough to do so. This is a boxer...them guys know out to punch. Randy is also 47 years old....neary 50 ffs....the age is gonna bite him in the ass soon...it has too.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I can already see Toney just only learning how to defend the take down and defend certain moves, and getting all excited thinking that its going to make the slightest difference....

This news only means that Toney will somewhat know what Randy is doing to him while he cant do shit about it....

Hopefully he keeps it up and fights some of his level of competition after he gets kicked from UFC....

I would like to see some future MMA KO's from Toney before he retires in half a year lol

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
now when toney gets subbed he wont be able to say it was against the rules. thisw wont help him this late in the game, he should have been training his ground game against a top guy months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Quick TD - sub or GnP till TKO. Quick predictable ending.

The only possible interesting thing about this fight is if these two guys are clinched against the cage and he can do some dirty boxing and Couture tries to counter with strikes.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
If James Toney starts training with Rob Emerson then he has a chance.

(i will be very disappointed if Toney some how does manage to KO Randy)

·
Dr. Krav...nose, throat, and groin.
530 Posts
To me im not a fan of MO i think hes a horrible fighter and training with him don't mean anything..
But even someone who is not a fan must realize he has some pretty damned solid wrestling. Even if he's not a good fighter, adding wrestling to a (non existant) ground game is a good thing, no?
So...I think your position is terribly weak.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts