Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fight picks
Jason MacDonald | November 12, 2009

Last Friday my trainer Josh Russell put on a good performance, even in a loss. I was proud and pleased with him; he was fighting a guy with a lot more fights, and everybody was writing him off saying Kajan Johnson was just too experienced.

Well, Josh went out and won the first round on all three judges' scorecards. Unfortunately, once it got late in the second round, he was getting a little worn out, while Kajan was still able to fight at a fast pace.

Then Josh took a knee on his forehead that cut him pretty badly. It was right above his right eyebrow, about two and a half inches long and an inch wide, it was that big. When Josh came over after the round, I took a look at the cut and I could see right through to the bone. At that point, before the doctor even came over, I knew it was going to be stopped. Sure enough, the doctor came over, took a look at the cut, and that was it.

A disappointing ending, but he did really well I thought and with more conditioning and training I think he’ll continue to do very well in mixed martial arts.

The main event of the Heat XC show went pretty much how I expected. Roger Hollett was too much for Aron Lofton in every area. He came out, dominated the first few minutes and won pretty quickly with an armbar, which was no surprise to me.

Then on Saturday there was Strikeforce card. In my last blog I said I was not very excited about the Fabricio Werdum-Antonio Silva fight, but that ended up being one of the most entertaining on the night. I thought Werdum won the decision, I don’t think it was very controversial at all. He showed he’s not just a one-trick pony; he’s got some standup game. I’d definitely be interested in seeing him fight Fedor, though I’d still prefer Alistair Overeem as Fedor’s next opponent. We’ll see.

Next, Gegard Mousasi went out and impressed me. I think Mousasi is the best 205er in the world and I really think he could beat Lyoto Machida. Sokoudjou put up a good fight, but for a 24-year-old to be so calm and collected is something else.

The Jake Shields-Jason (Mayhem) Miller fight was extremely disappointing. I’d say Shields is the Travis Lutter of Strikeforce. He’s really good at what he does, but he never tries to finish the fight or do any damage. He just smothered Miller for 25 minutes. Mayhem was being aggressive tried to go after him, but it’s frustrating when one guy isn’t really fighting. He’s doing just enough to win a decision. Shields definitely does his job, he fights a smart fight, but does anybody want to watch that for another 25 minutes?

Finally, there was the main event, Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers. The fight actually went a little longer than I thought it would, but I think that’s because Rogers is so much bigger and stronger. He was able to use his size by pushing Fedor against the fence and using his weight. Fedor also got that pretty nasty cut on his nose, but you have to expect that from a guy his size and the power puncher that is, that if he connects, he’s going to cut you.

But Fedor showed how he never panics and just picks you apart. He never gets too excited, and he may take a bit of punishment, but he does what he has to in order to survive and get back on top. Fedor is definitely one of the greatest in sport but it’s unfortunate we don’t get to see him fight the best.

Overall, I enjoyed the CBS broadcast, I thought it was well done and I enjoyed the fights. I would really love to see them put Mousasi and Dan Henderson together in December.

And on that note, I’ll switch gears and do my UFC 105 main card picks.

Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera

I think Randy will use his wrestling and dirty boxing to smother Vera’s Muay Thai. He’ll use Greco-Roman trips and stuff to nullify Vera’s kicks and his reach and he’ll take him down from the clinch. The best thing to do against the attacks of a guy like Vera is close the distance and that’s perfect for Couture’s style of fighting. I think Randy will grind out a decision.

Denis Kang vs. Michael Bisping

I’m going with Kang (of course, he’s my buddy), but I do believe he will beat Bisping. I think being back with American Top Team is mentally a good thing for him. He’ll definitely be confident, after being back with those guys at ATT. He enjoyed his best success in his career while he was there. I see Denis submitting Bisping.

Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick

I think Hardy is going to TKO Swick. I believe Swick hasn’t fought the toughest guys; he’s had some fairly easy fights and Hardy is one of the best at 170.

Matt Brown vs. James Wilks

I’m going with Brown. I like him, he’s been doing really well. Ever since the controversial loss to Dong Hyun Kim in Sept. 2008, he’s come back with a vengeance. He’s getting better in every fight. Brown by TKO.

Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley

Riley is such a seasoned veteran and so tough. But I really believe his best years are behind him. I think Pearson is a good, tough, little fighter. He’ll be well prepared training with Bisping and motivated coming out of The Ultimate Fighter. And with the fight in his home town. I’ll pick Pearson.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2009/11/12/macdonald_ufc105_picks/

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Im very surprised to see hiim pick Hardy over Swick, to be honest there must be something about Hardy Im not seeing cause I don't get what anybody else see's in him.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Least there are two of us, I think he is a one trick pony and that trick isn't really impressive either, kinda like a magician in vegas with only one simple card trick. May be a decent card trick but the guy up the street just made an elephant disapeer.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Least there are two of us, I think he is a one trick pony and that trick isn't really impressive either, kinda like a magician in vegas with only one simple card trick. May be a decent card trick but the guy up the street just made an elephant disapeer.

Haha, well put. I don't think Swick or Hardy have anything to offer the top tier guys (meaning Alves, Fitch, and the holy one) and the UFC is trying pretty hard to make this fight relevant. I'll probably forget who won it a month from now.

I'm sort of confused how Randy's trips are going to nullify Vera's kicks. I think Randy's going to take a ton of abuse in the first, maybe second round.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i think he means he the trips will take it to the ground where the kicks will be nullified but im not sure, otherwise i dont understand it either. I think Randy will just find a way to make this fight very difficult for Brandon, pin him to that cage and make him work for every inch and every strike like he seems to do with everybody. He will break Brandon who i think is somewhat weak mentally when put in bad positions.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Jason is a smart fighter and puts some thought into his picks so I'm stunned to see him pick Hardy. I should go re watch his fights because it definitely makes me think I'm missing something. I don't think I've heard anyone else pick Hardy over Swick.

I think Vera will beat Couture. Couture could easily win it the way Jason described but he looked easy to hit and easy to hurt against Nog and Vera is a good striker. I think he'll catch Randy sooner or later and TKO him. Vera will also be insanely motivated (or should be). This is his big chance to really get back in the limelight.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Hardy is pretty arrogant, but there's no doubt he's a talented fighter. He has good footwork, movement, power, and combinations. Doesn't look it, but he appears to be fairly intelligent fighter.

With that being said I still would like to see Swick take him out!

Side note Kang by submission was an interesting one.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Jason is a smart fighter and puts some thought into his picks so I'm stunned to see him pick Hardy. I should go re watch his fights because it definitely makes me think I'm missing something. I don't think I've heard anyone else pick Hardy over Swick.

I think Vera will beat Couture. Couture could easily win it the way Jason described but he looked easy to hit and easy to hurt against Nog and Vera is a good striker. I think he'll catch Randy sooner or later and TKO him. Vera will also be insanely motivated (or should be). This is his big chance to really get back in the limelight.
Jason is a smart fighter, but he sucks balls at picking. His track record on predictions is abysmal, if you just picked the opposite of all predictions he made, you'd be doing well. He is a nice guy, but he lets his like or dislike of a fighter influence his picks way too much, instead of objectively assessing their skill set.

A couple of these are good examples, I think he just really likes Couture, who I think is going to get creamed, and he dislikes Swick, so he picks Hardy. Hardy could beat swick, Swick is a little overrated, but I think Swick has the edge here. (Of course we all know it doesn't matter, GSP rapes the winner either way)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts