Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
To be fair that is 2 1/2 years ago. That is a ton of time to improve. He trains at Black House who has a collection of great fighters fight under their banner. When you train with the likes of Silva, Machida, Nog brothers, and even more. It has to be nearly impossible to stay mediocre.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0pdc_h0gg

I'm sure he's improved while training with Nog(s) but he looks pretty weak here.
He looks pretty good until he got caught in the arm bar, and I would say he overlooked this guy's ground game. He reversed from his guard into his very easily and got a bit cocky, kind of like Brock did with Mir. JDS is a force, very complete fighter, but a bit on the smaller side to do any real damage in the hw division. Who knows though, he could be the new Fedor :)

·
"I
6,923 Posts
To be fair that is 2 1/2 years ago. That is a ton of time to improve. He trains at Black House who has a collection of great fighters fight under their banner. When you train with the likes of Silva, Machida, Nog brothers, and even more. It has to be nearly impossible to stay mediocre.
This. 2 1/2 years is a LONG time to train your ground game, especially when you're training with the likes of the Nogs, Silva, Machida and even Maia for a short stint.

JDS is a force, very complete fighter, but a bit on the smaller side to do any real damage in the hw division. Who knows though, he could be the new Fedor
With the power he has I'm highly doubting he's too small to do damage. He may get out muscled by a Lesnar or a Carwin but even then his BJJ should allow him to get out of those terrible positions considering it's not exactly their "master art."

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
He looks pretty good until he got caught in the arm bar, and I would say he overlooked this guy's ground game. He reversed from his guard into his very easily and got a bit cocky, kind of like Brock did with Mir. JDS is a force, very complete fighter, but a bit on the smaller side to do any real damage in the hw division. Who knows though, he could be the new Fedor :)
I don't understand this post. You say he is too small to do any real damage in the UFC heavyweight division yet he is 5-0 in the UFC with none of his fights going the distance. Most of his fights in this organization happen to have brutal finishes as well. It's not like he is fighting against mediocre competition either. Beating Werdum, Struve, Cro Cop, Yvel, and Gonzaga and finishing all of them is doing damage in my opinion. He may not hold the title, but he is definitely a legit contender and is clearly on his way to getting a title shot if he keeps this up. You could argue that he deserves a title shot now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
With the power he has I'm highly doubting he's too small to do damage. He may get out muscled by a Lesnar or a Carwin but even then his BJJ should allow him to get out of those terrible positions considering it's not exactly their "master art."
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, that JDS can use his BJJ to escape Lesnar and Carwin's BJJ? Do they even have any BJJ?

Their "master art" is wrestling, a very large part of wrestling is devoted to holding your opponent to the floor. This is their master art. You need excellent BJJ to defend against that if you're not a wrestler, which is what we're questioning here no?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, that JDS can use his BJJ to escape Lesnar and Carwin's BJJ? Do they even have any BJJ?QUOTE]

Carwin had a purple belt in BJJ and has been training with a new BJJ coach for past year and a half in which he devided to start over as a white belt.

Very humble guy, and one of the reasons I LOVE this matchup. Cocky Celebrity vs Humble Working Man

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Saying the way to beat Dos Santos is to take him down and submit him is like saying the way to beat Lesnar to to not get taken down and KO him......everyone knows it, just no one can do it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
JDS will never touch Frank Mir in terms of BJJ ability and Mir wasn't able to deal with Brock on top of him.

I wouldn't mind seeing JDS reign over the HW division but I think his ground game will be exposed sooner or later. He'll get wins courtesy of awesome striking but he'll get losses courtesy of not being big and not being a ground fighter. He'll stay around the top with a win/loss career like Mir imo.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yet no one tries to take him down, even though he's probably the best striker at HW.
Yeah but I guess the point is what does he do against guys like Cain, Carwin and Lesnar that pretty much will go for TD the second they get into trouble on the feet or porbably before?

Not picking sides so don't get on me on this because I really don't know how good his ground game is now after he has workes with Soares(sp?).

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I really don't have a stake in this either, I'm just saying if he ground game is as poor as some people are trying to make it seem, how come no one has tried to take him down. He's such a deadly striker, if he was weak on the ground, I'm sure someone would have taken him down by now.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really don't have a stake in this either, I'm just saying if he ground game is as poor as some people are trying to make it seem, how come no one has tried to take him down. He's such a deadly striker, if he was weak on the ground, I'm sure someone would have taken him down by now.
Gonzaga was 1/1 with take downs. Made it look easy. He didn't have the wrestling to keep him there. I can think of 3 men that do.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
maybe if he fought a wrestler looking to shoot we could really tell what his TDD is about.

im a JDS fan for sure but i think he will end up on his back.

flash KOs arent gonna happen every fight, esp with ppl looking to take him down.

think about it. He KO'd Werdum. Struve stood with him. CC stood with him. Yvel stood with him. GG went for 1 takedown but stood with him for the most part.

we havent truely seen him TDD defense tested. nevermind tested by an elite wrestler.

i would be nervous about this. those that think some belt from nog magically saves you from being mauled by Brock or Cain on his back have another thing coming.

his only hope is he has slick bjj ESCAPES. not subs. he just needs to find a way up ASAP.

will be truely interesting to find out. i think JDS would have a better shot vs brock because he would have a signifigant speed edge. same vs Carwin plus Carwins wrestling isnt all that so i dont even know if he could takedown JDS.

wont even go into cain.

btw, you arent subbing Brock, Shane or Cain from your back. i really dont see that happening. slim to none

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.