Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a few posts about fighters' salaries the last little bit. But, I just finished reading an article on Jeff Monson - this speaks volumes!!! The guy is fighting for the heavyweight title and actually has no money because that's how little these guys pay - a world class fighter. Among things in the article - Monson has missed training because his 1985 Jetta won't start, he then moved into a Gym (no apartment) where he sleeps on a cot, and he was also quoted as saying he had to go without protein supplements because it was too expensive. The guy maybe has to work on sponsors but still, it speaks volumes of the pay these guys get!! Hope he crushes Sylvia

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
wow , then you have guys like Forrest Grifffin .... not even close to a top level fighter , yet hes making VERy nice dough forsure.... stupid

·
Registered
41 Posts
Monson is a self-proclaimed anarchist who drew criticism when footage was shown of him working out with a shirt that said, "Assasinate Bush". I don't think he is much into the money side of the sport, considering the tatto on his back that depicts capatlism as an execution. He is not the greatest of examples when trying to depict the income of the average UFC fighter out there.

·
F*ck You I Rhyme Better
2,458 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I know there have been a few posts about fighters' salaries the last little bit. But, I just finished reading an article on Jeff Monson - this speaks volumes!!! The guy is fighting for the heavyweight title and actually has no money because that's how little these guys pay - a world class fighter. Among things in the article - Monson has missed training because his 1985 Jetta won't start, he then moved into a Gym (no apartment) where he sleeps on a cot, and he was also quoted as saying he had to go without protein supplements because it was too expensive. The guy maybe has to work on sponsors but still, it speaks volumes of the pay these guys get!! Hope he crushes Sylvia

i hope he breaks sylvia's arm like frank mir did

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Organik said:
i hope he breaks sylvia's arm like frank mir did
Man, I'm dying to see how Jeff is going to handle Sylvia's height ... little worried because Monson's standup isn't the greatest .. I guess he'll have to barrell in and take em down then try to use that short body of his to hold Tim down ... sounds like a task and a half

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Smooth said:
Monson is a self-proclaimed anarchist who drew criticism when footage was shown of him working out with a shirt that said, "Assasinate Bush". I don't think he is much into the money side of the sport, considering the tatto on his back that depicts capatlism as an execution. He is not the greatest of examples when trying to depict the income of the average UFC fighter out there.
Damnit I wasnt aware of Monsons political views. Now I dont know who to root for in this fight. I dont want an anarchist as champ nor do I want poopy pants as champ. I guess I'll take Monson though. At least his undies are white and not brown.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Smooth said:

Yeah he is from Olympia, where I live. He is an activist and protests and stuff.
They blocked a striker brigade from driving through town

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
asskicker said:
Damnit I wasnt aware of Monsons political views. Now I dont know who to root for in this fight. I dont want an anarchist as champ nor do I want poopy pants as champ. I guess I'll take Monson though. At least his undies are white and not brown.
man he sure looks like an anarchist though ... scary f*cker

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
man he sure looks like an anarchist though ... scary f*cker

...and take into consideration how short he is. Looks like a damn walking chunk or cement or something

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Hmmm....if Monson wins and Vera beats Mir I wonder if the UFC will make the title match political. Vera the ex-marine patriot vs. the anarchist. I bet that would sell some PPV...unfortunately.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Halebop said:
Hmmm....if Monson wins and Vera beats Mir I wonder if the UFC will make the title match political. Vera the ex-marine patriot vs. the anarchist. I bet that would sell some PPV...unfortunately.
If Monson wins he might not have to sleep at the gym. Hell he might even become a capitalist. He should run a cost benifit analysis to make sure being paid more doesn't compromise his political beliefs.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Who gives a shit if monson hates bush or if he doesnt like capitalism lol. Who brings up political views in a sport that you fight the other guy basically to his last life (going out cold).

Its obvious the guy probably uses fighting to channel his anger or issues. I think monsons a beast, if he takes down silva its probably good game.

·
Banned
186 Posts
asskicker said:
I can't make up my mind either, but that is a funny post, so I'm quoting it !!!!

Ha-ha

·
Registered
273 Posts
Spit206Fire said:
Who brings up political views in a sport that you fight the other guy
Apparantly Monson does. By declaring himself an anarchist and wearing a shirt that said "Assasanate Bush" Monson opens himself up for criticism. I could care less what Monson's political views are. I'm still going to watch UFC 65 and I hope they both fight well. But I'm sure as [email protected]#k not going to buy any Monson swag.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Spit206Fire said:
Who gives a shit if monson hates bush or if he doesnt like capitalism lol. Who brings up political views in a sport that you fight the other guy basically to his last life (going out cold).

Who gives a shit is a good question. I don't know. I didn't think fans would give a shit that Silva is foreign and can't speak English. The majority of the viewing audience doesn't know Monson's political views but people are going to get curious if he becomes the UFC heavy weight champ and I can't imagine his ideas winning the people over. Then again, the crowd might cheer Micheal Jackson if he beat Sylvia.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't question his experience in the industry, but I do question Dana's business expertise. I've been searching to see whether the guy has any sort of education, but I've come up empty handed so far.

Perhaps he needs a young business student to help him better market and grow his sport. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts