Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Joe is high all the time man, he just says what he feels. Did anyone ever really think Machida was going to get crushed anytime soon?

However Joe gave us "**** Choke" so I don't care what else he says, because I laughed until I couldn't breathe when he said that on live television.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I am forever baffled by MMA fans that are Joe Rogan nut hugger's. He's a comedian, nothing more, nothing less. While he is 800% better than Mike Goldberg, it's damning him with faint praise to say it. It pisses me off when he doesn't correct Goldberg who is incorrect in 50% of what he says.
He is fine, he isn't a god and he isn't worth worshiping.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I am forever baffled by MMA fans that are Joe Rogan nut hugger's. He's a comedian, nothing more, nothing less. While he is 800% better than Mike Goldberg, it's damning him with faint praise to say it. It pisses me off when he doesn't correct Goldberg who is incorrect in 50% of what he says.
He's just a fan and he never claimed to be anything more. I'd like to hear all these instances where Goldberg is wrong though. They all make mistakes, John Madden made mistakes calling football games, but to say the guy is wrong half the time is a little crazy. They are the best commentary team doing MMA right now, they are a lot better than the SF guys, only Frank knows what's he's talking about there, Schiavello and Trigg are a joke too. Kenny and Bas are my personal favorite but they don't call anything anymore.

I love all the Joe hate because "he's biased" if you can be swayed about who's winning a fight by Rogan talking, you probably don't know enough to be scoring a fight anyway.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
He's just a fan and he never claimed to be anything more. I'd like to hear all these instances where Goldberg is wrong though. They all make mistakes, John Madden made mistakes calling football games, but to say the guy is wrong half the time is a little crazy. They are the best commentary team doing MMA right now, they are a lot better than the SF guys, only Frank knows what's he's talking about there, Schiavello and Trigg are a joke too. Kenny and Bas are my personal favorite but they don't call anything anymore.

I love all the Joe hate because "he's biased" if you can be swayed about who's winning a fight by Rogan talking, you probably don't know enough to be scoring a fight anyway.
Frank might be the worst of that 3 man team all he does now is talk shit about people and root for his friends to the point of distorting what is actually going on. Trigg blows but Schiavello is awesome when calling K-1 he just can't get into a good rhythm with MMA because of all the stalling and stalemates. He also doesn't understand the ground game nearly to the level he does striking.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Frank might be the worst of that 3 man team all he does now is talk shit about people and root for his friends to the point of distorting what is actually going on. Trigg blows but Schiavello is awesome when calling K-1 he just can't get into a good rhythm with MMA because of all the stalling and stalemates. He also doesn't understand the ground game nearly to the level he does striking.
Frank is the best in that group imo. If he's fought a guy before though he does seriously trash them, then the whole team is bad. But he does know what he's talking about, you do have to give him that. I'm also a big Frank Shamrock fan, so I'm a little biased in that sense.

I don't watch K-1 a whole lot but Schiavello is pretty good there, I'm just not a fan of his ridiculous screaming "THE BIG KIBOSH!" and "IT'S GOOD NIGHT IRENE" I personally find it kind of annoying, I'm all for getting excited when a guy gets rocked or something, but I swear he screams that if someone lands a stiff jab, it distorts the fight worse than anyone else, because even if the guy is fine, Mike screaming over and over again makes it seem like a guy is about to go down when he's not even hurt.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
when someone gets hit really hard and is wobbly

This guy is on queer street
actually that's a very old boxing saying. Joe didn't make that one up.

You can rank a show by how many times he screams UNBELEEEEEEVABLE!!

But my all time favorite didn't come from a show. It was when he was talking about fighting Wesly Snipes-

“I think MMA is the highest level of sport and it isn’t something you can just dip your toes into. Grappling competitions are totally different than MMA. I’ve rolled with some really good guys and you just tap out if you get in trouble. It’s not that bad. Other than the Wesley Snipes thing, I’ve never thought about doing it and the only reason I thought about doing that was because I was confident he had no clue what the hell he was doing. I don’t pretend to be some badass because I’m not. I’m a legitimate brown belt and I have been for a few years now. I train with some really good guys in standup and I kick boxed for many years,” Rogan says. “For me, it was a chance to make a ridiculous amount of money and to get my hands on some actor and choke him out. There are a lot of delusional people in the acting world. That world fosters delusional thinking. You’re the main person on a set of hundreds of people whose quality of life and how much money they make is dependent on how you perform. Of course they are going to kiss your ass and tell you how great you are. You’re around yes men your whole life and you think you’re a badass who trains and spars with decent guys and you have a six pack so you think you’re invincible.”

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the Machida quote. Lets not forget, it took Shogun 5 fights to return to his old form.

First, he lost to Forrest.
Second, had an absolutely pathetic showing against Coleman.
Third, beat Chuck who most people had already written off at that point..

I remember a lot of people, in fact most people thinking it was crap that Shogun got a title shot after those three performances.

I make this point, with absolutely no disrespect intended towards Rua, I'm just simply saying at that point in time who was going to challenge Machida in anyone's eyes?

As for the Houston Alexander quote, same story. The guy had just destroyed two opponents he was suppose to lose to. That's like saying any praise or comment about Jon Jones isn't worth saying because he might lose a bout or two.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
well he has trained a lot in MMA and has seen just about every major MMA event ever so he knows his stuff when it comes to MMA. So to say he is just a comedian is just totally untrue, he is pretty damn good commentator too.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
well he has trained a lot in MMA and has seen just about every major MMA event ever so he knows his stuff when it comes to MMA. So to say he is just a comedian is just totally untrue, he is pretty damn good commentator too.
Wasn't he a serious Taekwando guy at one point too? Before he was a comedian even, I thought I seen him in an interview saying he was a black belt or something like that. And it was the whole reason he got into MMA.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Wasn't he a serious Taekwando guy at one point too? Before he was a comedian even, I thought I seen him in an interview saying he was a black belt or something like that. And it was the whole reason he got into MMA.
According to his interview with Schiavello on HDNet, he was trying to make the olympics in TKD. He was a pretty good black belt it seems.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
According to his interview with Schiavello on HDNet, he was trying to make the olympics in TKD. He was a pretty good black belt it seems.
yeah he was world class at it, until he realised TKD was totally useless in the realworld and that he wasnt making any money from it, so he decided to take up BJJ and Kickboxing classes. Now he is brown belt under Eddie Bravo and JJ Machado.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.