Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Only just started watching the first vid and feel the need to rep you already!

The sound effects guy and Rogans response is pure lol.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They both made points but both took it personally. Joe spent a LOT of time justifying why he is a "huge" boxing fan." Here is the inherent problem...

Joe said boxing is limited. true. just as limited as jits or muay thai. But that is neither here nor there. The question really is, " Will the SPORT of MMA become more popular than the SPORT of boxing? People right now are showing higher interest in a more complete form of fighting in MMA. Will take remain? Perhaps. However, cuurently, boxing pays more; therefore attracting higher level competition and is still more respected and watched world wide. It is not coincidence that the top 5 boxers in any weight division rule for years. Sure they may have more freedom to duck; but it has more to do with the many levels of the sports different competitions that weed out B level fighters. When you make 20 million a fight, you are in the ring with someone that had 200 amateur rights, probably placed in the olympics and have boxed since age 5. Until MMA has young kids training ALL current training methods and practices in MMA and get paid a lot; there will be a different level of competition. IF MMA takes over boxing; expect most MMA fights to have more chess like matches, less KO's and to have boxings fighters knocking people out in the second round. The reason would be because average boxers are less talented, expose themselves and usually get pounded as a result; which casuals love and experts don't. This is why many up and comers are exciting because they KO everyone until they get to the top level. Currently in MMA, you can get to the top level in a couple years....or fights in some people's cases. That is a poetential downfall in MMA that isn't discussed. Many people who like MMA are getting confused with the constant upsets and switching of "who is the best." Lesnar, A Silva and GSP are helping the case though because they are much higher in skill than the other fighters...which is showing that the sport is getting to a very high level...which is part of the reason that some of the fighters that fight them end up being boring and predictable....a major reason ironically that boxing was losing popularity to this sport...

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
You can see Mayhem`s doggie named Gator by his knee at the beginning :)

I get to hear a lot of Mayhem candid and uncensored, and I`m always excited to see Rogan videos, so this is a win win win for me ! Thanks!

EDIT: lots of Gator all the way through :D

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Nice find, always like listening to Rogan and Mayhem is a great character.

I think people forget how well Mayhem did against Shields. Some are talking like Shields will tear through the UFC but I think he has his limits.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
They both made points but both took it personally. Joe spent a LOT of time justifying why he is a "huge" boxing fan." Here is the inherent problem...

Joe said boxing is limited. true. just as limited as jits or muay thai. But that is neither here nor there. The question really is, " Will the SPORT of MMA become more popular than the SPORT of boxing? People right now are showing higher interest in a more complete form of fighting in MMA. Will take remain? Perhaps. However, cuurently, boxing pays more; therefore attracting higher level competition and is still more respected and watched world wide. It is not coincidence that the top 5 boxers in any weight division rule for years. Sure they may have more freedom to duck; but it has more to do with the many levels of the sports different competitions that weed out B level fighters. When you make 20 million a fight, you are in the ring with someone that had 200 amateur rights, probably placed in the olympics and have boxed since age 5. Until MMA has young kids training ALL current training methods and practices in MMA and get paid a lot; there will be a different level of competition. IF MMA takes over boxing; expect most MMA fights to have more chess like matches, less KO's and to have boxings fighters knocking people out in the second round. The reason would be because average boxers are less talented, expose themselves and usually get pounded as a result; which casuals love and experts don't. This is why many up and comers are exciting because they KO everyone until they get to the top level. Currently in MMA, you can get to the top level in a couple years....or fights in some people's cases. That is a poetential downfall in MMA that isn't discussed. Many people who like MMA are getting confused with the constant upsets and switching of "who is the best." Lesnar, A Silva and GSP are helping the case though because they are much higher in skill than the other fighters...which is showing that the sport is getting to a very high level...which is part of the reason that some of the fighters that fight them end up being boring and predictable....a major reason ironically that boxing was losing popularity to this sport...
thats 110% true. people say MMA is harder because you have more dimensions but you only have to be good in each area to be successful while in boxing to be at the top you have to perfect it and that takes a lifetime.

GSP and rashad are already doing what most boxers are doing and thats playing it safe.
once MMA starts making the big dollers, fighters will start playing it safe because they will be thinking of the payday not the fight.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
I love me some Mayhem! +rep if I can.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
LOL just watched the full podcast, that was by far one of my fav of Rogan's casts.

Although my opinion is probably a bit biased.

The ending had me in stitches...also the microphone + fleshlight part, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.