Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/04/joe-rogan-wants-alistair-overeem-nick-diaz-in-ufc/

When Joe Rogan was asked at last week's pre-UFC 114 question-and-answer session which fighters he would like to see compete in the UFC, he didn't have to think twice: Alistair Overeem and Nick Diaz.

Rogan gave both fighters very high praise too. He called Overeem "the most dangerous striker in the heavyweight division" and said Diaz was one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

Watch below as Rogan explains why he would like to see them sign with the UFC.

Click the link guys there is a whole video I'm just not sure in can be embedded.

FTR.....I have been begging for them to get Nick back I hope Dana listens....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Id love to see Overeem take on the UFC HW division but I dont think he's championship material. IMO all a top HW has to do is take a few shots and demoralize him with Randy-style clinch and beat up action and he will quit. If he gets pushed he will break. imo of course

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I saw this on Ariel Helwani's youtube. I agree with him 100%, especially about Nick Diaz.
Nick Diaz FTW. I just want to hear him talk after the fight, could care less about his actual fights, I laugh my ass off every single time he does an interview.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He's a great fighter but he definitely babbles way too much. In the same Q&A as the OP, Joe Rogan said he likes the Diaz brothers for multiple reasons that I can't remember except for two, they talk a lot of trash and smoke a lot of weed. I love them for the same reasons, on top of being good fighters and most of the time putting on great shows. I also love Rogan for loving them for those reasons :thumb02:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I love about both of them, also I love the fact that Nick just doesnt give a shit, he knows he can sub someone but wants to show them he can box.....

Someone used to have in their sig:

Nick Diaz, the only Mother F**ker that will box you up and finish you off with a GoGo....:thumbsup:

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
The way Nick Diaz throws punches makes me laugh, he hardly puts any power in them but he throws like 500 a round, guys just collapse under the stress of being pelted that many times. I love his form too, it took me a long time to get over him kicking the shit out of my idol, but I love love for Nick now.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It also allows him to distance his opponents and get the perfect reach, his stand up is certainly there now ans i have been crying or him to come back to the UFC, I wish someone would ask Dana.....Jake???

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Nick is too unpredictable for Dana to bring him back. Nick would tear through a lot of the UFC WW division pretty easil imo too. I think he'd probably give GSP more of a fight than most people think too. He's sick on the ground and has great stand up, GSP wouldn't be able to lay on top of him for five rounds like he will Shields. I would have actually preferred Diaz over Shields at least Nick is entertaining.
Nick is so overrated it is hilarious...

Overeem would be interesting though.
How so my friend? He's a way different fighter than the one that lost three straight in the UFC, and he's tanking the cans in SF it's not like he's had a hard time finishing any of these guys yet. Look at the last couple guys he's beaten, subbed Sakurao, KO'd Zaromskis like 10 seconds after he was rocked himself, KO'd Frank Shamrock, subbed Gomi. The guy hasn't lost a fight since 06 if you throw out the KJ Noons fight where it was stopped on a cut.

Reactions: Mx2

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yeah I agree with Joe, Overeem is way UNDERRATED I think, he's getting beef for dodging fights but I think a lot of it comes down to Strikeforce awakward rankings and the way they book fights and Fedor's management. And Nick Diaz is, well, Nick Diaz.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I also think that Nick is slightly overrated by many. Do you guys really believe his BJJ would be any good against a Wrestler like Fitch, Kos or GSP?? Nick has just awful Takedown defense and very very sloppy Boxing. He nearly lost to Zaromskis and even Sakurai landed a great shot at Nick wich would drop a lot of guys. The UFC WW devision has a lot of power punchers too.

I would really love to see Nick in the SF Middle weight tourney after Shields fights for the UFC.

We all know Joe Rogan is in Love with every BJJ fighter out there. I believe thats a big reason too^^

but Overeem would really be a great addition :thumbsup:

Melendez as well!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I dont care about diaz but I want to see the muscle man overeem in the ufc. Really intresting addition. He can outstrike everyone, but his success will depend on his wrestling ability and heart.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Nick Diaz FTW. I just want to hear him talk after the fight, could care less about his actual fights, I laugh my ass off every single time he does an interview.

Okay that interview with Miller is hilarious... watch Mayhem, dude is cracking me up!

On a serious note though, I really REALLY want to see Overreem in The UFC... Diaz I could take or leave. He's a great fighter, but of the two Overreem has a better chance of making a serious impact in their respective division, in my opinion.

I'm afraid however there is probably a little bit of Fedor syndrome there. My guess would be that Overreem would not want to give up his K-1 career, just like Fedor didn't want to give up his *****.

If I remember right, the most recent UFC talks with Fedor had them bending on the ***** thing as long as it wasn't another MMA promotion he was competing for. So maybe, if Overreem beats Fedor he'll get the same special offer.

Anyway, that's all speculation on my part. I just think there are all kinds of great fights for Overreem in The UFC.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Id love to see Overeem take on the UFC HW division but I dont think he's championship material. IMO all a top HW has to do is take a few shots and demoralize him with Randy-style clinch and beat up action and he will quit. If he gets pushed he will break. imo of course
Randy would get instantly murdered if he tried to clinch with Overeem.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Please explain
How so my friend? He's a way different fighter than the one that lost three straight in the UFC, and he's tanking the cans in SF it's not like he's had a hard time finishing any of these guys yet. Look at the last couple guys he's beaten, subbed Sakurao, KO'd Zaromskis like 10 seconds after he was rocked himself, KO'd Frank Shamrock, subbed Gomi. The guy hasn't lost a fight since 06 if you throw out the KJ Noons fight where it was stopped on a cut.
See bolded part. He hasn't fought anyone... None of his opponents have been well rounded mixed martial artists...

GSP, Fitch, Koscheck, Shields and Alves would walk through Diaz no problem. Even Penn and Florian would likely beat him 9 out of 10 times. Diaz might be competitive the next level down against guys like Swick, Thiago, Hughes, Hardy, Daley but that is all he will ever be.

He has good BJJ but BJJ doesn't win fights against top competition anymore. He doesn't have great takedown defense and any good wrestler would take him down and be able to avoid his submission attempts. His stand up is ok but nothing special.

Some people actually think he is one of the pound for pound best fighters in the world and that he would be competitive in a fight with GSP... Highly overrated for a can cruncher...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts