Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of Hathaway's and at 21 think he has potential to be a top Welterweight in 2 or 3 years time, just wondering where everyone thinks a win over Diego Sanchez at 114 would put him in the rankings?
Sanchez IMO is still a top 10 welterweight so a win would put Hathaway in line to fight someone like Kampmann or maybe Hendrick's should he beat TJ Grant, i always like 2 undefeated fighters going against each other? Thoughts?

·
British Bulldog
930 Posts
A win over Sanchez would be MASSIVE for him, and a huge blow and an upset for Diego.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen, I would love to see Hathaway beat Sanchez but I feel that the UFC are trying to get Sanchez back into the WW division without to much trouble.

I hope that Sanchez and the UFC are under estimating John, the dude is a great fighter, especially for his age. If he won he would immediately have to fighter another top guy and we all know that that division is stacked.

Daley, Alves, Fitch, Hardy, Kos etc etc etc

I don't know who would be up next for him - I would like to see a brit vs brit fight (a big one) but I don't feel the UFC like to do these too much.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Hathaway seems to be a really solid wrestler. This sanchez fight can either propel his career into the full flight or he can learn a lot from a loss. A loss at this point in his career isnt really going to hurt him. Excited to see his grappling skills tested against Diego.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hathaway is a very bright talent but its a damn shame he has been thrown to the wolves against Sanchez. I cant understand Joe Silva throwing a 21 year old kid against one of the best WW in the world.
We can hope for a victory but If he does lose hopefully it will not hurt him mentally and he can come back stronger.

I think he should of been built up with at least 2 more lower tier UFC fighters, so he could grow into his natural body weight and in a years time he will be even more stronger like strength wise.

Saying that its still going to be exciting seeing him fight Sanchez and comparing the ground game unless Sanchez wants to prove himself standing after the standup clinic BJ Penn put on him.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
We often hear fighters say that they learn more from their defeats than victories. Diego just received the lesson of a lifetime and now he is going to provide a learning experience for Mr. Hathaway.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I'd love to see Hathaway pick up a win (even though I am a fan of Mr Yes! Cartwheel), but I don't see it happening. Hathaway has good wrestling for a Brit, but he's not going to be able to out-grapple Diego Sanchez. Sanchez out-grappled Nick Diaz in his 3rd UFC fight, he should out-grapple Hathaway with relative ease. I see Diego taking it by submission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts