Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the fight between Diego Sanchez and John Hathaway, I must honestly say that i did not know anything about Hathaway other than that he was a British WW and i had never watched any of his fights. Knowing that Sanchez is a game competitor and a respectable fighter, I immediately just assumed he would beat Hathaway.
As Hathaway entered the cage, I was impressed by his height, length, and overall muscular build. Also, I was impressed by his undefeated 13-0 record. I really wanted to see if this guy could hang with Sanchez.
Needless to say, he exceeded all my expectations and effectively dominated Sanchez while shutting him down every time he tried to be aggressive or make a move. He showed great striking that was diverse with punches, kicks, and knees. He showed good wrestling in that he stuffed all of Sanchez's takedowns and he showed good gameplanning by anticipating Sanchez's takedown attempts and countering with a knee that almost put him out.
All in all, I am very impressed with John Hathaway and I officially put him in the category of UFC's rising stars alongside guys like Jon Jones. He's the best British fighter in the world IMO, he's only 22 with plenty of growth ahead of him, and he has a great 14-0 record.

I would like to see him step up and fight somebody like Anthony Johnson to really test his abilities, and i see a potential title shot for him in the distant future.
What do you guys think about this kid?

·
Banned
820 Posts
Well he is 4-0 in the UFC now, and I was quite impressed with his GnP. Maybe we could put him up aganist Dong in a battle of the un-beatens.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
I think i remember reading on here that this was Hathaways last fight on a four-fight deal, obviously beating Sanchez will give him a strong position in money negotiations.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Hathaway might be the best fighter coming from the UK........
ever. I've never seen this good a mix of standup, wrestling and TDD in any other english fighter, it was refreshing to see a very complete MMA fighter coming out of England rather than standup machines that turn into turtles on their backs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yea, I like this kid, very well rounded very strong for his size (Diego couldn't get him down) he has great stand up and seems to have good movement and a chin.

Hell he's even humble, might be the first figher from the UK I actuall like and will root for.

Anyone know where he trains? Is he from Wolfs Lair or another gym?

·
Registered
371 Posts
lol this is pretty much what i said to my friends at the bar before the fight started after calling bisping and hardy overrated. if you knew anything about hathaway prior to this fight, the outcome wasn't too surprising. diego think he's a boxer now he's not that good it.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Yea, I like this kid, very well rounded very strong for his size (Diego couldn't get him down) he has great stand up and seems to have good movement and a chin.

Hell he's even humble, might be the first figher from the UK I actuall like and will root for.

Anyone know where he trains? Is he from Wolfs Lair or another gym?
Pretty sure he fights at London shoot fighters academy with Zaromskis. I really like Hathaway but thought this fight might be a tad too soon for him, thought he could eak out a decision but he absolutely tooled Sanchez in the end! And he is still only 22! Huge future star for the UFC, if Duffee and oil Nog's bandwagons took a knock last night a new one was definitely created too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed, although Terry Etim might have something to say about that. Being from the UK, i already knew that John could hang with Diego, he just had to prove it. Great performance from the kid, and he could go a long way, the first Brit to have true potential, other than Etim ofc :p

·
Registered
571 Posts
lol this is pretty much what i said to my friends at the bar before the fight started after calling bisping and hardy overrated. if you knew anything about hathaway prior to this fight, the outcome wasn't too surprising. diego think he's a boxer now he's not that good it.
TBH why wouldn't Diego think he could out-strike Hathaway who's shown some pretty weak standup prior to this fight?

Before this fight Hathaway looked like he had very little standup so Diego was probably as surprised as every-one else when he started getting tagged.

I mean Diego's never been the most technical of strikers but he must've gona into this fight thinking he had the clear edge.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
TBH why wouldn't Diego think he could out-strike Hathaway who's shown some pretty weak standup prior to this fight?

Before this fight Hathaway looked like he had very little standup so Diego was probably as surprised as every-one else when he started getting tagged.

I mean Diego's never been the most technical of strikers but he must've gona into this fight thinking he had the clear edge.
I agree. Hathaways stand up has improved tremendously, to me, this just goes to show the sky is the limit for this kid. He can clearly pick up and learn all different kinds of technique for MMA and learn it fast.

Hathaway did a great job of utilising his reach in the fight and just picking diego apart with some really precise shots. I hope we see an even more improved stand up game in his next fight.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I knew Hathaway was good but I didn't realise he was that good. I thought this fight was too soon but he put a beating on Sanchez.

His GnP is brutal, and TDD for a Brit is outstanding.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
A Brit outwrestling an American?! I wasn't sure if I imagined it when I woke up this morning.

·
Registered
468 Posts
He definitely has great potential, I just hope the UFC allows him time to develop properly before chucking him in against the very best in the division.

I'd like to see him up against a decent striker. Like someone else said, "Rumble" would be a great test for him at this stage in his career or maybe Ben Saunders.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I think you might be right. And it blows my mind, I didn't give him a lot of a chance against diego. I was very wrong about this young brit.

Bright future ahead of him :thumb02:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was blown away by his performance.

I had mentioned him on this forum before, about how highly rated he was, but he really brought his game to the table last night.

I remember watching him against Paul Taylor, where he put on a GnP clinic, and looked an awesome wrestler. Even reminded me of GSP in that fight.

I'm delighted to see him win over Sanchez, which I honestly thought was a fight too soon for him.

I feel this may have catapulted him too far up the ranks too quickly though. I'd like to see him have 3 or 4 more fights, before he's thrown in with the title contenders.

Sanchez has got some huge wins in his career; Karo, Jorge Santiago, Florian, Nick Diaz, Joe Stevenson....so it's a huge win for Hathaway

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I agree with everyone that he might be the best English fighter at the moment or at least one of the most promising, and he seems to be a likable guy too, which is never a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Agreed, although Terry Etim might have something to say about that. Being from the UK, i already knew that John could hang with Diego, he just had to prove it. Great performance from the kid, and he could go a long way, the first Brit to have true potential, other than Etim ofc :p
Well, Terry Etim just lost by submission to a guy that isn't even a contender at the moment in the UFC. He doesn't really have much of a case right now.

Hathaway was very impressive against Sanchez, especially for his age. I was hoping to see Sanchez win, but I suppose it's cool to see a prospect make some waves. I still want to see Hathaways take down defense tested against a better wrestler. Diego has always had trouble taking people down and with Hathaway being a solid wrestler himself, it doesn't surprise me that his take down defense looked very good.

I think a fight against Anthony Johnson or even Johny Hendricks would be a step in the right direction considering he is one of the better wrestlers in the division and it would really put his take down defense to the test. They are both also undefeated, it would make sense in some aspects. Johnson on the other hand would be a good test because he is a decent wrestler, large fighter, and has solid stand up as well.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
i honestly think its the biggest win for uk fighter ever, Diego is one of the best fighters in the world, only ever losing to elite competition and has defeated a lot of top 10 opponents. This supposed to be a warm up for diego and Hathaway destroyed him.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts