Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Johny Hendricks is riding a wave of momentum after beating Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 on Saturday, but an injury will leave him on the shelf for the immediate future.

According to Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com, Hendricks has been diagnosed with a torn bicep, which will require surgery:

More on Hendricks. Rehab 4 wks after surgery, 4 wks of rehab (if all goes well) and hopefully start traning again in 2+ months.

That choice showed the toughness of "Big Rigg," and the fact that he was able to defeat a quality fighter like Lawler via unanimous decision despite being injured says a lot about Hendricks' ability.

Hendricks' status as the UFC welterweight champion could potentially be in question because of this injury, but he shouldn't miss a fight provided the injury heals as expected.

Although Hendricks should make sure that he is 100 percent before stepping back into the octagon, he has already proven that he is willing to fight through the pain in order to perform.

After Hendricks' gutsy showing at UFC 171, there is no doubt that UFC fans hope all goes well with his surgery and subsequent recovery.
While the injury is mild enough not to hold up the division too much it looks like we'll have some more title eliminators from the top contenders.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
While the injury is mild enough not to hold up the division too much it looks like we'll have some more title eliminators from the top contenders.
Wouldn't mind Lombard vs Woodley in the meantime.

But I don't think it is a must. Seems like Hendricks can fight in August or September.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
If he is able to train in two months and fight in the early fall, then this is really just business as usual. The average UFC title gets defended probably twice a year (if we're lucky).

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Definitely not as bad as when my grandpa tore his bicep. One of the muscles was torn right through and balled up at the bottom of his bicep...

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
That's what I always thought. I remember when Liddell tore his hamstring and it was all swollen and purple/black looking.
Yeah, they look pretty nasty if the tendon completely ruptures and snaps away form the anchor point. So I'm assuming his is relatively minor as far as muscle tears go.

Some after images of torn biceps for anyone who has never seen on or is interested. They just look like the worst bruise you can imagine, nothing graphic.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Yeah, they look pretty nasty if the tendon completely ruptures and snaps away form the anchor point. So I'm assuming his is relatively minor as far as muscle tears go.

Some after images of torn biceps for anyone who has never seen on or is interested. They just look like the worst bruise you can imagine, nothing graphic.
Yeah this is a picture of Liddell's.

[expand]
[/expand]

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts