Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Phil Davis fight this weekend and I just couldn't help but think how similar he is to Jon Jones. Stylistically and in his physical makeup. I just would really like to see these two 'up and comers', go at it..... to see who plays the game better.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
No thanks. Not just yet. Davis hasnt fought enough in the UFC to warrant a fight with Bones. It would be a huge step down for Jones to take this fight. Bones needs to be thrown against some big names now, and if Davis is around in a couple of years, no doubt the fight will happen when its good and ready.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would agree... I'm not saying Davis is ready to step up there quite yet... but this is definitely on my radar for the next couple of years if both fighters keep preforming to this potential.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, as much as I am impressed by Mr Wonderful, I must say that I think JBJ is a couple of years ahead as far as facing big names.

Phil just needs to keep it up, and if all goes well, the big fights will come to him in time...

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
No way. If Davis works his was up, then maybe next year. But for now, Bones is far far ahead of him and should be facing top 5 guys.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I mentioned before, I understand how the timing doesn't work out. But stylistically, I would love to see these two fight. And I really hope that JBJ gets to the top and that Davis can follow so we can see this match up in the next few years.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Same opinion as the rest, I predict a great future for Davis, but he's still on the undercards and need to work him self up the ladder, while Jones should face top competition next.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
NO!
Davis is very promising, but he is still fresh. He needs more fights against tougher opponents before getting a shot a a figher ranked fighter.
Jones has this something special surrounding him. In part because he is so young and he destroyed his opponents lately.
Jones needs to fight a TOP contender. Davis needs to follow Jones's steps in the LHW division and he will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Absolutely. Like you said OP, in a few years time. I love Davis as a young prospect and expect him to climb up the ladder nicely in the next 4-5 fights. This fight would probably happen for a title shot with Jones holding the belt...sometime in late 2013 :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Of course, they are two black guys, who wouldn't want to see two black guys fight regardless of how irrelevant to the division it would be at this point. (sarcasm)

And the only thing that Phil Davis and Jones have in common is that they are both black, Jones is a tall lanky Greco-Roman stylist with a ground and pound strategy and unorthodox striking, Phil is a medium height, stocky, buff freestyle stylist with a submission wrestling strategy and bare-bones yet powerful striking.

Oh yeah, real similar. :sarcastic12:

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Not any time soon. I love both guys, but Bones is miles ahead of Davis at the minute. I do see them having a rivalry in the future, but right now Jones is way ahead. I'd be far happier to see Jones wreck the Top 5's and Davis get built up and given some lower tier fights before facing anyone close to Jones.

Here's Davis's last fight if you haven't seen it. Phil wasn't too happy, said he missed out on a few submissions, but looked mighty impressive to me. He's far more orthodox than a guy like Jones.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was wondering when a thread of this nature would surface I suppose I should be somewhat impressed that you managed to pitch, 2 black opponents from the same weightclass for once...lol at the clown that said they were physically similar u one funny dude..

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Haha I was thinking the same thing! But when you actually sit and think, Jones' striking game is a notch above Davis', whilst their wrestling will probably be nullified. Thus, Jones via TKO Rd 1. But yeah definitely I'd like to see this fight.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Black-on-black crime FTW!:thumb02:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts