Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you guys remember me saying anything about it but when I met Jon a few weeks ago he said the UFC had not given him a contract to fight Alves yet. Well, apparently, according to his Facebook/Twitter he's officially signed on.

FitchFighter

SIGNED, see you in Oakland. http://fb.me/CRvQfkGp

·
Banned
439 Posts
About time! I wonder why it took so long for the UFC to get the papers to him.

Can't wait for this fight, AKA and ATT's top fighters clashing! But unless Alves' tdd has dramatically improved, I see him losing this fight via UD.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I love Alves but Fitch will lay on him and **** him .. Fitch will forever be the second best ww ever haha
I think alves has better TDD than fitch. I see this as a striking battle.

If fitch can take him down the thats a whole new ballgame.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
The Mayans predicted the second fight between Fitch and Alves. It will happen in the year 2012. Seriously I just want this fight to happen already. It's been going to happen for a year now. Let's get it done, so my boy Fitch can get another title shot. Hopefully GSP will be at MW by then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This lay and pray for points system era has to come to an end. I could see dudes like alves developing good enough takedown defense and ground game enough to get standing back up. i'm looking forward to this fight though, and pulling for alves to win it. This card is so stacked for me, i'm already too pumped on it to get excited about the other announced cards. Thiago Silva, Thiago Alves, Anderson Silva (most imp. haha), Guida, JDS vs. Nelson man i'm stoked.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Koscheck couldn't take Alvez down; I don't see Fitch doing so. He might push him against the cage and grind for 15 minutes though.
Fitch and Kos have two totally different take down styles. Kos is a pure wrestler with a lot of power in his shot. Jon is a very diverse grappler who uses not only power doubles and slams like Kos, but a lot of clinch and trip take downs as well.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Im hoping for swift brutal KO from Alves. I dont want to see Fitch sit on some one and bum them for 15 minuites.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I have this 50/50. The only x factor is Alves' lay off and hisn recovery after the surgery.
It's a fight i can't wait for, simply because i can't figure out what the outcome would be.
Fitch could try and use GSP's tactics, but he doesn't have GSP's wrestling and game plans. If it turns into a stand up war, Fitch will lose.
But....let's just see.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
People said GSP would have a hard time taking Alves down. I think Alves stuffed one takedown in that fight. Aside from the obvious "GSP is better than Fitch" I still think Alves TDD is a bit over rated and Fitch won't have that much trouble getting him down.

Alves did get back up most of the time against GSP, which surprised me. If he can bounce right back up when Fitch takes him down and get taken down a little less often then he could make things interesting but I think he'll still be too worn out from defending takedowns and scrambling to really bomb away and hurt Fitch.

I expect Fitch to win a decision fairly easily and then they have to give him another title shot. That will make me happy just because it will piss Dana off so much.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I like both fighters a lot and I am looking forward to this fight. I think that Fitch will get the win here similar to how GSP got the win. I think that Fitch will use his wrestling and his grappling to get the win here. However, if Fitch strikes with Alved, I think that he will lose unless Alves is too worried about the takedown to pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Im struggling to find a reason this will have a different outcome than the first time they fought.

I just dont see how Alves can beat Fitch, he's been basically exposed as having some soft TDD and a bad ground game.

Both fighters have advanced but Fitch is still so much better on the ground and can hold his own standing.

I cant take Alves on the "chance" that he'll KO fitch, a fighter who wont be KO'd.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
About time! I wonder why it took so long for the UFC to get the papers to him.

Can't wait for this fight, AKA and ATT's top fighters clashing! But unless Alves' tdd has dramatically improved, I see him losing this fight via UD.
Fitch and Kos have two totally different take down styles. Kos is a pure wrestler with a lot of power in his shot. Jon is a very diverse grappler who uses not only power doubles and slams like Kos, but a lot of clinch and trip take downs as well.

The only thing is that Alves has been in there with two of the best take-down wrestlers in MMA with Koscheck and Matt Hughes, and neither of them were able to take him down. Hughes and Kos have VERY different take-downs and neither worked on Alves.

The thing with the GSP fight is that GSP was the better striker than Alves, and it surprised everyone (including Thiago). This obviously won't happen with Fitch.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The only thing is that Alves has been in there with two of the best take-down wrestlers in MMA with Koscheck and Matt Hughes, and neither of them were able to take him down. Hughes and Kos have VERY different take-downs and neither worked on Alves.

The thing with the GSP fight is that GSP was the better striker than Alves, and it surprised everyone (including Thiago). This obviously won't happen with Fitch.
Well, Hughes did take Alves down at least once, maybe twice (I'd have to watch the fight again). Kos didn't but I don't think that was because Alves TDD is that stellar, I think it was because he hurt Kos standing early and that slowed him down or made him gun shy.

If he manages to land heavy on Fitch early then the same thing might happen but if it doesn't he is going to get taken down repeatedly. His TDD isn't terrible by any means but he has only had one fight, Koscheck, where is TDD looked great and I think people weight that too heavily. Every other time he's faced a half decent wrestler he's been taken down.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
That, and Kos took the fight on very short notice. However I still don't see Fitch taking Alves down easily. I see Alves picking him apart for either a decision or late 3rd round TKO.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Well, Hughes did take Alves down at least once, maybe twice (I'd have to watch the fight again). Kos didn't but I don't think that was because Alves TDD is that stellar, I think it was because he hurt Kos standing early and that slowed him down or made him gun shy.

If he manages to land heavy on Fitch early then the same thing might happen but if it doesn't he is going to get taken down repeatedly. His TDD isn't terrible by any means but he has only had one fight, Koscheck, where is TDD looked great and I think people weight that too heavily. Every other time he's faced a half decent wrestler he's been taken down.
Yeah Id agree.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts