Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
He's been fighting elite level fighters for the exact same amount of time that Jon Jones has. The only difference is that Jon Jones became the youngest champion in UFC history due to good timing and circumstances. Also Khabib has dealt with many injuries over his life and also Khabib is truly undefeated.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Khabib finishing Gaethje with the mounted triangle.

Reminds me of Jon Jones finishing Shogun, Rampage, Lyoto and Vitor. Back when Jones looked untouchable and invincible.

Give it two weeks. People will forget Khabib fighting Gaethje with two broken toes and a broken foot and making Gaethje look like a white belt. Then we'll have a better consensus for who the GOAT is.

Too bad El Cucuy didn't try to take Gaethje down or choke him. He might have had success if Khabib vs Gaethje is anything to go by.

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
I don't think Tony Ferguson could've taken down Gaethje despite the fact that they were similar wrestling skills and had adapted in a similar way to MMA. I feel like Gaethje adapted more to ground and pound in MMA then Ferguson who went about a similar style but still adapts wrestling and submissions. But yeah who fights for the title next will be interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Ferguson's wrestling/grappling cardio is probably much better than Gaethje's. He wouldn't need to get a takedown. He'd only need to make him work until his gas tank wore down.

Ferguson the "darce knight" with those long arms gives him lots of attacks he could work in scrambles or transitions.

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
Yeah he might be able to make a point if he indeed moves up to heavyweight and is able to capture the title and go onto defend it. Then and only then might he have the argument that he is indeed the best fighter of all time but the jury is still out on Jon Jones. We will just have to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Jon Jones has 5.4 million followers on instagram.

Khabib Nurmagomedov has 25.1 million followers.

Conor McGregor has 37.1 million.

Floyd Mayweather Jr has 24 million.

Which means Conor and Khabib could both be bigger draws than Floyd.

It will be interesting to see if those social media numbers have an impact on GOAT status over the long run. It being something like a popularity contest and all.

If Khabib retires now, he'll be leaving the game just when he started to get good.

Jon Jones should probably be the GOAT but I think people don't remember how dominant he was.

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
Well part of the problem is that Jon Jones hasn't been as active or as good as he could be for a variety of reasons whereas Khabib has never had any lapse in quality of fights. Jon Jones has admit that he has slacked off in training at times whereas we know for a fact Khabib has not. That is another argument one could make for Khabib being the GOAT.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Jon Jones has admit that he has slacked off in training at times whereas we know for a fact Khabib has not. That is another argument one could make for Khabib being the GOAT.

Good point.

If anyone wondered how good Jon Jones might be if he didn't get blackout drunk the week before title fights. Or how good Conor might be if not for substance abuse. Or how good Roy Nelson might have been if he showed up shredded at 185 or 205.

We might see some glimmers of that in Khabib.

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
Yeah all of those guys of course have some sort of reason they didn't fight to the best of their potential whereas Khabib always fought to the best of his ability. It goes back to an older world work ethic as compared to all of those guys' short comings. Sounds like first world flaws versus almost developing world work ethic.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Jesus turned water into wine. Some say it was "non alcoholic" wine. But I'm not 100% completely certain. Trendy things trend towards being destructive towards peoples health and spirit. Khabib avoids some negative trends like alcohol due to his religion forbidding them. Proving religion can be a good thing after all?

1st world flaws vs developing world... Khabib could be a country boy like Matt Hughes and Bryce Mitchell.

·
The Title Guy
17,410 Posts
I don't know cause Khabib never lost a match in his career whereas Anderson Silva lost several fights earlier in his career before he became ultimate form Anderson Silva. Also Jon Jones sole "loss" is that of his disqualification which some don't consider a true loss. So the GOAT argument should be between Khabib and Anderson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts