Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like Greg Jackson / Mike Winkeljohn MMA is in a decline.

Jones is looking for a golden opportunity to turn things around and prove his team is #1 in the world. Jones has an infinite amount of confidence and faith in himself and his team, like you'd expect from someone with the heart and pride of a champion. So he calls out Ngannou the biggest and scariest guy out there.

The opponents Jones had the most trouble with throughout his career were ones with a similar height and reach to his own. (Alexander Gustafsson, OSP and Dominick Reyes.) Jones range based style excels against fighters with significantly shorter height and reach, similar to Jose Aldo (struggled most vs taller fighters like Korean Zombie, Conor and Max Holloway). The most obvious issue Jones has run into is his style being less effective vs fighters with a similar frame and body type.

Not only does Ngannou carry a similar height and reach to Jon Jones, he also has some of the most legit one punch KO power anyone has ever seen. This would without a doubt be Jones toughest test ever IMO. Ngannou's losses to Stipe and Derrick Lewis were both flukes. Ngannou was so confident he would beat Stipe he didn't bother to train for that fight. Then froze in the rebound effort against Lewis. Since then Ngannou has blazed a trail of brutal one sided beatings across everyone in his path, taking no prisoners.

What do ppl think?

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
I agree that Jon Jones would have huge issues against Francis Ngannou and may in fact lose against Francis because of how much of a behemoth Francis is. Jones would never have faced a guy like Francis and I agree that Jones has had trouble against opponents around his height and reach. Also I agree that the Jackson golden age is over.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
The problem is that Jackson is a brilliant strategist but he's clearly not smart when it comes to certain choices. For example he's alienated himself from many of his pupils before. It's sad because he's a clearly nice guy and I don't think he does any alienating intentionally or with malicious intent.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how Jackson does things. I would guess the way they train kickboxing today is identical to how they trained kickboxing 20+ years ago. The way they train wrestling and grappling today is probably the same way they did it 10-20 years ago.

People invest so much time, blood and sweat into this sport. If they're not learning and improving. Its kind of like, a waste of their time. Imagine putting all of yourself, everything you have to give into something. And not getting better at it. Not learning anything. That's something like a definition of insanity imo.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Well what's weird is that there was a time where those methods of training were helping them win titles left right and center. All you have to do is look up all of the past champions that they've had, including when Winklejohn had already joined the staff. Something happened about a decade ago when things started going downhill.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think with MMA being a relatively new sport, people are constantly learning and improving. Money is also a factor. Back in the day, a person couldn't make millions being a world champion in kickboxing or karate. The level of competition and training rose as the size of paychecks and the market cap of the industry increased. In the way more cash being thrown at something usually translates to greater innovation and progress over time.

I just hope people realize they don't need to be a scientist, doctor or have a phd next to their name to innovate, learn or blaze their own trail in combat sports. The Conors and Khabibs didn't look like world beaters their first few fights in the UFC. If they could find ways to up their game, so can everyone else. All it might take is looking at how ppl do things and coming up ways to do them better.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Actually karate champions still don't make that much cause that sport has never been on the popularity level that MMA, boxing or even kickboxing has been before. As for being innovative as we've learned in the past few years, it's never too late to innovate in MMA.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think its very hard for those in MMA to question their process. They train themselves to prevent doubt from entering their mind. Their mentality is: believe, believe, believe x infinity. They're so gung ho determined they sometimes forget basics like cardio as we may have seen in Anthony Smith's last fight.

Its not easy to question or challenge the way they do things. To find new and improved methods. On the flipside it means there is plenty of room for improvement for those able to make that leap.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Yeah they need to train in all aspects of the game including cardio because cardio is one of the most important factors in a marathon match like a five round main event. Training in everything is important but that's not the only thing involved. Well rounded in everything is important.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts