Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Josh Koscheck

By the time you read this, it will be one more week until my fight with Paul Daley at UFC 113. This past week, I pretty much focused on making sure I got no cuts or injuries, and I worked my cardio hard, because the other hard work is pretty much done.

There’s not much you can do in the last week of training, so I just pace myself, try to be safe, and work on every area that needs to be worked on. I touch everything up and make it all come together so that come fight time, I know that I’ve done everything, I’m prepared and it’s time to go have some fun.

May 8th is the payoff for all my hard work during this camp in more ways than one. Money’s a big motivation, and that’s one of the primary reasons why I fight. I have good skills and I love to win, but at the end of the day, it comes down to making that money and providing for myself and for my future, so I can just focus on training, getting better, and bringing new people in and paying them to help me become a champion. And everything I’ve been doing over the past couple years has been working up to this: getting some momentum to where I can put on a great show, win this fight, become the number one contender, fight for the title, and become the UFC welterweight champion by beating Georges St-Pierre.

I feel that my time is coming, and while I’ve been close a couple times to fighting a rematch with St-Pierre in the past, I haven’t gotten there yet. Things happen for a reason though, and when one door closes, another one opens. So now that I’m back here again, I believe that my time and my hard work will pay off.

Of course, with the fight getting closer, there are a lot more interviews and media obligations, and thank God I have Heidi (Seibert) and Zinkin Entertainment around me. They’re a great support system, and I have a lot of good people that back me up and really care about me. They make things a lot easier, and I’m very thankful for that, that’s for sure. But I enjoy doing interviews; it helps promote the sport and the fights, and I like to be a team player to the UFC and show them that I’m on their team. I want to get as many viewers as we possibly can to help grow this sport, and I just want to keep winning fights, putting on a good show, and choking people out.

In these interviews though, there are a lot of people speculating a lot of things out there and every one I’ve done, they’re saying ‘oh, you’re gonna be fighting St-Pierre next.’ But to be honest, I don’t look that far ahead. I believe that if I look past Paul Daley, I’m a fool, and by no means am I looking past him. My only focus is on Paul Daley and beating him. He’s been talking a lot of garbage and I like it. I like the fact that he’s so confident, and I like that he says that he’s ready to go, because that means that after I whip his ass, there are gonna be no excuses. And if he does make excuses, then we’re gonna see what kind of character he has and what type of person Paul Daley is.

And while every victory’s sweet for me, it’s gonna be an even sweeter victory over Paul Daley because like I said in my last blog, I’ve been through hell to get here. I’ve been through a war, I’ve had a lot of personal issues, I’ve had some injuries, I’ve won some fights, I’ve lost some fights, and I’ve made mistakes throughout my career, but it’s gonna be a sweet feeling to get a victory over Paul Daley.

The funny thing is, Paul Daley keeps saying ‘stand toe-to-toe with me.’ Well, how ‘bout we go out there and get in a wrestling stance? There’s a good chance of that. I’ve got 50 takedowns in me in 15 minutes, I can guarantee you that. And every time Paul Daley goes to bed at night, he’s gotta think “Oh $%^%, Josh Koscheck’s probably gonna take me down and throw me on my head.’ Every single time he throws a punch, he’s gonna have to worry about getting thrown on his head with a takedown, and that’s where I would be worried if I were Paul Daley.

So if you’re a betting man, you better go to Vegas right now, and put money on Josh Koscheck because now that the guy has pissed me off, I can guarantee you that I’m gonna go in there and wrestle his ass down and rear naked choke him in round one. There you have it. I’ll probably beat him up a little bit before I choke him out, but in round one, he’s getting choked out. And that’s what he’s gonna have to sleep with over the next week – ‘How the hell am I gonna stop from getting taken down and put on my ass?’

I’ll check back in next week from Montreal.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=81155

Daley its gonna be a long ass night, I was a little worried Kos would try to prove something standing but I am glad to hear him say he wants to wrestle him down.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
That's kinda funny, first Kos says he can stand and bang with him and now, a week before the fight, he comes out and admits he's gonna wrestle. Unless this is some sort of double bluff it seems glaringly obvious.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Anybody who uses terms like, "team player" and "support system" can feck right off far as I'm concerned. What a knob.

Plus, this...

"getting some momentum to where I can put on a great show, win this fight, become the number one contender, fight for the title, and become the UFC welterweight champion by beating Georges St-Pierre."
and this...

"To be honest, I don’t look that far ahead. I believe that if I look past Paul Daley, I’m a fool, and by no means am I looking past him. My only focus is on Paul Daley and beating him."
... is a contradiction of the highest order. Laughable. Koscheck is drone like when he does interviews. So is Fitch. Spewing out the same old clichés over and over. So boring its painful. I would rather listen to Frank Mir, Dan Hardy and Chael Sonnen for 5 seconds than listen to the robot monkeys making lots of pointless noise for master Dana.

Please Daley. Pleeeeeeease. Knock. Him. Out. Good.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
What Soojo said.

Also, once again, I'm struggling to see how Koscheck deserves a title shot, even with a win over Semtex. He's 3-2 in his last 5, with losses to the only 2 credible contenders he's fought with his wins coming against a complete can in Trigg, Yoshida who's beaten nobody, and the hugely over-rated Anthony Johnson. A win over Daley would get him in the mix definitley, but he does not deserve a shot just for winning this fight. I'd like to see him get schooled by Jake Shields in Shields' first fight in the organisation before Koscheck gets whooped by GSP again.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Dont get me wrong. I like Kos as a fighter. I would say Kos did really well against GSP. Thats the thing that keeps his stock high.

Its the other part I don't like. He says loads of stuff but doesn't have the character to make it sound even remotely interesting or funny. The 3 I mentioned above make me laugh/cry/cringe/vexed. That's thought provoking. Listening or reading the works of Kos is cure for the most hardcore of insomniacs... But hey... he keeps on trying. Like, he really wants to do interviews we enjoy reading. But we dont. I know some of you do. But who cares. I'm on the soapbox now and you can all piss off.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
What Soojo said.

Also, once again, I'm struggling to see how Koscheck deserves a title shot, even with a win over Semtex. He's 3-2 in his last 5, with losses to the only 2 credible contenders he's fought with his wins coming against a complete can in Trigg, Yoshida who's beaten nobody, and the hugely over-rated Anthony Johnson. A win over Daley would get him in the mix definitley, but he does not deserve a shot just for winning this fight. I'd like to see him get schooled by Jake Shields in Shields' first fight in the organisation before Koscheck gets whooped by GSP again.
But that stands even more for Daley here! He is 4-1 in his last 5 fights. He fought weaker competition then Kos. If you look at both guys, Kos is by far the more deserving fighter for a title shot atm. Plus he had a competitive fight with GSP already.. so the chances for a really good fight are really high! Daley however could improve his TDD over 100%.. he would still not be able to keep the fight standing. If you are a fight fan, you must root for Kos in this fight. Daley is just pointless :thumbsdown: and a waste of a title fight.

Daley has only 2 UFC fights lol.. thats a big joke! Kos fought top competition over years now.

Dont get me wrong. I like Kos as a fighter. I would say Kos did really well against GSP. Thats the thing that keeps his stock high.

Its the other part I don't like. He says loads of stuff but doesn't have the character to make it sound even remotely interesting or funny. The 3 I mentioned above make me laugh/cry/cringe/vexed. That's thought provoking. Listening or reading the works of Kos is cure for the most hardcore of insomniacs... But hey... he keeps on trying. Like, he really wants to do interviews we enjoy reading. But we dont. I know some of you do. But who cares. I'm on the soapbox now and you can all piss off.
I don't care about his interviews either Soojo.. but damn he became a great MMA fighter, who I really enjoy watching. He improved so much over the years and always delivers spectacular fights. I can't think of anything better right now, then a title fight with him.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
In fairness to Daley, Brock only had two fights as well and he was actually 1-1 in the UFC, not 2-0.....
Thats right Ez! And that should never happen again!

In my mind Daley doesn't deserve fighting Kos right now.. he should fight somebody like Hughes, Serra, Yoshida and so on.. again I guess thats only because he is British. Dana wants British fighters at the top, thats why they always get a special treatment from the UFC.

If it isn't.. then I really start to question Dana's ability as a fight Promoter and his counterpart Joe Silva!

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
People seem to seriously over rate koscheck on this forum and i dont know why. 3-2 knocked out by paulo thiago, almost knocked out by dustin hazlett in the opening of the first round, beats an over rated and over hyped fighter anthony johnson in a fight that was riddled with controversy, gets beaten to a pulp by thiago alves who he was unable to take down and KO's frank trigg. Am i missing some thing here? I actually like kos as a fighter, he always puts on exciting fights and i love how he has improved greatly since the tuf days, but people seem to seriously over rate the guys skills.

Koscheck aint got no chin, he has good recovery, thats for sure, but when a striker like paul daley tags you clean, you dont get time to recover and thats all it takes in this fight. i think people are over rating kos' skills and under rating Daleys. im confident Daley can stuff a take down or two from kos and keep this fight standing and get the KO. man im hyped for this fight.

Reactions: K R Y

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
ha. That whole bit was for Daley to read not us. He's planting that seed in daley's mind. Now watch Kos get the KO ala randelman/cro-cop. He'll fake the shoot and throw his favorite right hand over the top. It's gonna be so sweet watching Daley ask his corner what happened?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
People seem to seriously over rate koscheck on this forum and i dont know why. 3-2 knocked out by paulo thiago, almost knocked out by dustin hazlett in the opening of the first round, beats an over rated and over hyped fighter anthony johnson in a fight that was riddled with controversy, gets beaten to a pulp by thiago alves who he was unable to take down and KO's frank trigg. Am i missing some thing here? I actually like kos as a fighter, he always puts on exciting fights and i love how he has improved greatly since the tuf days, but people seem to seriously over rate the guys skills.

Koscheck aint got no chin, he has good recovery, thats for sure, but when a striker like paul daley tags you clean, you dont get time to recover and thats all it takes in this fight. i think people are over rating kos' skills and under rating Daleys. im confident Daley can stuff a take down or two from kos and keep this fight standing and get the KO. man im hyped for this fight.
what are you talking about 3-2? did you just see someone else type that so you're saying it also? he's 12-4 in the UFC. he's lost to GSP, Paulo Thiago, Thiago Alves on 2 weeks notices and Drew Fickett in 05' back when Fickett was actually pretty good and Kos was a relative newbie. None of those are bad losses in my book. Nobody rates him higher than GSP, Fitch or Thiago Alves, so he isn't "over-rated" by the pure definition of the word. Unless you're saying the UFC is full of cans then what is the worth of having 12 UFC wins? I would take 12 UFC wins over 12 wins any org that Daley has fought in.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
But that stands even more for Daley here! He is 4-1 in his last 5 fights. He fought weaker competition then Kos. If you look at both guys, Kos is by far the more deserving fighter for a title shot atm. Plus he had a competitive fight with GSP already.. so the chances for a really good fight are really high! Daley however could improve his TDD over 100%.. he would still not be able to keep the fight standing. If you are a fight fan, you must root for Kos in this fight. Daley is just pointless :thumbsdown: and a waste of a title fight.

Daley has only 2 UFC fights lol.. thats a big joke! Kos fought top competition over years now.
I don't want Daley to get a title shot either. Neither are interesting fights for GSP. He's already smashed Koscheck, and Daley would go the same way as Hardy, except Daley has slightly better TDD, but worse sub defence. GSP only really has 2 decent fights left at WW; one of them hasn't signed for the UFC yet, Jake Shields, and then you've got the winner of Fitch-Alves. Neither of these 2 should be getting a title shot yet.

Don't agree with the 'if you're a fight fan' thing either. I'm a Paul Daley fan, so I want him to win the fight. I don't care if Koscheck's a better style match-up for GSP. I'm a Semtex fan, and Koscheck is one of the few fighters I actually dislike. Hope Daley wins this fight in convincing fashion.

Daley does deserve this fight also. He's knocked out 2 Top 10 fighters (at the time he fought them) in the first round. Koscheck is coming off wins against inferior fighters to those 2, so I don't see how Daley is possibly not worthy of the fight. He's a better fighter than you're giving him credit for Bobby.

Reactions: The Dark Knight
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.