Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone knows how to embed the video, please go ahead. Here is the text:

Not wanting to be outdone by smack-talking sonnet writer Chael Sonnen, James Toney is stepping up the pre-fight banter ahead of his UFC 118 showdown with Randy Couture on August 20.

In his most recent interview with BJPenn.com, the 41-year-old International Boxing Association heavy weight champion who likens himself to a stingray, calls Couture "a octopus" who he says would be the equivalent of "a bum in boxing" skill-wise. He once again attempts to goad the former UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight champion into standing and trading with him "like a man" and not laying on top of him "f-ing him like he's his girlfriend."

I'm starting to think "Lights Out" is a bit more concerned about being on his back than he's letting on.

On the bright side, James, maybe Randy will give you half of his money and let you keep his last name after he beats you lays on top of you for three rounds.

Here's what Toney had to say about Couture and his style of fighting:

"Randy….respect to him. He’s a legend in this sport. In boxing, he would be considered a bum. He’s runnin’ his mouth sayin’ he’s gonna do this and do that. Talk is cheap. Bring your ass. Be a man. Come fight me. If you want to wrestle or lay on top of somebody, go **** with your girlfriend. Don’t **** with me like that, cos’ I’m gonna hurt you. I promise you."

"He’s a holder. Like I said, I’ve been in there with the best in the world, man. He ain’t never seen nobody like me before in his life. I don’t care if it’s MMA, boxing or whatever; he ain’t never seen nobody like me. I’ve seen it. I’ve been there. I’ve fought clinchers. Maybe not huggers like this dude. This dude’s like a octopus, but you know what? What happens to a octopus if he goes into a stingray? You know what [happens]? That’s what’s gonna happen. In order for you to grab me and get close to me, you have to get in my range. And when you get in my range, that’s when I’m gonna take yo’ head off."

"Everybody come out, “What you gonna do about this?” Man, dirty boxing, wrestling – his wrestling is nothing. In order for you to wrestle, you have to get close and once you get into that range, it’s over with. All I need is three inches to hit you – that’s all I need. If it’s a rib, I’m gonna break it. Put it this way, on August 20, I’m gonna break something on Randy Couture. I’m either gonna break his jaw, or I’m gonna break his ribs – either or, whichever comes first."

And here's Toney's somewhat interesting take on where boxing and MMA stand today:

"Everyone know that boxing is still the number one sport in the world, even though the UFC and MMA are puttin’ on better shows. I’ll give you all that. I’m not gonna dispute that at all. But you know boxing is still the number one sport in the world. What else you gonna get when two men stand toe-to-toe, blow-for-blow? Instead, in this sport right here, you got one man who’s scared to get hit and another man who all he wants to do is lay on you. That’s not exciting."
http://www.cagepotato.com/video-jam...anatee-sting-stingray-against-octopus-couture

·
Registered
780 Posts
"Talk is cheap"

"James Toney said something else stupid thread"

Hypocrite.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
He does sound very afraid of the fight going to the ground and seems to know his first punch is the only one he is going to get.

·
Banned
75 Posts
He does sound very afraid of the fight going to the ground and seems to know his first punch is the only one he is going to get.
If he even gets that.
Randy isn't stupid. He's not going to take a risk like that or play Toney's game even for a little bit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James final paragraph is him already making excuses for his upcoming loss:

"What else you gonna get when two men stand toe-to-toe, blow-for-blow? Instead, in this sport right here, you got one man who’s scared to get hit and another man who all he wants to do is lay on you. That’s not exciting."

·
Banned
75 Posts
I hope that Toney stays on for one more fight, hopefully against a kickboxer like Pat Barry or Hardonk. I wonder what kind of smack he will talk then.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Żołdak;1237625 said:
If he even gets that.
Randy isn't stupid. He's not going to take a risk like that or play Toney's game even for a little bit.
Oh he will probably throw a punch as Randy comes at him, but make no mistake, Randy's punch is actually a grab for the clinch. Toney has that one chance to find lightning in a bottle.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Oh he will probably throw a punch as Randy comes at him, but make no mistake, Randy's punch is actually a grab for the clinch. Toney has that one chance to find lightning in a bottle.
I personally see it different. I think Toney will come swinging for the fences and Couture will get the take down, mount, Arm Triangle Choke.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Żołdak;1237653 said:
I personally see it different. I think Toney will come swinging for the fences and Couture will get the take down, mount, Arm Triangle Choke.
I think against most wrestlers I would probably agree, but Randy very rarely, if ever, uses single or double leg takedowns. He likes to get into the clinch up against the cage and trip/slam his opponents down. I don't see Toney rushing Couture because his team will have told him if he does that then Couture will score a TD.

Although if he does come out swinging and rush Couture then Couture will probably just shoot on him and go for the TD. But for all the shit he talks I don't think Toney has the balls to do that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Żołdak;1237643 said:
I hope that Toney stays on for one more fight, hopefully against a kickboxer like Pat Barry or Hardonk. I wonder what kind of smack he will talk then.
same here i hope dana doesnt kick him to the curb immeadiately after randy works him over, im just starting to get used to his incoherent, mush mouthed, & denial ridden remarks

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
No, submissions, no lay and pray I just want Randy to posture up and rain down blows till Toney taps.

·
Banned
820 Posts
As funny as it would be to see Toney win, I think it would be even funnier to see Randy maybe catch him with an over hand right when/if he shoots in on Toney, and KO him.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Just thought about this, what if all this talk is to get Randy to keep with the common held belief that Toney is going to just throw punches. What if (now go with me on this) Toney comes out and tries to shoot on Randy?

We all know Randy can sprawl with the best of them and would probably laugh as he defended it. Would you respect Toney if he tried it?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just thought about this, what if all this talk is to get Randy to keep with the common held belief that Toney is going to just throw punches. What if (now go with me on this) Toney comes out and tries to shoot on Randy?

We all know Randy can sprawl with the best of them and would probably laugh as he defended it. Would you respect Toney if he tried it?
I think i would be laughing too hard to care about respecting it.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
I just cant understand why Toney has made a huge deal following Dana around to fight in the UFC, and then wanting Couture to box him? If he wants to box he should stay in the ring. . . The guy is a few whores short of a brothel, and ima be so upset if he KO's Couture.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Don't even think He'll need the choke. I think he gets mount and pounds on Toney until he taps.
I don't even think he'll need the strikes. Toney taps from being mounted then executes the paul daley maneuver.

I just cant understand why Toney has made a huge deal following Dana around to fight in the UFC, and then wanting Couture to box him? If he wants to box he should stay in the ring. . . The guy is a few whores short of a brothel, and ima be so upset if he KO's Couture.
this doesn't translate well. Over here we're all a few whores short.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dana is as terrified of feeding Silva to Toney as he is of GSP to Silva. Even if Couture loses he has nothing to lose; Couture is old and past his prime and nearly 50.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.