Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone thing Judo is so useless. many of the submission's in the sport are general judo practise. Plus all the throws are great for taking a guy down with more then the double or single leg. A lot of the underhook sweep takedowns are judo. Yoshida, karo, newton (at the start), hector lombard, Justin bruckman (he's beat the crow and is ucc champ) and shonie carter (I know he trains everything) these are just some of the fighter's that practise it. This is a official record from the National and International Judoka in MMA Win-Loss Statistics there record is 119-57-2 that's 67 %. That's not that bad.

·
Banned
209 Posts
Judo is not useless....it came from Jiu-Jitsu, some of the the throws etc are useless in my opinion, but not all. Look at Sanchez last fight with Karo..

"he is not going to throw me with that Judo crap"

what happened??? He got throw...like 5 times at least....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I take BJJ but theres a guy in my class who showed me judo throws and I think there great to know. The throws are so powerful and its very practical in the MMA world if its done by the right practicineer. I dont think enough guys in MMA do judo. I think its worth learning judo basics if you wanna be a good fighter.

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
Actually Judo came from Japanese Jiu-Jitsu during the feudal Japan era. Some JJJ moves were too dangerous and deadly, so the emporer commisioned some practioner to create a new fighting system that wouldn't kill it's own people when in training. Judo was the result. I for like Judo and all it's throws, my nephew took Judo for 3 years and he teaches me some stuff. It is not useless to a grappler, not even a striker because if you know the Judo throws and your a striker, then you can counter it.

Sidenote:
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu came from both Judo and JJJ, mainly Judo. They just threw out all the moves that needed strength and power and came up with their own system.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
i would think judo would help no matter what type of fighter you are..the more martial arts you know the better you can be

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
judo has very little ground game...but on the bright side you can out throw anyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
judo is awsome the takedowns are probaly its biggest advantage. throws look like they do same damage as slams if not more cause they get more velocity. and besides they look sweet.

the more skills you have as a fighter can only better yourself. and it can improve your defence of takedowns if your a striker.

Karo is my fav welter weight and i think he will one day have that belt. he is still young and will only get better with experience.

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
moldy said:
It's why it's the only martial arts in the olypics.
isn't it a sport? like boxing?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Almost all of the PRIDE fighters have a Judo backround. I know that Fedor and Aleksander do. I know that Josh Barnett uses a little bit of Judo, whether he's aware of it or not. Anyone who thinks that Judo is useless and/or underrepresented needs to take another look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.