Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone who reads this! this will be long, so just take it easy on me please.

Im Six foot-six foot one, two hundred thirty five pounds, plenty of extra flap id love gone and ive been training mma twice a week (due to distance away from where i live, about a thirty minute drive, and no job to pay for gas on my own yet, otherwise id go every day if i could) for about two and a half weeks. usually one hour long class, but lately ive been doing two hours each day i go.

Everytime i go for muay thai (focusing on getting the cardio and metabolism of my completely out of shape self up to speed), but im starting to involve submission grappling after the muay thai. My first few muay thai classes, i managed to get through quite easily, with the exception of having to try and get used to two different teaching styles from both teachers, and jumping exercises that kill on the legs (usually ten minutes straight of jump rope, two and a half minutes of jumping jacks, two and a half of jumping jills) and kill a good deal of my energy. after that we go onto pushups, leg lifts, and windshield wipers (usually fifty of each).

Thats just the warm ups. After that im nearly gassed. I barely have any energy to go through the class. At my last muay thai class, before we ended things, our instructor had us do and hold leg lifts as he went around and smashed us in the stomach with a thai pad. If we dropped our legs at any time, we got hit twice. Suffice to say, i got hit twice.

What im needing is help on ways to improve cardio, muscle endurance (jumping drains pretty much all energy in my legs), any ways (besides the obvious dieting and extra exercise) to drop my extra weight (id like to be 215-205, preferably closer to 205), and build muscle to replace the fat. I know ive probably been gaining slight muscle and losing a little bit of fat and need to be patient, but id like to see results faster any way.

I thank you for taking the time to look, read and hopefully answer. Any (serious) responses would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
First... Two days a week is an awesome start but by far not enough to get you in shape to the level you want or need to be.

Start walking, jogging, running EVERY DAY. If you have to start out at half a mile each day and every day try to push yourself more and more. Make sure to drink LOTS of water throughout the day as this will be the #1 thing to help you with your diet also. 99% of all hunger pains in most situations especially exercise related are dehydration. Another note on the diet is drink coffee fairly often as it will jump start your metabolism and is an appetite suppressant.

More on the workout routine. Every morning when you wake up do basic exercises including push-ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks etc... If you have the energy do a similar routine in the evening. Every time you do these try and push your body to do more and more. Day 1 set a goal of 30 push ups, day two try 35 and etc.

Alright on to diet! EVERY MORNING wake up and drink a protein shake(1 scoop whey + 1/2 cup yogurt + 8oz water) or make some oatmeal with protein powder in it. One serving is enough... What you want to add to this is 1-2 tbsp of black strap molasses(loaded with nutrients, gives your body fast burning carbs to jump start your metabolism in the morning and has other health benefits) and 2 tbsp of flax seeds(high in fiber and other nutrients). Add the molasses and flax seeds to either the protein shake or oatmeal. Start drinking nonfat milk and try to transition other items in your diet to low fat, low carbs, high protein...

The only time you really want carbs is a small amount in the morning and pre-workout.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask in the thread or shoot me a PM. If you would like I will even help put together a strict and structured workout and diet program for you and help you out all I can.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
You might want to look into doing some plyometric work outs at home between classes. Its more of the jumping that kills you but its the only way to get better at it. The more you do it the better you get at it.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Bas Rutten bro you can do his workouts at home and if you dont have a bag just shadow box.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alright on to diet! EVERY MORNING wake up and drink a protein shake(1 scoop whey + 1/2 cup yogurt + 8oz water) or make some oatmeal with protein powder in it. One serving is enough... What you want to add to this is 1-2 tbsp of black strap molasses(loaded with nutrients, gives your body fast burning carbs to jump start your metabolism in the morning and has other health benefits) and 2 tbsp of flax seeds(high in fiber and other nutrients). Add the molasses and flax seeds to either the protein shake or oatmeal. Start drinking nonfat milk and try to transition other items in your diet to low fat, low carbs, high protein...
as of right now, itll be a while before i can protien power and all that good stuff. Im trying to not burdern my parents with having to pay for everyting (curse being seventeen with no one hiring me)

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask in the thread or shoot me a PM. If you would like I will even help put together a strict and structured workout and diet program for you and help you out all I can.
id really like it if you could help me get a good workout routine and a diet program going for me. +REP

its days like today that kill me. I wake up, check the post from my phone, get ready to do the morning exercises you told me, and my elbow is all ****** up. if it i extend it at all, pain shoots all up and down my arm constantly. because of this, Im not going to train tonight to be safe. Im going to wait and see if it goes away or if it persists. I hope it goes away and is nothing serious. I dont want to train and risk ruining my elbow

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
its days like today that kill me. I wake up, check the post from my phone, get ready to do the morning exercises you told me, and my elbow is all ****** up. if it i extend it at all, pain shoots all up and down my arm constantly. because of this, Im not going to train tonight to be safe. Im going to wait and see if it goes away or if it persists. I hope it goes away and is nothing serious. I dont want to train and risk ruining my elbow
Ice, ice, ice, ice, ice and more ice and then hot baths with Epsom salts... Swap back and forth doing so. Also when training hard or even breaking into training don't feel bad about taking Tylenol for the pain and an NSAID(Naproxen or Motrin) for inflammation in joints or muscles. I am sure with you starting to grapple you are getting pretty bruised and sore so the salt baths will help more than I can explain as the Epsom salt will speed the healing time of the bruises, help with muscle soreness a ton and help draw out lactic acid buildup in your muscles. After the hot bath I usually finish with a COLD shower to rinse off and more or less give myself a short ice bath.

As for protein if you can't afford protein powder use fat free milk and yogurt if possible.

Also I forgot to mention MAKE SURE you are taking a decent multi-vitamin every day! This is extremely important as when you are working out your body is depleting a ton of essential nutrients and when you don't replace those it will greatly slow recovery time.

Tonight after I am done training I will start to put together a body weight workout program/routine for 4-5 days a week that you can do at home with ease. As for diet I will start out just putting together dieting guidelines and requirements to keep you healthy and help you achieve your goals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my elbows feeling a good deal better. i think it might have something to do with accidentally blocking a body kick tuesday. (my arms instinctively dropped down, and i know it hurts the kicker more than the blocker, but it was sore for a bit after that and some yesterday.)

good luck training tonight. Im going to go tonight and take it easy and stop anything involving my left if it starts up again. After missing both days last week, i dont want to miss out again. (house sitting an hour and a half away for my brother).

im going to get ready for tonight. good training, and hopefully no injuries for both of us.:thumb02:

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
my elbows feeling a good deal better. i think it might have something to do with accidentally blocking a body kick tuesday. (my arms instinctively dropped down, and i know it hurts the kicker more than the blocker, but it was sore for a bit after that and some yesterday.)

good luck training tonight. Im going to go tonight and take it easy and stop anything involving my left if it starts up again. After missing both days last week, i dont want to miss out again. (house sitting an hour and a half away for my brother).

im going to get ready for tonight. good training, and hopefully no injuries for both of us.:thumb02:
lol thanks... right now at my level of training I am in a constant state of soreness and minor injuries that I just have to push through and work through whatever pain there may be. Do your very best to check kicks wit your legs and not your arms. Any and every time you drop your guard is EXTREMELY bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol thanks... right now at my level of training I am in a constant state of soreness and minor injuries that I just have to push through and work through whatever pain there may be. Do your very best to check kicks wit your legs and not your arms. Any and every time you drop your guard is EXTREMELY bad.
i wasnt checking a kick when it happened. My partner was supposed to be doing a jab-cross-kick combo. He was going between head and high body kicks (arm pit area). his foot was coming high like it was a head kick, but then dropped down suddenly. It was like my body took over and droped from blocking a head kick down to blocking a body kick.

today was better. we have two different teachers with two different styles of teaching. Rich's warm ups are easier and save more energy, but he focuses less on each person getting the lessons right. Aaron's warm ups are intense and drain you, but you start running on adrenaline with how intense the lessons get.

anyway.
I managed to last for about four of the five minutes of jump rope, managed the push ups ( girly version on the knees ), got the windshield wipers down and then the v-snaps. we worked on knees. a jab-cross-hook- MT clinch and pull into a strong knee, then a jab cross hook long knee. According to aaron my knees are the best hes seen them. and to me, improvement is improvement.

anyway, my point, after all this, is that i went all out. I did everything with everything i had. no wimping out on anything. i took it easy at first because of my elbow, but it took what was giving and had fully improved by the beginning of the class. ive seen small improvements in myself since starting muay thai the beginning of the month. muscle in places i didnt have it before. able to last longer (slightly) through the classes.

hopefully your training went well as well.

p.s.
dustin hazzlett was nearly taken out by a double ended bag. one of our boxing coaches was testing out the setup and he hit it a little too hard, breaking the tie to a fifty pound weight, and the boxer dodged and the bag shot over towards dustin. he slightly humorous once everyone was alright

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
Start with this every morning and evening and if you want after doing it a few times I can scale it up for you but should be pretty difficult at first...

A: 15 Body Weight Squats
B: 15 Walking Lunges
C: 15 Jump Ups (Just normal jumps straight up)
D: 8 dips (or 10 decline push ups if these are too tough; Use two chairs for this at home as its the easiest)
E: 10 Jump Squats (Go deep like a normal squat and then explode up and jump as high as possible)
F: 60 Second Plank
G: 30 Jumping Jacks
H: 20 Push Ups (Do as many normal as possible and then transition to knees but you must get all 20 no matter what)

Complete all of these twice start out. Between each circuit take a 1.5 minute break. Make sure to drink plenty of water... Between each exercise there is no rest so keep pushing yourself through at your own pace but try your best and push yourself as hard as possible.

If you have any questions please let me know and I will answer any/all questions you may have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive been trying to do it everyday. But there are times when i just cant. But its just about everyday with maybe one or two where i dont get too

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
If you keep doing them you will get to the point where they will be easy! Your cardio and muscle endurance will start to skyrocket and will burn a good amount of calories too.

Overall how is it feeling and working out for you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the thing i have the problem with is the plank. I have problems keeping the muscles tense and flexed. I have no where near enough upper body strength for dips, but i manage to do at least ten decline push ups

·
Registered
89 Posts
the thing i have the problem with is the plank. I have problems keeping the muscles tense and flexed. I have no where near enough upper body strength for dips, but i manage to do at least ten decline push ups
If I'm not mistaken, planks are a core exercise. If it's killing you, work at other core exercises outside of this workout plan to build up for it. My upper body is so bad that I'm having to work wrist curls often in order to build up my ability to do pushups (lack of upper body combined with being 6'0" and 240lbs make them a chore). A similar approach may be useful to you.

Best of luck with your training, man. I know what it's like to be in your shoes since they're much like my own. :thumbsup:

@mroutdoorsman: Nice workout. I think I'll adapt some of that for myself, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I'm not mistaken, planks are a core exercise. If it's killing you, work at other core exercises outside of this workout plan to build up for it. My upper body is so bad that I'm having to work wrist curls often in order to build up my ability to do pushups (lack of upper body combined with being 6'0" and 240lbs make them a chore). A similar approach may be useful to you.

Best of luck with your training, man. I know what it's like to be in your shoes since they're much like my own. :thumbsup:
thanks man. and with the pushups, use your knees if you have to. It makes it easier on you. I can only do like ten to twenty (depending on energy level) normal, but on the knees, i can do like thirty - fifty.

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts

@mroutdoorsman: Nice workout. I think I'll adapt some of that for myself, too. :thumbsup:
Planks are strictly a core exercise but also press on the shoulders a lot. There is more focus on the shoulders depending on how your arms are. An easier way to plank is from the forearms but the preferred and recommended way is to do it from the 'up' push-up position.

There is no problem with doing push-ups from the knees if you have to and a easy way to reduce stress on the wrists is to use something like dumbbells, push-up bars, or something like the perfect push-up OR from your knuckles to reduce stress on the wrists. To fight you do need to build strength in your wrists but this is best done with a light weight dumbbell and curling your wrist up until you are no longer able for a few sets (to fail each set).

Kendrick if you have any questions or want any help at all please let me know!

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is no problem with doing push-ups from the knees if you have to and a easy way to reduce stress on the wrists is to use something like dumbbells, push-up bars, or something like the perfect push-up OR from your knuckles to reduce stress on the wrists.
I'll keep these things in mind, thanks.

To fight you do need to build strength in your wrists but this is best done with a light weight dumbbell and curling your wrist up until you are no longer able for a few sets (to fail each set).
Exactly what I've been doing since I realized my wrists were lacking so badly. Glad I'm on the right track. I'm currently using a 5lb dumbbell. Sound about fair?

Kendrik if you have any questions or want any help at all please let me know!
Appreciate that offer a lot. I'll hit you up if/when I have a question and can't readily find an answer with a click of the search button. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Planks are strictly a core exercise but also press on the shoulders a lot. There is more focus on the shoulders depending on how your arms are. An easier way to plank is from the forearms but the preferred and recommended way is to do it from the 'up' push-up position.

There is no problem with doing push-ups from the knees if you have to and a easy way to reduce stress on the wrists is to use something like dumbbells, push-up bars, or something like the perfect push-up OR from your knuckles to reduce stress on the wrists. To fight you do need to build strength in your wrists but this is best done with a light weight dumbbell and curling your wrist up until you are no longer able for a few sets (to fail each set).

Kendrick if you have any questions or want any help at all please let me know!
gotta love this guy. Always helping people out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.