Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone practice kata anymore ? I think I read someplace that Bas Rutten does alot of kata ?? Im just curious the pros of doing kata if any
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Sure. Any form of striking combination or submission attempt is a kata, unless you are only counting partnerless training. I do a great deal of weapons work, alot of which is kata, as well as some tai-chi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
no offense to ironman or easy but come on guys!!

you both know he means the differant forms of kata's used in traditional karate.

And just like the definition yes they are "detailed patterns of movements practiced either solo or in pairs"

but in traditional they are actually moves, or you could even say "combos" i took karate for a few years so i had to do them, and they had names.

like this kata, and that kata and the mean dragon kata LOL sorry it was a long time ago and i dont remember the exact names!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was really curious if anyone uses kata or patterns I guess Kata or patterns can be compared to shawdow boxing ?
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Steve-d said:
no offense to ironman or easy but come on guys!!

you both know he means the differant forms of kata's used in traditional karate.

And just like the definition yes they are "detailed patterns of movements practiced either solo or in pairs"

but in traditional they are actually moves, or you could even say "combos" i took karate for a few years so i had to do them, and they had names.

like this kata, and that kata and the mean dragon kata LOL sorry it was a long time ago and i dont remember the exact names!
Thanks. I was trying to keep him from feeling stupid, but whatever.

People stopped using kata as a form of MMA training after the introduction of Brazillian Jiu-jitsu in America, which proved that partner training was much more effective in developing patterns of movement than forms and katas. Miletich Fighting Systems is also an example of strict partner training.

There are still some groups in Japan that do kata training for MMA, but none of their fighters are any good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I was just curious to see if it is used and or has any uses
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
IronMan said:
Thanks. I was trying to keep him from feeling stupid, but whatever.
Dont get mad about it there buddy.

making it sound like you dont know what he is talking about is what will make someone feel stupid but nice try there ;)

I was the one trying not to make him feel stupid!
 

·
canadian champ
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
Judo still uses kata. There are three sets of three that you must know for your black belt. It is boring kinda like dancing. One hand here for one step then here and so on. And if both partner's are'nt really good it looks like hell. But yeah anyone taking judo should know it. And should have done there first set by blue. Second and first for brown and all three for black. they actually still have kata competions belive it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
While I don't enjoy it, it is a necessarity to move up in rank and my club practices it frequently. (I mean frequently.) However I would never risk questioning my Sensi or his motives so I practice with a smile on my face and intentions to succeed.
 

·
canadian champ
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
we only have to practise it before belts. Thats why i boycot getting another belt. I think it's silly. but what do i know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
IRISH said:
Does anyone practice kata anymore ? I think I read someplace that Bas Rutten does alot of kata ?? Im just curious the pros of doing kata if any

The Martian Arts I have studied had Kata, dont they all?
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
IRISH said:
I was really curious if anyone uses kata or patterns I guess Kata or patterns can be compared to shawdow boxing ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Katas can be used for several different aspects but traditionally they were used for practicing your martial art techniques alone. I train and teach at a martial arts school and the katas are now used more for conditioning and cardio. We do them at slower pace to start then gradually increase the speed of the movements until you are just completely winded. Kinda like shadow boxing as someone mentioned earlier, and yes if you pay attention to the TUF training on TV you can see that some of them were doing Katas / Shadowboxing / MMA striking simulations for conditioning by themselves.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top