Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Kenny Florian wins!

Votes: 29 78.4%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two-time number one lightweight contender Kenny Florian today confirmed a previous Boston Herald report that he will indeed collide with Gray Maynard (9-0) at UFC 118, which is tentatively scheduled for the TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Aug. 28.

"Ken-Flo" shared the good news on ESPNs "MMA Live" earlier this afternoon, saying he signed the dotted line to take on "The Bully," who is perhaps the last remaining threat at 155-pounds.

Naturally, this makes the rematch between former UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn and newly-minted division kingpin Frankie Edgar all the more likely in the near future ... perhaps in the night's main event.

Star-divide

Florian has been to the mountain top twice before. First against Sean Sherk in a five round unanimous decision loss at UFC 64 in 2006 and then most recently at UFC 101 in 2009 when he was choked out by ex-champ BJ Penn in Philadelphia.

He's remained unbeaten in eight other contests following his loss to "The Muscle Shark."

Like Florian, Maynard has been a handful for the lightweight division since graduating the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). "The Bully" is perfect through nine fights and even has a unanimous decision win over current champion Frankie Edgar.

It's likely that the winner of this contest will be next in line for a shot at the crown -- but will it be against "The Prodigy" or "The Answer?" Time will tell.

Keep it locked in to MMAmania.com for more updates on this story as they develop.

----------------------------------------------------------

This looks like a fun fight. Maynard is not always fun to watch but Florian won't let this fight be boring even if his is on the loosing end. I'm not sure how Maynard can win this fight but he may just pull it off in the same fashion he beat Edgar with. This is a hard choice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I picked Florian but Im surprised its 20-2 for him in this poll right now. Kenflo is undoubtably the more well rounded fighter but Im not 100% sure that maynard wont be able to take him down and grind him out for 3 rounds.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I like Maynard for the upset. His wrestling and improved striking is not to be taken lightly. I think he surprises Kenny with his control and there is no chance of Kenny koing him so look for gray to exchange alot even at the risk of getting picked apart. gray has 1 punch KO power.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I think Kenny wins, and I think he does so by TKO. I'm not typically one to go on MMA math or past fights, but Gray seemed to run into a bit of trouble with the striking of Nate Diaz, who isn't quite on the level of Kenny Florian. I think Kenny finds a home for his newly acquired jab, and I think, eventually, it wears Maynard down, leaving him open for a combo attack which eventually puts him away. Potential submission if Gray takes Kenny down and gets caught... but I'm feeling the TKO more.

Gray just looked too sluggish in his last outing. Whereas Kenny turns it up more and more with each outing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I picked Florian in the polls but I actually think that Maynard can grind this one out like he did against Edgar. It's just so hard to go against Florian. I guess it's hard to go against Maynard also since he is unbeaten. I've always been the kind of guy that thinks you have to lose to realize your faults and really peak as a fighter. (That is not 100% true for everyone)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.