Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=3512

I dont think Kimbo will EVER be a contender but i really do enjoy watching him. He is very humble and very real.

Its always interesting to see how much progress he has made in each fight. In the Houston fight i was very impressed so i hope he can keep making those strides in his upcoming fight.

That said... im predicting Meathead by KO.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I must admit as well, I have grown to really like the dude. He seems like a very down to earth kind of dude and seems to give the sport a huge amount of respect, and the same with his opponents.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What I find fascinating is just how much the public's perception has changed on Kimbo. I think that is 100% due to his attitude. He does NOT come off like you would expect. He really comes off as humble and wanting to learn. And I believe him. I think that is just who he is. He realizes the opportunity he has in front of him and most importantly he realizes that he can not rely on just his hands. Good for him. He will never be the best, but I like the fact that he is willing to put in the work to try. THAT is what makes a good fighter.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
The only reason I really like Kimbo is because of his personality and attitude. You would never expect him coming from where hes from to be as humble as he is.

·
Banned
689 Posts
kimbo's a really cool dude and i don't know why people hate on him but than revere a "bisexual" beer gut having fool that is tank abbot

·
Registered
750 Posts
damn after seeing that interview i really think hes got potential, dudes anything but cocky hes def a good example of a humble guy he may not be that great but hes still likable.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Yeah, he might have a good attitude, but I still don't really care for him as a fighter. I kind of want him to lose a bunch of fights and fade away.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Yeah i like Kimbo! He is humble and respects the sport, and loves the sport...

And he doesn't seem like the quitting type and i respect that... Rampage is one of my top favorite fighters because he wants to bang, and use his ground game to knock you the F out...

I admit i didnt like him at first, and thought he was a freak show after his very quick loss to Seth Petruzelli

But he has been keeping at it, and beat a guy that fought some top level dudes.... He is evolving and that to me shows how much work he has been putting in!

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Well dont get me wrong Ive been on a roller coaster as far as fandom goes with Kimbo its had it ups and downs the downs being in the elite x days and street fighting...But now hes really turned around his image

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Well dont get me wrong Ive been on a roller coaster as far as fandom goes with Kimbo its had it ups and downs the downs being in the elite x days and street fighting...But now hes really turned around his image

Yeah the Alexander fight for me showed what a bitch Alexander was, and how Kimbo has evolved and didn't give up after getting kicked on his bad Knee for 15 min...

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Yeah it showed how much he came along by trying to pick angles and not bum rush in

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's good to see everyone come around on Kimbo. I think his time with Bas humbled him, and he realized what was necessary of a professional fighter. Since the discovery of him participating in TUF, I became a fan. He could of easily traveled to Japan and taken several paydays as a freakshow fighter, but instead he took the blue-collared road to earn his way into the big show, acquiring as many skills as he could along the way.

All that said, I think the bigger, stronger, more athletic Mitrione stands and bangs with Kimbo, and puts him to sleep.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
My first thought when he ventured into MMA was "man this stupid thug is gonna get tapped and sent packing" but couldn't have pulled a bigger 180 on that.

Such a humble and sound guy, I am so surprised at how he is trying his heart out to train and learn as much as possible.

Will never be a big threat but really wan' him to stay in the UFC because he has 100% the right attitude.

·
Banned
689 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
The only reason I really like Kimbo is because of his personality and attitude. You would never expect him coming from where hes from to be as humble as he is.
Thats exactly how I feel. When I first heard him coming to MMA I thjought it was a James Toney situation where he thought that MMA = Street fighting, and that he could KO anyone with his hands no matter how many years they spent pefrecting their skills.

He is just taking advantage of this opportunity that he has gotten, and he is taking it seriously. Thanks to black comedians I am now aware of the concept of being a "hater", and I cant be hating on a guy like him just because he's been able to cash in on his situation. He gives you no reason to hate on him.

I accept that the UFC is going to make some decisions based on fighter's marketability rather than their MMA skill because they are a business. I complain about the excessive product placements in PPVs that I paid $50 for (including beer logos on the mat that cause fighters to slip occasionally) but its the business side of the UFC that has made this sport viable at its current level, where all these amazing athletes have opportunities to make a living off thier skills (instead of just being an assistant high school wrestling coach or the equivalent around the world).

I can deal with (and even enjoy) fights like Kimbo vs Meathead on a UFC PPV card if it helps expand the sport and thus further expand the talent pool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.