Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Knees to the head of down opponent should be legalized?

• Yes

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 47.3%
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now more than ever I want this rule changed. The main group that suffers from this rule are wrestlers. Anderson silver can take out someone out standing with one knee shot, generating astounding power, yet someone on top position on the ground, who probably can only generate half the power, is prohibited from kneeing the head. Everyone complains about lay and pray, and one of the reasons it occurs is this rule. I would surmise that half the lay n pray matches would be result in stoppages if this rule were reconsidered.

I wish the fighters and fans would speak up on this more. Soccer ball kicks to the head I can understand. Knees I can't. There are numerous strikes that are more dangerous. Anyone know the reasoning behind making them illegal?

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
There is no give from the floor of the Octagon. Could you imagine getting a knee to the side of your head, and then your head bouncing off the floor? I may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you can understand.

Also, how about a knee to the head while you're getting up?

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is no give from the floor of the Octagon. Could you imagine getting a knee to the side of your head, and then your head bouncing off the floor? I may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you can understand.
Not just that; but also the ability to isolate the head from like a North/South and still surmise a lot of damage with little head movement. The less the head can move; the worse. The rules are pretty fair at this point IMO....

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can, just still not convinced it's more dangerous than a knee from the thai clinch.

I mean if we're going to be consistent, shouldn't all knees to the head be banned?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wrestlers suffer?

Brock Lesnar,Rashad Evans,Shane Carwin,Frankie Edgar,Georges St Pierre etc all seem to have pretty decent time in the octagon. If anything wrestlers thrive under the rules where they are ALLOWED to lay n pray. Knees to the head wouldn't do anything

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, you have more body movement in the clinch, giving you a higher chance of being able to defend yourself.
Being able to defend is a different issue. I realize that those fighters who are weaker wrestles will suffer. But I'm talking about the power of the shot itself. Wrestlers shooting doubles are vulnerable to much more dangerous knee shots. Take the sandman's KO over Martin. That was brutal.

Where is there a knee to a downed opponent that's comparable? It should be consistent.

Are you really that thick headed?

I was going to put a productive reply to this thread but after you responded with this, I decided to hold off.
What was wrong with my reply?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A strong knee to the head from north/south can literally kill someone.. so no.
Okay, assuming this is true, why not just ban the north south knee? They ban certain elbow angles. Why not fine tune knee angles as well?

...and btw, so can a standing knee. In fact so can a punch to the head even with 14 oz boxing gloves (forget the exact weight).

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
because what if someone accidently does the wrong type of knee and seriously injures his opponent? That couldnt really happen with elbows.
Anyone can die from any strike. Where is the proof that a knee from the ground is more powerful than a standing knee? I'm just asking. Have there been studies proving this? Obviously there was a reason behind the ban, I just want to know the reasoning.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Imagine a huge guy like Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin, wrestling someone to the ground....they then proceed to knee their opponent to the head.

We would possibly see the first fatality in MMA.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imagine a huge guy like Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin, wrestling someone to the ground....they then proceed to knee their opponent to the head.

We would possibly see the first fatality in MMA.
to be honest, I think a knee from the thai clinch or a flying knee like from sandman would be more dangerous. I've seen Brock's knees to the body from top position, and don't see the same power generated. In fact his punches from the ground seem to have about the same power (such as those administered to Mir).

I don't want to see anyone die, and to be sure, mma is dangerous. I just don't see why this one strike has been picked on. The north south knee I can see, but still don't agree. I've seen this knee over the years and have never even seen someone hospitalized from it. In fact I can't even remember a KO from one. Other strikes I have.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe this will clarify my objection a little more. If a downed opponent is more vulnerable , especially when his head is touching the ground, shouldn't all strikes to the head be banned in that situation? Example, Machida KO'd Silva via a punch to the head while Silva's head was on the ground. Brock KO'd MIr with punches while his head was on the ground.

I could use every argument offered here against knees to also ban these punches. Would you all be down with that as well? Do you just want to see all strikes to a downed opponent banned? That would at least be consistent.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Anyone can die from any strike. Where is the proof that a knee from the ground is more powerful than a standing knee? I'm just asking. Have there been studies proving this? Obviously there was a reason behind the ban, I just want to know the reasoning.
wheres the proof? hmmm what about common sense? what if someone ko'd some one but then followed up with a diving knee straight on his head while he was on floor unconscious, is that enough proof? thats maybe a bit extreme but it could happen if these rules were allowed. the sport doesnt need to be anymore dangerous than it is IMO.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Also, how about a knee to the head while you're getting up?
Never mind knees I want soccer kicks/ stomps in ufc

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can, just still not convinced it's more dangerous than a knee from the thai clinch.

I mean if we're going to be consistent, shouldn't all knees to the head be banned?
No. If your head is on the ground, there's a lot less give. Also, if your head is on the ground, the odds of knee to the temple go WAY up. And that's a kill-shot. That happens even once, and the besides the victim being dead, so is the sport.

A knee to the chin in a Thai clinch is just an uppercut with a lot of core strength, and a lot more chance to block it.

Totally different.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.