Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Thanks to MMABay.co.uk for the following:

Wolfslair MMA Academy heavyweight, Cheick Kongo has signed a new six fight deal with the UFC, a deal that could see him in action with the promotion right up until 2012.
MMABay learnt of the news this past week, with a source close to the situation indicating the deal had only been done a few days ago.

Kongo is coming off an impressive three round mauling of Paul Buentello on the UFC on Versus card. The fight saw him return to winning ways after dropping back-to-back fights to Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir
."

Before the Cain Velasquez fight, I was on the Kongo "Bandwagon." At one point, I figured him to be a legit threat. Even with his win over Buentello, I am not impressed. Besides, it was Buentello (that dude is on his way out). Kongo (vs) Nogueria anyone???:thumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd like to see Kongo vs. Struve or Kongo vs. Duffee. I think those are good matchups.

Nog should fight the Mir again. That fight makes sense. The winner reestablishes themselves as a legit contender.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Kongo vs Gonzaga might be an interesting match!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kongo vs Mir rematch, Mir goes down !!!
Really? I just can't see Kongo beating Mir. It was a surprise that Mir beat Kongo on the feet so quick. So even if you chalk it up to a "lucky punch" (which I don't believe in) there is still nothing that Kongo can do to keep Mir from taking him down and subbing him. I would still watch the fight, I just think the result would be the same.

I do like the idea of Kongo vs. Nelson.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Really? I just can't see Kongo beating Mir. It was a surprise that Mir beat Kongo on the feet so quick. So even if you chalk it up to a "lucky punch" (which I don't believe in) there is still nothing that Kongo can do to keep Mir from taking him down and subbing him. I would still watch the fight, I just think the result would be the same.

I do like the idea of Kongo vs. Nelson.
If Mir takes Kongo down and defeats him, then how would the Nelson fight be any different?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Haha, come on now! I saw that right after I posted, but I was too lazy to edit it.
LOl, good notice though! The only reason I would want to see Nelson fight Kongo is because I like the "fake out" fight. You know . . . the guy that looks all fat and out of shape (aka Nelson) beating the guy that looks like a freakin' monster (aka Kongo). That's the type of fight I like to invite my non-knowlegeable MMA buddies to. I get to listen to them say, "ah man that big black dude is going to destroy that big fat white dude". Then I just sit back and watch their face!! Of course, I guess I just have a weird sense of humor like that!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Kongo is all right. He is a good gatekeeper, and that's the only reason they renewed his contract. He still has some interesting fights left. For god's sake though he really has to work extensively on his ground game.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.