Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I was Dana I would make this matchup it's a perfect no risk situation for the UFC.

If Kongo beats James Toney a Boxing Legend lost to a solid gatekeeper of the UFC. I wouldn't want to see Kongo stand too much but we all know that Kongo has some real violent GnP if Kongo got Toney down I think it might be "lights out". Kongo does not have the greatest wrestling in the world but how much skill does he need in the area to get a Boxer down with little to no backround down?

On the other hand and side of the story that im sure Dana is scared of Toney winning by brutal KO. If Kongo stands a little longer then he should of fails to take Toney down and Kongo does get knocked out then so what? If this happens everyone goes "ok I guess your legit" but a win over Kongo is not HUGE like it would be if the Boxing Legend came in and KOd a Legend of our sport such as Couture or Nog.

At the end of the day it depends on what the UFC wants to do with James Toney. If they want him to do well they should match him up with anyone they want really. If they want to shows the Mixed Martial Artists are the better fighters I think Kongo would be the safest and smartest choice to make.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Don't mind my avatar I do have alot of respect for Kongo and I think this could be a good match up for him.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather see him fight Roy Nelson.
Ya we know Dana doesn't like the guy so I don't think he would mind throwing him under the bus. If he does win though im sure they would much rather give the glory and hype to someone who has been a solid fighter in the HW divison.

Not that Roy Nelson sucks or anything but Kongo has fought lots of guys and done quite a bit for the UFC. Where Dana just plain doesn't like Nelson.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think Kongo would get wrecked, he's got a great physique but he's just...not good lol.

Nelson would give it to him. Solid stand up, solid ground game, fat as hell...what else can you ask for :)

I see what you're saying though, a win over Kongo would be good for Toney, and a win by Kongo would make a bigger statement about boxing vs mma than a win by Nelson...a fat guy.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
no i want him to fight a real mma fighter like roy or randy who have both said they would love to fight him.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i want him to fight a real mma fighter like roy or randy who have both said they would love to fight him.
Throwing Randy in there would not be very smart even though it would have high reward.

The guy would win 9 out of 10 times but what if Toney clipped him and put Randy out? It would be DEVESTATING to MMA.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
Throwing Randy in there would not be very smart even though it would have high reward.

The guy would win 9 out of 10 times but what if Toney clipped him and put Randy out? It would be DEVESTATING to MMA.
so are you afraid to put a real mma fighter in there because he is going to get beat. Ok it doesnt have to be randy but we need to have him fight a real mma fighter not kongo.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
that begs the question. if kongo to you is not a real mma fighter then what do you consider an mma fighter to be?
well i should have said more well rounded fighter. I consider congo a one demential kick boxer but i would consider someone like big country a well rounded mma fighter who has great standup and ground work. Mir has great stand up and a great ground game he is a well round mma fighter.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kongo may not be the best HW in the world but for the most part he is solid. Saying he is not a real fighter is pretty disrespectful to him and everyone he has beaten. That's just my way of looking at it though.

The thing is I said in my original post that Kongo may not have the best wrestling but he probobly would not need the best to get Toney down to the ground. Your right Kongo is not known to be the most well rounded fighter but were talking about James Toney here.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i wouldn't mind him fighting someone on the level of kongo first. if he fights a top fighter like valesquez theres always the chance of a hail mary KO. you all saw what mercer did to tim sylvia right? if toney beats kongo its no biggey, kongos barely a top 20 fighter anyway. yet, if kongo wins we can say one of boxings all time greats was beaten by a glorified gatekeeper (which kongo is right now)

kongo does have the style to beat toney, he has a solid chin and decent striking skills, so he's far from incompetent on the feet. plus he's been favouring wrestling in his past few matches. i'd expect them to trade a few blows before kongo takes the fight to the ground and scores a tko victory.

Reactions: UFC on VHS

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
so now kongos stand up is pretty good? its better than mirs....unless you think that one punch signifies some good standup by mir. he has an okay ground game and i bet kongo would beat big country. i would not be surprised if kongo kos toney with a flying knee

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so now kongos stand up is pretty good? its better than mirs....unless you think that one punch signifies some good standup by mir. he has an okay ground game and i bet kongo would beat big country
The internets a crazy place a week before UFC 107 Kongo was the best HW striker in the UFC.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
The internets a crazy place a week before UFC 107 Kongo was the best HW striker in the UFC.
well that might have been true from a pure striking aspect but now its prob. jds.....wait i take it back it is jds.:praise01:-if you want to be mostly a striker go to lhw, everybody strikes and you can find a bunch of guys that want to knock you out. plus its the one div. where top five would rather knock you the f**k out than sub or dec. you.:thumb02:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
why Kongo?? why is everyone acting like Kongo is some sideshow circus fighter you throw in every once in awhile?

Give him Heath Herring after Heath is fully healed

·
Registered
681 Posts

Randy has already been beaten by a WWE wrestler. Being beaten by a HOF boxer would do him no harm what so ever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts