Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam Caplan: I know you are probably tired of talking about Diego Sanchez at this point but he’s made some new comments about you in the recent week. In an interview with MMAWeekly, he said the following:

“One that would be big for my heart and soul would be Josh Koscheck. The number one question that everyone always asks me is, ‘When are you going to kick that Josh Koscheck’s ass?’ So hopefully, maybe in June or July, we can go ahead and set that fight up.”

Is that a rematch that has any appeal to you?

Josh Koscheck: Obviously it has an appeal to me because the guy just hasn’t learned his lesson yet. The heart of the matter is that the guy wins one fight after two losses and he thinks he can call me out. Personally, I had to wait two years and be miserable knowing that I lost to that guy. So I’m going to make him think about it.

I’m going to make him think about it but that fight is going to happen again but it’s going to happen on my terms because I won the last one. Diego, I think he needs to win a couple more fights and I think he needs to improve his game because his game isn’t good yet. He’s one dimensional. He has no standup. All he can do is take you down and try to pound on you.

For Diego, his time is coming. He just hasn’t matured yet and hasn’t grown up but his time is coming. It’s what it is. But I’m in his head and I’ve probably been in his head for the last year. It’s probably one of the reasons why he lost to Jon Fitch. Jon Fitch is a much better fighter than him anyway, so it doesn’t matter but in all the interviews all he said was that he couldn’t wait to beat Jon Fitch and then avenge his loss to me. Obviously I’m in his head and it’s a good time. It’s a good time to be Josh Koscheck and having a win over Diego Sanchez, that’s for sure.

But there’s also this thing of everybody making excuses, “Oh, he had a staph infection” and this and that. You know, people get injured all the time. I’ve had my knee shot up almost almost every fight. You know what I mean? That’s a part of the sport. Deal with it and stop making excuses. Everybody is out there making excuses, “Oh, he had this and was sick” or “He had a staph infection.” Well, guess what? People get injured every fight. You know this last fight I had the worst training camp of my life. I was sick and I had a hurt back the whole time. And guess what? I still went out and performed, didn’t I? Yeah, exactly. So stop making excuses Diego and you’ll get your chance. I’m not running from you, that’s a guarantee. And I’m going to make you eat those words of wanting to fight me.

Sam Caplan: I know you might be kind of biased, but in your mind is there anyone more deserving of a welterweight title shot than Jon Fitch?

Josh Koscheck: There’s nobody more deserving of a title shot in the welterweight division. I’ve said this in several interviews; when me and Mike Swick were on the reality show, we were out there in the public eye becoming famous almost over night because of the reality show on the UFC. Jon Fitch was at our level but didn’t have any PR and wasn’t making the money we were making at the time. The poor kid was in the gym just training his ass off and look where he’s at now?

He’s truly self-made. Jon Fitch is a self-made UFC fighter. He’s put his time in. He put his dues in while we were on tours and getting the PR and getting the big sponsorships but Jon Fitch was in the gym sacrificing. Now it’s paying off for him and I’m really happy for Jon Fitch. Not only is he a training partner but he’s a good friend. He’s just a genuine person that really care about mixed martial arts and becoming a champion.

Sam Caplan: I interviewed Fitch recently and asked him about some of the top prospects at AKA. He mentioned a heavyweight by the name of Cain Velasquez. Fitch was pretty high on him, in fact. What do you think of him?

Josh Koscheck: You guys are going to see Cain Velasquez in April. He’s going to be a phenomenal. I believe right now that he can compete for the UFC heavyweight title. I’m the type of guy that doesn’t give much credit to other fighters. Like I said, I’m selfish and only care about myself (laughs). But this kid is a good kid and I think he can bring back the heavyweight division in the UFC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't wait to see that fight. hope Diego chokes him out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You should probably take it in context with the rest of the interview. Obviously it was tinged with sarcasm considering the paragraph where he lauds Jon Fitch.
Perhaps. Sometimes sarcasm isn't very clear in the typed written word. Kos does seem cocky, though many of the fighters seem cocky. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts