Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I just did my physical this past year with Dana White. The problem is I'm not allowed to wrestle and fight. Dana White will not permit that."

"I’m a UFC die hard. Strikeforce yeah, I looked that way... but the one I want to fight for is Dana White."

"I do want to do the UFC, the MMA thing and hopefully God willing it will be in the next year or two."

"I don't consider myself a pro-wrestler, I consider myself an Olympic gold medalist. Brock [Lesnar] and Bobby [Lashley] were great wrestlers but they weren't anywhere near where I was. I'm in the top 5 of the greatest amateur wrestlers of all time."

"Some of my fellow Olympians are Randy Couture, unfortunately he didn't walk away with a medal in the Olympics but he's still an incredible wrestler. I would love to see how I would fare against him."

"Brock Lesnar is the real deal, he's an animal. Bobby Lashley is up and coming and is going to be great. But I don't know where I'll be, light heavyweight or heavyweight. I can make either one like that."

"I train at the Pittsburgh Fight Club. My trainer is Eric Hibler. Not a lot of people know who he is, but that's a good thing. What I'm going to use is what I do best and that is wrestling and ground and pound."

http://mmadiehards.com/

Interesting.. Dude's 41 but so is Toney.

Imo starting at that age with a strong wrestling background > strong boxing background.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Great find. I would love to see Kurt Angle in the UFC. He is a phenomenal athlete and would be a big draw. We have seen time and time again how guys with wrestling backgrounds have success in MMA, and Angles wrestling is second to none. Make it happen, Dana.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
someone attempts a guillotine on him he would probably die. Its ashame really, the guy would of been one of the best ever IMO if he started straight after he won his medal. He is one of those guys thats just great at anything he does, i mean he is one of greatest Ameteaur wrestlers of all time and is now one the greatest Pro wrestlers of all time. I know thats nothing to do with MMA, but the guys become the greatest at the two main things he has done in life and he has the same passion for MMA, the guy would of been a animal no doubt in my mind.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I think Kurt is a tremendous athlete, and Lord knows he has heart, but I think an MMA career would come about ten years too late. His body has been left battered and broken by years of professional wrestling, as well as an amateur wrestling background before that, so I seriously doubt he could ever come into a fight 100% healthy. As I said, the man's heart is unquestionable, and mentally, he'd be ready to go... but I just don't think his body would be able to keep up.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
What a shame Kurt couldn't have joined MMA at a much younger age, he'd be a monster at LHW and possibly even HW. At 41 one though and like others have said after years of being slammed in pro wrestling I just don't think he'll be able to keep up with the younger, less worn athletes of today. Pro wrestling is a very demanding sport where guys are getting thrown around on a weekly basis, he must have slowed down a lot and has possibly had a heap of concussions.

If he'd had bailed out early like Lesnar did, he might have been a similar kind of threat as Lesnar, except better wrestling :confused05:

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
What a shame Kurt couldn't have joined MMA at a much younger age, he'd be a monster at LHW and possibly even HW. At 41 one though and like others have said after years of being slammed in pro wrestling I just don't think he'll be able to keep up with the younger, less worn athletes of today. Pro wrestling is a very demanding sport where guys are getting thrown around on a weekly basis, he must have slowed down a lot and has possibly had a heap of concussions.

If he'd had bailed out early like Lesnar did, he might have been a similar kind of threat as Lesnar, except better wrestling :confused05:
In WWE Kurt broke his neck on a regular basis. It's a miracle he is still around wrestling. With his history of injuries he probably won't get the nod to fight MMA. I do agree that if he went to the UFC instead of WWE in 1999 he would be a machine. He would make Tito look like a fool with his wrestling, I know that much. Angle is for real.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yeah, it's just a shame he's no longer relevant or fit. If he'd moved into MMA almost straight after winning his Gold Medal he'd have been a beast. Not many guys have the wrestling pedigree and detirmination to succeed like Kurt Angle. His strength and conditioning programme (if not hugely exaggerated) was incredible. If he put as much work into MMA as he did winning an Olympic Gold he would have been a star. Just a shame that MMA wasn't a sensible career move in '96. If he'd have won his medal at the 2000 Olympics he'd probably have moved into MMA and not Pro Wrestling.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
remember when Fedor outwrestled that olympic silver medalist??

ahhh, good times.

·
official thrash metal connoisseur
3,329 Posts
In WWE Kurt broke his neck on a regular basis. It's a miracle he is still around wrestling. With his history of injuries he probably won't get the nod to fight MMA. I do agree that if he went to the UFC instead of WWE in 1999 he would be a machine. He would make Tito look like a fool with his wrestling, I know that much. Angle is for real.
agreed.

and even at age 41, now that Shawn Michaels has retired, he is the best professional wrestler active today.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
how do you get deemed "Best professional wrestler"?? lol

Undertaker has had a helluva better "professional" wrestling career then Angle.

i could also name 10 guys who are more popular then Angle ever was.

i dont get how real wrestling creditentials would make you the best professional wrestler ever??

Angle had slightly above average mic skills, the most important thing in wrestling.

i would say even a guy like Jericho is better then him.... way, way, way better at improv and the business in general.

thats why angle is bush league wrestling for quite awhile. nobody cares.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would love to see curt angle in the UFC, he can still do it. I listen to Bubba the love sponge on sattelite radio sometimes and he's had wrestlers on there who say Curt is a BAD MO FO for real, by far the toughest guy in wrestling. I haven't watched wrestling since I was a child but it seems to me that there are more serious injuries than in MMA. I guess because of the high flying acrobatics they do.

Angle vs Gonzaga....Angle vs Leznar.....Angle vs Couture...they all sound great.

ANGLE VS TONEY....how great would that be, Angle would crush him.

how do you get deemed "Best professional wrestler"?? lol

Undertaker has had a helluva better "professional" wrestling career then Angle.

i could also name 10 guys who are more popular then Angle ever was.

i dont get how real wrestling creditentials would make you the best professional wrestler ever??

Angle had slightly above average mic skills, the most important thing in wrestling.

i would say even a guy like Jericho is better then him.... way, way, way better at improv and the business in general.

thats why angle is bush league wrestling for quite awhile. nobody cares.

I dont think any MMA Fan cares how good his Mic skill are or how he stacked up against "Pro Wrestling" competition. Having an Olympic Gold Medalist in the Octagon would be awesome, I for one could care less about his last job.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Rulon Gardner competed in MMA once and his spine isnt jelly. Should try to get him back into MMA. Oh yea, he wants no part of it after experiencing it 1st hand.

Angle could have been great. now he has no chance and keeps talking about it, hyping up pro wrestling fans.

he would get smashed. and he might die.

Its funny that ppl think he could just toss around all the HWs tho. Unlikely.

credentials = overrated

nice to have but these guys training MMA wrestling full time for years now. if he went to LHW i could see him having more success if his neck wasnt messed up.

I think Cole Konrad and Stephen Neal are both top 5 NCAA HW ever. Cole isnt just steam rolling MMA just yet tho, altho he could be good. its just not that easy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Back in his 'prime', yeah maybe. Now? He'd break his neck after whip lash of a strong jab. Not knocking the guys credentials, skills or anything but he wouldn't last with the injuries hes sustained throughout his wrestling career.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
btw i told u guys about Dan Cormier

Wrestling credentials
2008:

U.S. Nationals champion
Olympic trials champion
Olympic team captain
2007:

Pan American Games bronze medalist
U.S. World Team Trials champion
U.S. Nationals champion
Dave Schultz Memorial International champion
2007 world bronze medalist
2006:

DNP in World Championships
U.S. Nationals champion
2005:

U.S. Nationals champion
Second in World Cup
Ivan Yarygin Memorial International champion (Russia)
Second in Super Cup (Russia)
2004:

Fourth in Olympic Games
Participated in Titan Games
U.S. Olympic Team Trials champion
U.S. Nationals champion
Boutiatyr Grand Prix champion (Russia)
Fourth in Ivan Yarygin Memorial International (Russia)
2003:

Third in Ivan Yarygin Cup (Russia)
Sunkist Kids International Open champion
Fifth in World Championships
Pan American Games champion
U.S. Nationals champion
Member of 2003 World Team after winning Special Wrestle-Off at 96 kg/211.5 lbs.
2002:

Third in U.S. World Team Trials
Pan American Championships gold medalist
Third in Dave Schultz Memorial International
2001:

Seventh in U.S. Nationals
Second in 1997 Junior Nationals (Greco-Roman)
Fourth in 1997 Junior Nationals
Third in 1995 Cadet World Championships (Greco-Roman)
Fourth in 1995 Cadet Nationals (freestyle and Greco-Roman)
NCAA runner-up at Oklahoma State Univ.
Misc:

1998-99 Junior College National champion.
Four-time U.S. World Team member (2003, 2005-07)
Five-time U.S. Nationals champion (2003-07)
Two-time Outstanding Wrestler at the Louisiana state tournament

wanna stop wasting time on loudmouths like Angle and watch a real wrestler with a real shot of making it?? this is the guy.

he trains with a real camp btw (AKA)

btw not a diss at angle. as a wrestling fan (real and pro) and practitioner, i have alot of respect for what Angle has done.

He is now just a WWE guy tho, talking out his ass and promoting himself, looking for a payday.

we all know he cant compete with the injuries he's had. i wish he would stop living in the past and talking about MMA and stuff. its a nice "could of" but i dont see him as anything other then James Toney.

Its funny, really. the double standard.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Actually, he suffered a broken neck during the olympic games, so his neck problems began very early on, rather than emerging after a long career in sports entertainment.

His neck issues were exacerbated, but were present long before his "pro" career began.

someone attempts a guillotine on him he would probably die. Its ashame really, the guy would of been one of the best ever IMO if he started straight after he won his medal. He is one of those guys thats just great at anything he does, i mean he is one of greatest Ameteaur wrestlers of all time and is now one the greatest Pro wrestlers of all time. I know thats nothing to do with MMA, but the guys become the greatest at the two main things he has done in life and he has the same passion for MMA, the guy would of been a animal no doubt in my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts

Just have to hope he goes better than that in MMA. Lucky the referees were there to spare the embarrassment, as if they weren't there Angle would have had his shoulder snapped by the Kimura. To be fair to him though, that was when he was suffering with his neck injuries.

If Angle's body is in good enough condition to fight, and he trains full-time for a few months then I'd be happy to see him fight MMA. If Toney can get a UFC contract at 41 and with no MMA experience, then I don't see why an Olympic Gold Medallist can't either. The key is his body though, and if, as rumoured, he's not in good knick, then he wouldn't stand a chance of getting licensed.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
btw i told u guys about Dan Cormier

Wrestling credentials
2008:

U.S. Nationals champion
Olympic trials champion
Olympic team captain
2007:

Pan American Games bronze medalist
U.S. Nationals champion
2007 world bronze medalist
2006:

U.S. Nationals champion
2005:

U.S. Nationals champion
Second in World Cup
Ivan Yarygin Memorial International champion (Russia)
Second in Super Cup (Russia)
2004:

Fourth in Olympic Games
Participated in Titan Games
U.S. Olympic Team Trials champion
U.S. Nationals champion
Boutiatyr Grand Prix champion (Russia)
Fourth in Ivan Yarygin Memorial International (Russia)
2003:

Third in Ivan Yarygin Cup (Russia)
Fifth in World Championships
Pan American Games champion
U.S. Nationals champion
Member of 2003 World Team after winning Special Wrestle-Off at 96 kg/211.5 lbs.
2002:

Pan American Championships gold medalist
Third in Dave Schultz Memorial International
2001:

Seventh in U.S. Nationals
Second in 1997 Junior Nationals (Greco-Roman)
Fourth in 1997 Junior Nationals
Third in 1995 Cadet World Championships (Greco-Roman)
Fourth in 1995 Cadet Nationals (freestyle and Greco-Roman)
NCAA runner-up at Oklahoma State Univ.
Misc:

1998-99 Junior College National champion.
Four-time U.S. World Team member (2003, 2005-07)
Five-time U.S. Nationals champion (2003-07)
Two-time Outstanding Wrestler at the Louisiana state tournament

wanna stop wasting time on loudmouths like Angle and watch a real wrestler with a real shot of making it?? this is the guy.

he trains with a real camp btw (AKA)
That dude seems seriously legit... I'll be looking for him.

btw not a diss at angle. as a wrestling fan (real and pro) and practitioner, i have alot of respect for what Angle has done.

He is now just a WWE guy tho, talking out his ass and promoting himself, looking for a payday.

we all know he cant compete with the injuries he's had. i wish he would stop living in the past and talking about MMA and stuff. its a nice "could of" but i dont see him as anything other then James Toney.

Its funny, really. the double standard.
I think Angle COULD HAVE been something great had he not went to Pro Wrestling, but he's far, far past his prime now. The only person I could ever see being even moderately successful in the UFC at his age is Randy and that's because he just isn't human. With the massive amounts of injuries Angle has procured I don't think he'd last two fights without something snapping in him.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.