Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobby Lashley's next step up the MMA ladder will come with Chad Griggs as his opponent.

A Strikeforce official confirmed to MMA Fighting that Lashley will take on Griggs at the upcoming Strikeforce: Houston show in August.

Lashley (5-0) is a former pro wrestler who transitioned to mixed martial arts in 2008. So far, his career progression has been gradual, with wins over vets like Jason Guida, Bob Sapp and most recently, Wes Sims.

Share In Griggs, he faces an 8-1 fighter who will be making his Strikeforce debut. Nicknamed "the Gravedigger," Griggs is an Arizona firefighter and paramedic who previously fought in the IFL. He had a 1-1 record in the short-lived promotion.

Griggs has seven TKO's and one submission in his career and has never gone to a decision. His last fight, however, took place in April 2009.

Lashley had been scheduled to face Ron Sparks in a June Strikeforce show before an injury knocked him off the card.

The Strikeforce: Houston card will take place at the Toyota Center on Aug. 21 and will be headlined by "King Mo" Muhammed Lawal's first light-heavyweight title defense, which will come against Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/16/bobby-lashley-to-face-chad-griggs-at-strikeforce-houston/

Safe and slow huh?

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I don't see why people attack lashley for who he fights. He is 5-0 he shouldn't be fighting even midlevel hws at this point. I haven't seen anyone attack Ben Askren for not immediately fighting GSP and Fitch and he has a much better wrestling background than Lashley.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I don't see why people attack lashley for who he fights. He is 5-0 he shouldn't be fighting even midlevel hws at this point. I haven't seen anyone attack Ben Askren for not immediately fighting GSP and Fitch and he has a much better wrestling background than Lashley.
That's 'cos Ben Askren doesn't go around saying he wants to fight GSP and Fitch, and then end up fighting cans.

Lashley runs his yapper about wanting to fight the big boys, and then proceeds to fight Wes Sims and other scrubs.

That's pretty much it. If he'd just keep his mouth shut and beat up on nobodies, I wouldn't have a problem with him. It's that fact that he talks a big game and doesn't proceed to back up that tough talk that rubs myself and a lot of people the wrong way.

Though I agree -- he shouldn't be expected to be fighting elite HWs at this point. He should really just keep his mouth shut and build himself up without the whole I-wanna-fight-Fedor sidebar tough talk.

So that's more or less my beef with Lashley in a nutshell... well that and he's ducking Shane Del Rosario ;p

·
Banned
820 Posts
I would like Bobby to atleast step up in competition at least a little bit.

When does he want to fight Fedor again?

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
^^ ditto

But I would really like to see him step up soon, I don't think Strikeforce is holding him back, this is on his own accord...
But he talks about being great and fighting the best - so do it damnit!

Still gonna watch this though :p

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Not a thread takeover, but since there are already a few Lashley threads and I don't know where to post, just a reminder:

Source:
http://www.cagepotato.com/what-you-talking-about-bobby-lashley

Bobby Lashley was in studio with the guys from "Inside MMA" recently, and wouldn't you know it, they just happened to have the results of an online poll question about who Lashley should fight next. Fans agree that Brett Rogers would make the most interesting next opponent, but Lashley isn't even trying to pretend that he wants that fight. In the twisted caverns of his mind, it makes no sense to fight any somewhat credible opponent unless it's the champ.

"Either let me fight the way I want to, build up and get a few fights under my belt and then work my way up there, or let me fight the champ."

All due respect here Bobby, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It seems fairly obvious that Lashley doesn't really want to fight Overeem any more than he wants to fight "The Grimm." The difference is, he knows one of those fights is a realistic possibility and the other isn't. By imploring Strikeforce to either give him another tomato can opponent or else give him an immediate and wholly unearned title shot, he thinks he's improving his chances of getting the tomato can.

It's an old trick, and one we've all used before. For instance, you really want to go to Chili's for dinner on Valentine's Day. You know your girlfriend isn't going to be very enthusiastic about that idea, so you give her two choices: Chili's or the Sbarro at the mall. You know very well that no one in the history of food has ever said, 'I'd rather go to Sbarro.' Suddenly, Chili's starts to look like a pretty good option.

Lashley's problem is that a) his scheme is painfully transparent, and b) no one goes from Wes Sims to Alistair Overeem, not even in Japan, and we all know it. Suck it up and fight someone, Bobby. That's what they pay you for.
Come on Franklin Roberto, use what the good Lord gave you.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Not a thread takeover, but since there are already a few Lashley threads and I don't know where to post, just a reminder:

Source:
http://www.cagepotato.com/what-you-talking-about-bobby-lashley

Come on Franklin Roberto, use what the good Lord gave you.
"It's an old trick, and one we've all used before. For instance, you really want to go to Chili's for dinner on Valentine's Day. You know your girlfriend isn't going to be very enthusiastic about that idea, so you give her two choices: Chili's or the Sbarro at the mall. You know very well that no one in the history of food has ever said, 'I'd rather go to Sbarro.' Suddenly, Chili's starts to look like a pretty good option."

Sounds to me like this guy has never had a girlfriend or only dates ugly fat girls. Either way he has never gotten any ***** on valentines day.

Lashley just doesn't want his career hurt by the idiots who run strikeforce(Showtime) if he gets put in against a guy he clearly isn't ready for it might as well be someone that if he loses to people won't shit on him for it. The way most MMA fans are if he loses to Bigfoot he is a can if he loses to Fedor it is expected and nothing should be thought of it because Fedor is Jesus in the time of ice cream.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
After that it should be Del Rosario or i am completely giving up on him. Said by a man who has followed his career since his early WWE days.

I think a step up for Lashley would be...

Delrosario
Abongo if he takes Kyle out
Lavar Johnson
Or Brett Rogers

One of those 4 for sure.

Reactions: Rauno

·
Registered
453 Posts
I sometimes think people expect Lashley to fight a high caliber of fighter immediately because they are unfairly comparing him to Brock. Brocks assent to the top was completely out of the norm. It was exceptional. Even though it worked, what Lashley is doing is the far smarter way. He is only 5-0, which other 5-0 guys would people expect to fight established fighters like Brett Rogers or Alisatir Overreem?

Lashley should probably have another 2-3 low tier fighters before moving up to Rogers and fighters on that level. He is just a beginner, and if it wasnt for the fact he was in the WWE (which really is irrelvant) people wouldnt have these expectations of him.

Of course, him running his mouth doesnt help, but i sometimes think that because he is high profile and signed to Strikeforce that he feels he MUST create some kind of hype. I am convinced he would rather quit MMA than fight Overreem/Fedor right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Talking sense

Finally, someone talking sense about Lashley. Everyone always compares him to Brock, which they shouldn't. Just because they both came out of WWE doesn't mean they have to share the same career path. I like what Lashley is doing, working his way up. Eventually, if he proves his mettle, he'll start swinging with the big boys. Looking forward to seeing him against Griggs.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
He still needs some kind of step up, his not getting younger and with that body type he isnt going to fight as long as Couture has.
When I read your post I was about to say "What are you talking about, isn't he like 25ish?". Even though I knew who he is for some time, I was never informed about that kind of info about him.
Anyways, I was very suprised when I just found out he is 34. :laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts