Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we know that all disciplines have a learning curve, but my question is:

"between muay thai and bjj, which discipline do you think has a longer learning curve." in other words, which one would take longer to become "well-versed" in?

take care

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
primateboy said:
we know that all disciplines have a learning curve, but my question is:

"between muay thai and bjj, which discipline do you think has a longer learning curve." in other words, which one would take longer to become "well-versed" in?

take care
part of that depends on the person.. I have studied a bit of Muay thai... but I know I would do better at BJJ as I have a very good background in grappling and feel more comfortable on the ground then on my feet.. so for me i'd learn BJJ faster then I would Muay thai.. so its another thing to add to the equation..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the don,

that's a good observation. i didn't think of that factor.

i guess for the sake of our discussion, we could assume that the practitioner has no background experience whatsoever...fresh meat, ha!

take care

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd say kickboxing cause the BJJ masters will never got caught on the ground and would submit a huge percentage of people who were not as versed in the ground game

As for Kickboxing, its just stand up, more about power and speed, then experience IMO

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
SlammedSL1 said:
I'd say kickboxing cause the BJJ masters will never got caught on the ground and would submit a huge percentage of people who were not as versed in the ground game

As for Kickboxing, its just stand up, more about power and speed, then experience IMO
Firstly, and I say this being very well-versed in BJJ, there are alot of subtleties to both styles. Muay thai has alot of elements in the clinch that take a while to be able to use to any great effect.

Which one is easier to use effectively in combat, I have to go with Muay Thai, just because there are alot of things that we need in order to use a BJJ technique. (takedown, position and submission)

There are, however, levels of mastery and "master" is a pretty bland term. I think that they both take a long time to master.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oops Sorry Ironman :thumbsup:

I assume too much haha I don't train in anything, just alotta TV watchin' :p

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
SlammedSL1 said:
Oops Sorry Ironman :thumbsup:

I assume too much haha I don't train in anything, just alotta TV watchin' :p
Don't worry about it. Some things are hard to judge from extensive TV viewing, just remember that the BJJ guys who find success in MMA all have blackbelts or purplebelts, and not even those guys are all good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts