Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! i'm a first time poster and new to the MMA world. I'd like to start training in bjj, or Judo to get in better shape and learn technique etc.. Unfortunatly i'm a little to strapped with cash until the new year to take any adult classes. Is it possible to learn using books/ instructional dvds? I have no other experience in MMA and dont wish to pick up bad habits. Would it be better for a guy like me to wait until i can take actual classes? Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Best to get to some classes then use books/dvds to assist with your training. . Instructionals will not give an accurate feeling of what its like to be on the ground - Believe me, I tried that already. I got a BJJ book and it meant nothing until I actually started to nail down the fundamentals.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
It worked for Evan Tanner, but I think you should probably have 4-6 training partners in order to really learn anything useful.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Learning from books or video is a great way to supplement actual live training. In order for any of the technique to be sharpened in a way where it is applicable against a live, resisting opponent you need training partners to actually apply the techniques with. I personally believe they are a great resource, but in no way can they be realistically expected to work as a replacement for time on the mat or between the ropes.

But if you're looking for something new to try out, books and instructional videos are the best resource when a live source of knowledge is not present.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OF COURSE IT WILL!!!! right now you know nothing, so as long as you have a partner it will work GREAT!! i went on my limewire and searched Bas Rutten and downloaded some of his technique dvds, n they are great, i also got some BJJ and Boxing ones. If you have n one to do them with their useless i agree, but if u have a partner its a great stepping stone. Also focus on conditioning and workingout, this is a HUDGE part of fighting, most people have NO IDEA how hard it is to go 3 rounds in MMA

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah videos and books are great, but get some friends to watch/ read them with you, then practice them together.
if you go to a class you'll first be shown the tecnique, then you'll practice it loads of times.

TO LEARN A NEW TECNIQUE

1) see it / read it / get taught it
2) drill it
3) practice it in a 'pressure' situation (sparring)
4) evaluate, analyse and tweek
5) REPEAT

it dosn't matter where you get the tecnique but you will definately need a partner for grappling and i highly recomend it for striking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts