Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty pleased that leg kicks are once again becoming a brutal weapon in the UFC. For a while up until the first Shogun/Machida fight i thought they were being under utlilised but since that fight there has been some brutal usage of them. Last night there were some great kicks in the mitrione fight as well as Stout/Stephens. As a guy who has ruptured his ACL twice it makes me wince everytime but i love them! Long live the leg kick!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
legs kicks being utilized to there fullest are the most dangerous weapon in a fight. Once your legs are done you cant do anything.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They've all been watching Emerson tapes and trying to emulate his style. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I LOVE leg kicks. I love them to the point that I sometimes only throw leg kicks in UFC Undisputed and it usually end with me getting knocked out with a counter straight right. But yeah, I'm very pleased with seeing so many leg kickers lately. Shogun and Aldo use them as their bread and butter and they both rock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Good point, nice to see leg kicks are “back in style.”
Coming from a MT background it drives me crazy to see a fighter winning the boxing aspect of the standup but failing to either utilize kicks (thus opening up your boxing even more) or failing to check kicks thus neutralizing any advantage you may have had.

Some top level fighters either move away from kicking and rely too much on their hands (Chuck) or obviously never train enough on using kicks/kick defense (Rampage).

IMHO kicks are just as important to the striking game as punches in MMA.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I LOVE leg kicks. I love them to the point that I sometimes only throw leg kicks in UFC Undisputed and it usually end with me getting knocked out with a counter straight right. But yeah, I'm very pleased with seeing so many leg kickers lately. Shogun and Aldo use them as their bread and butter and they both rock. :thumbsup:
lol so true. I did the same when I had my UFC 2009. .. waiting for 2010 now

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't think leg kicks ever went out of style. There are only certain fighters that can use them like Shogun. Primarily kickboxers and muay thai boxers.

Some wrestlers develop a decent headkick but it takes a lot of training to be able to throw a left body kick in combination with punches as effectively as a left hook.

Styles are also a factor. Leg kicks leave you more vulnerable to wrestling takedowns which Machida has none.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Those leg kicks Mitrione was throwing at Kimbo were just brutal. I don't ever wanna hear someone say leg kicks don't end a fight again.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Those leg kicks Mitrione was throwing at Kimbo were just brutal. I don't ever wanna hear someone say leg kicks don't end a fight again.
Kimbo has terrible knees , its not a surprise to anyone he even admitted to it during the ultimate fighter. I can almost guarentee you, his leg kicks wouldn't effect most fighters in the HW division. Add to the fact Kimbo wouldn't check the leg kicks

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Kimbo has terrible knees , its not a surprise to anyone he even admitted to it during the ultimate fighter. I can almost guarentee you, his leg kicks wouldn't effect most fighters in the HW division. Add to the fact Kimbo wouldn't check the leg kicks
I understand Kimbo's knees are horrible but if Mitrione landed those leg kicks they'd **** anyones day up. Maybe not as fast as Kimbo but I'm sure they'd be hurtin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.