Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Lesnar to be out a long time, collapses in Canada

15K views 166 replies 71 participants last post by  swpthleg 
#1 ·
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16856/dana-white-brock-lesnar-is-not-going-to-be-getting-well-anytime-soon.mma

Dana White: Brock Lesnar is "not going to be getting well any time soon"
by John Morgan on Nov 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm ET
UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has already re-scheduled his bout with Shane Carwin twice. Now it appears to be off indefinitely.

At Saturday night's UFC 105 post-event press conference, UFC president Dana White said the mononucleosis that had been bothering Lesnar is still present, but the champ is now suffering a new set of illnesses, as well.

"I am worried about it," White said. "I can't really talk about it right now, but [Lesnar] is in rough shape. He's in really bad shape.

"I'm actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we're going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy. He is not well, and he's not getting any better."

White said he wasn't sure how serious the new illnesses were and whether they could be career- or even life-threatening.

"I don't know," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I've got to get him to one of these really good hospitals with really good doctors to figure out what's wrong and how we get him better."

White said Lesnar collapsed while spending time on a retreat in Canada and was checked into a hospital.

"[Lesnar] is in bad shape, and the reality is they don't really know all that's wrong with him," White said. "He owns a bunch of property in Canada. He went up to Canada just to get away from his house, to go up there and just kind of chill out up there.

"He [expletive] dropped. He went down, and he had to go to the hospital. They ran every test on the planet on him, and they ended up finding out something else was wrong with him."

White said he's not yet sure what the UFC will do regarding the heavyweight division with its champion on the shelf for an indeterminable amount of time.

"If it's a long wait, we're gong to have to do something," White said. "We're going to have to – the last thing I ever want to do is strip a guy who won a title. That's the last thing I want to do. I don't know if we'll have to do an interim or what we'll do to fix it."

White said there's still more questions than answers surrounding his heavyweight champion, but one thing was certain: Lesnar will be on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

"He is not good," White said. "He is very, very sick, and he's going to be out for a while.

"He doesn't want to talk about it publicly, but he's in bad shape. He's not well. He's not going to be getting well anytime soon.
Sounds really bad, wonder if we won't see Velasquez/Carwin for interim at 108?

#50 ·
I bet all the people saying "what a puss, he should have fought Carwin with that 'cold'" are feeling pretty stupid right about now.

#57 ·
I like that Dana says he's gonna fly out there and get him to a good hospital. This is the stuff that makes the UFC different from other MMA promotions and other sports. When worst comes to worst, they take care of their own.

On a side note, it must be pretty hard for the hospital staff to haul Brock's big ass around if he is unconcious. 300+ pounds (well, maybe less if he's really ill and dropping weight) but still. He's a big boy.

#60 ·
I like that Dana says he's gonna fly out there and get him to a good hospital. This is the stuff that makes the UFC different from other MMA promotions and other sports. When worst comes to worst, they take care of their own.
of course they are gonna go visit him, he is one of their highest paid fighters and I really doubt Dana White would go to see somebody earning $20,000.

who cares if he took steroids 6 years ago, if you know anything about them, his strength from the steroids are long gone. the body on lesnar now is all hard work

#61 ·
Steroids, Mono, whatever... the guy is sick and needs help.

I AM NOT a Brock fan in the slightest... I think he is the worst thing to happen to MMA in a long time but... The guy is a physicaly amazing and talented as well. But his attitude and dis-respect doesn't belong in MMA. This is not WWE.

That being said, I would never wish's a debilitating illness or death on anyone, even Brock Lesner.

#62 ·
Brock is NOT on death's doorstep, here's an update:

- LESNAR'S CONDITION "NOTHING LIFE THREATENING"
Sunday, November 15, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com (Reporting by Steven Marrocco)

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar’s future has been in doubt ever since his withdrawal from UFC 106 and subsequent mononucleosis diagnosis, but Saturday night, the future got even cloudier for Lesnar.

UFC president Dana White, according to numerous reports, revealed that Lesnar’s illness, far from getting better, has actually taken a turn for the worse. Though he was a little light on details, White revealed that Lesnar “dropped” on a recent trip he took to Canada to relax.

Several reports painted the picture as extremely bleak, even using the phrases “career threatening” and “life threatening.”

MMAWeekly.com spoke to a source in Lesnar’s camp on Saturday night that denied such characterizations, but indicated that there are some new issues to deal with.

“Nothing life threatening like the reports, just some complications with his illness and he had to be hospitalized for antibiotics.”

The extent and exact nature of Lesnar’s illness is still unclear. White indicated that he might even fly out to visit the champion to find out more about his condition and see what the promotion can do to help him get better.

#63 ·
Certain folks that get H1N1 develop very severe secondary infections especially lung. He could also be having a desctructive immune response in his lungs which can be fatal. It's called a cytokine storm.

Often the healthier/stronger you are the worse it is.

Hopefully he pulls through ok, sounds serious though...It might be something totally unrelated like a brain or heart condition...

#66 ·
This is really bad for Brock, MMA, and Dana White. All signs point to steroid complications. Just look at the guy -- the muscles, the rage. Why was he in Canada? Well, roids are cheap there, doctors on the take, etc... I'm a little suspicious of the lack of disclosure also. Stroke? Bad infection from IV drug use? Drug overdose? Was morphine involved? You know he had serious pain management problems. Heart attack? Liver shutdown? It has to be much worse than they are letting on. Dana seems to be distancing himself from this as well. If we ever really do know the truth, and it's incriminating, Dana will claim he didn't know anything about it, even if he was directly connected.

#71 ·
How is Dana distancing himself? Dana says he is gonna fly out there hire the best doctors money can buy and you say he is distancing himself, WTF? I also think the steroid conclusion is jumping to a major conclusion because Mono wreaks havoc on your immune system and can turn something like the swine flu (common everywhere right now) or a staph infection (common in gyms) into a very serious heath issue.

Reactions: leifdawg
#68 ·
Does it make me a bad person that, because of his pro-wrestling history, I take everything involving him with a grain of salt? I'm not saying I wouldn't be legitimately concerned if there is something really wrong with him. But because of his past I just can't presume what we are hearing is 100% legit.

I guess its a bit of "crying wolf" syndrome...

If he's really not well I hope he gets better soon though!

#70 ·
You're right, I'm wrong. I'm sure Brock has never used steroids. He is all natural. I see guys like him all the time in public -- 300 pound smashing machines. And I suppose that all the secrecy is simply to protect his privacy. I'm sure there is a league of attorneys working on this right now, trying to figure out a way to spin this and cover it up. Dana is stalling, waiting for the attorneys to work their magic. If it's no big deal, then why not tell the UFC fans what really happened? I guess it was just a hypoglycemic collapse. His sugar was too low. World class athletes don't just collapse every day. People that are a hundred pounds overweight with high cholesterol and congenitive heart problems collapse. We will never know the truth on this one. Since no crime was committed, attorneys can speak with absolute authority as if they have been with Brock 24/7 for his entire life and you can't dispute it. I just don't have that defense attorney gene.

#72 ·
If you don't see 300 lbs smashing machine, I guess you don't watch the NFL.

What secrecy? Dana has already told us that he has mono and a as of yet unknown other infection. There isn't any non-disclosure, Brock just doesn't want to do interviews when he's feeling like shit.

World class athletes don't collapse every day, but people with mono do. It's very easy to get dehydrated even with the common cold let alone mono.

#74 ·
I'm honestly sitting here laughing at the kids trying to say this isn't roid related. They must have brocks shrunken nuts stuffed down their throats.

What do I know about roids right? Ive only been body building for 20+ years, have done roids in the past, and am with people who roid every day of my life. I'm sure when brock got busted for having roids before it was all just a big conspiracy and done by people jealous of his " built like a black guy " body.

LOL

#76 ·
What do I know about roids right? Ive only been body building for 20+ years, have done roids in the past, and am with people who roid every day of my life. I'm sure when brock got busted for having roids before it was all just a big conspiracy and done by people jealous of his " built like a black guy " body.

LOL
Brock was never caught with steroids, he was pulled over he had pills and the cops arrested him assuming they were steroids turns out they were vitamins and the cops were just jumping to conclusions.

#75 ·
Dana White said:
"If it's a long wait, we're gong to have to do something," White said. "We're going to have to – the last thing I ever want to do is strip a guy who won a title. That's the last thing I want to do. I don't know if we'll have to do an interim or what we'll do to fix it."
Yeah, Dana, I imagine that would just destroy your soul if you EVER had to do something like that.....8 pages of posts and no one mentions anything about Dana saying sumfing like this? For shame MMAF, for shame.

Oh about Brock, hope he feels better.

#83 ·
I think that with this disease and all, Brock will lose too much weight to be champ after this. He'll lose at least 30-40 pounds and he'll probably never gain it properly back. Looks like we've seen the last of Lesnar, sadly. Well, at least he got his $5 million paycheck for UFC 100.

#93 ·
Whoa buddy, I want Lesnar to leave MMA too, but that is jumping to a major conclusion.

I think he'll drop a ton of weight with this illness as well (I've never seen anyone with Mono NOT drop a ton of weight).

My two friends that had it dropped about 10% of their body weight. That'd be lesnar losing close to 30lbs if that were the case, which would be a huge amount. Funny to think he'd still be a bigger dude at HW though. hahaha

#91 ·
Oh gee thanks, butterbean is such a ladies man. No really, ive never been much of a looker. You don't need to tell me that.

As far as my age goes im 27, I started lifting at a very young age because I was surrounded by it ( my father lifted and so did my older brothers )

#97 ·
So much speculation going around. My guess it's the combination of mono and staph that could have now entered into his bloodstream. His immune system may not be as strong, but who knows. This is one of those crazy things...

MANCHESTER - UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is seriously ill in hospital after collapsing in Canada, UFC president Dana White said Saturday.
"He's in rough shape, he's in really bad shape," White said Saturday after UFC 105.

"He is not well and he is not getting any better. . . . He's very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while. He's got a lot of problems."

Citing mononucleosis, the 32-year-old Lesnar was forced to postpone a title fight against Shane Carwin scheduled for UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. The fight was pushed back to UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but that too has been postponed.

"He's got mono and he's got something else wrong with him. I know what's wrong with him, he just doesn't want me talking about it," White said.

"He doesn't have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, (but) he's got some problems, man."

White said Lesnar was currently in a hospital in North Dakota. The six-foot-three, 265-pounder owns property in Canada, White added.

"He dropped up there and had to go to hospital," White said.

He said Lesnar may have to go to the Mayo Clinic or another top hospital "to figure out what's wrong with this guy."

"He's not going to be getting well any time soon," White said.

The UFC has other concerns with fighters. White said the newly announced UFC 108 main event between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez is off because Nogueira has a serious staph infection.

"(It's) bad, to the point now that it's in his bloodstream," White said. "He's probably going to have to be hospitalized and intravenously given antibiotics."

Carwin is also out after undergoing knee surgery.

"It's crazy," White said of the injuries and illness.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/wi/2009/1115/461566/brock-lesnar/index.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.