Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts

i guess we'll see how brock does in werdum guard after all .
Very cool... on the surface. But then, we've been here before. If there's one thing I know about Brazilians, they dont half go on about their BJJ. All I ever hear from teachers is how awesome X student is. Its his teacher. Paid. Ker-ching. What do you want him to say, "I'm an awesome teacher and that, but Brock is still a bit shit.". Right. That'll get him lots of new students.

All cynicism aside, I loved the hype anyway!! I hope its true. I would love to see it happen!

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts

Reactions: Kin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd love to see him compete in the ADCC, I think he has great potential with his BJJ. Brock is still quite new to MMA and martial arts in general, but if its one area I think he can really shine if he puts the effort into it its BJJ. He already has the wrestling which helps him a lot with takedowns and top control. I think an athlete like Brock can excell in almost any sport. Some people are just like that, they learn physical things extremely fast. He's not 20 years old anymore, so I don't know how far he can actually go, but I think its more realistic that he'll be a good ground fighter with submissions and control than an awesome technical striker. If Brock wins his next fight via triangle choke off his back Im gonna choke on my beer, lol.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
As one of my instructers said even if Brock was a white belt he would be a threat cuz he can simply power out of submissions or force em to work. IE: Him vs Hardy (say hardy was 250+ pounds) GSP could have possibily continued to yank it although the technique was slightly off, but a big man like Brock would still be able to force it to work even if it's probably 50% wrong...lolz. In other words he can get away with a lot more...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Even i am sceptical, but wrestling does provide a very solid base when learning BJJ. Brocks advancement will have been far more rapid than anyone on here, because he has probably been training it every day, with world class coaches and other grapplers, for the best part of 3 years.

I honestly doubt he will ever be a world champion BJJ player, but his strength combined with strong technique would be a force.

Reactions: cdtcpl

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this, but how absolutely amazing would it have been to score Brock straight out of college!! I think Brock will show to have that freakish ability to compete well past his "prime years" (Couture style) but I still wish we could have seen what a Brock at 25 was able to do.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this, but how absolutely amazing would it have been to score Brock straight out of college!! I think Brock will show to have that freakish ability to compete well past his "prime years" (Couture style) but I still wish we could have seen what a Brock at 25 was able to do.

Agreed. Unfortunatly with MMA not being anything like a viable career option when Brock came out of college, he had to go to the WWE were the big money was.

Luckily though with MMA being huge and financially viable if you are good enough now-a-days, we should see an influx of incredible college athletes coming straight into MMA after they finish their education. Cole Konrad comes to mind, and Cain Velasquez as fighters that have come straight into training at good ages.

On the flip side of the coin, people like Kurt Angle are just too old and damaged to make the jump. Kurt would have been an incredible fighter had he enterted MMA straight after the Olympics, or even before, and his neck hadnt been smashed to pieces.

The next step is that we will soon have kids growing up from the age of 4 and 5 who cross train from the beginning, not just training in one discipline and coming into MMA later, but actually training Mixed Martial Arts from young ages.

The growth-potential in fighter abilities for the future is incredible. Its exciting.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
On the flip side of the coin, people like Kurt Angle are just too old and damaged to make the jump. Kurt would have been an incredible fighter had he enterted MMA straight after the Olympics, or even before, and his neck hadnt been smashed to pieces.
Oh yeah Angle would have made a great LHW or even MW. Hes wrestling ability would have transitioned very easily into making him a beast. Now hes just way too injured and his neck is dust.

I'm always skeptical of these trainers that come out and say so and so is awesome. Its really to their benefit to say that moreso than it being an accurate representation of their skills

1 - 20 of 40 Posts