Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at few years ago, there was 5-6 events per year. They have significantly downed that lately. Anyone know what the cause is?

·
Registered
332 Posts
herton17 said:
If you look at few years ago, there was 5-6 events per year. They have significantly downed that lately. Anyone know what the cause is?

It could be due to the lack of fighters on their roster (if you go to Prides website you see that they have many fighters on their roster that havent fought in pride in years). Pride also lost a T.V. deal in Japan which may effect the amount of events being held as well. They are also trying to bring their product to the U.S. which would bite into their budget more than you would think. And lastly some of the fighters may have signed to fight in other shows. If Pride wont give a GOOD fighter the attention he deserves than a smaller organization will and he will probably make just a much if not a little more as the smaller organizations premier fighter. And finally alot of really good fighters are journeyman so they'll sign a three or four fight deal and then go somewhere else. Thats just my take though:cool:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
herton17 said:
PRIDE Shockwave 2006 N/A N/A 12/31/2006 TBA TBA Japan
PRIDE Bushido 13 N/A N/A 11/5/2006 Yokohama Arena Yokohama Japan
PRIDE 32 The Real Deal The Real Deal 10/21/2006 Thomas & Mack Center Las Vegas USA
PRIDE Final Conflict Absolute N/A N/A 09/10/2006 Saitama Super Arena Saitama Japan
PRIDE Bushido 12 N/A 2nd Round 08/26/2006 Nagoya Rainbow Hall Nagoya Japan
PRIDE Critical Countdown Absolute N/A N/A 07/01/2006 Saitama Super Arena Saitama Japan
PRIDE Bushido Survival 2006 N/A N/A 06/04/2006 Saitama Super Arena Saitama Japan
PRIDE Total Elimination Absolute N/A N/A 05/05/2006 Osaka Dome Osaka Japan
PRIDE Bushido 10 N/A N/A 04/02/2006 Ariake Colosseum Tokyo Japan
PRIDE 31 Unbreakable Dreamers 02/26/2006 Saitama Super Arena Saitama Japan

including the nye show there will have been 10 events this year..

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
pt447 said:
i think the guy was confused about "pride" events, and "bushido" events, as well as the tournaments and NYE special... comparatively few PRIDE events are titled, PRIDE X...
Could be, never thought of that. Although I personally look at all of them as Pride events.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
cabby said:
Could be, never thought of that. Although I personally look at all of them as Pride events.
i mean, they are... but if you're looking at them on paper, maybe the fact that bushido events aren't "billed" as PRIDE events... that might be confusing... otherwise, i don't know what the guy was talking about... there are a whole pile of PRIDE's every year! in fact, there are comparritively more each year then there ever were... so i don't know where he was getting his info...:dunno:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Yeah same with UFC huh. More and more lately. Hopefully they don't put em out every week in the future:confused:

·
The Samurai Files
559 Posts
They are all PRIDE fighters. Bushido is just the name of the show. PRIDE just likes to seperate their smaller fighters from their biggers ones. Then, they mix them all on the Shockwave NYE show.

·
The Samurai Files
559 Posts
cabby said:
It's all MW in Bushido correct?
yeah MW(PRIDE calls MW, WW) and LW barring the occassional Minowa freakshow fight.

When Bushido 1st started it wasn't like it is now. Bushido was originally all weight classes, but it did cater to the smaller guys still. But originally guys like Mirko Cro Cop, Shogun Rua, Aleks Emelianenko, and other bigger fighters would fight on Bushido. It was a way to build them up and get them more experience before fighting on regular PRIDE shows. They switched it to the smaller fighters on Bushido 7, it's been that way since.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Grabaka said:
yeah MW(PRIDE calls MW, WW) and LW barring the occassional Minowa freakshow fight.

When Bushido 1st started it wasn't like it is now. Bushido was originally all weight classes, but it did cater to the smaller guys still. But originally guys like Mirko Cro Cop, Shogun Rua, Aleks Emelianenko, and other bigger fighters would fight on Bushido. It was a way to build them up and get them more experience before fighting on regular PRIDE shows. They switched it to the smaller fighters on Bushido 7, it's been that way since.
Ohh ic. I didn't know about Bushido really.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have only seen one bushido, and it was a bunch of brazilians kicking the crap out of a bunch of japanese guys. It was probably one of the most boring MMA dvds I've ever seen. Maybe some of the others are better.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
cabby said:
It's all MW in Bushido correct?
the mw's are 205 in japan. like wand is the mw champ. its all ww's and lw fights usually on bushido. it gets confusing this might help..

Weight classes..
It should be noted that PRIDE Fighting Championships does Not divide their fighters with weight divisions, a fighter may be booked to fight an opponent of any weight class. Weight divisions are only used for championship title bouts to crown a champion among that weight class.

Heavyweight (more than or equal to 93 kg / 205 lb)
Middleweight (less than 93 kg / 205 lb)
Welterweight (less than 83 kg / 183 lb)
Lightweight (less than 73 kg / 160 lb)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I m not counting bushidos because then I would have to count UFNs for UFC. AS much as its better than UFN, it s not a real Pride event. I m not counting the tourneys because there was more than 5 or 6 few years ago if you count those as well.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
herton17 said:
I m not counting bushidos because then I would have to count UFNs for UFC. AS much as its better than UFN, it s not a real Pride event. I m not counting the tourneys because there was more than 5 or 6 few years ago if you count those as well.
well if all the top fighters are involved in the torny's who would fight?? thats why they have the guys that lose in the tourny's fight on the undercard of the later rounds. i think ufc biggest problem is they oversaturate us with mediocre cards, as opposed to have 5 really solid events, ufc has like 10 and none of them are as good as any of the pride events usually. i like prides format. i would rather have greta cards every couple months then have suck cards every month.

p.s i know you said that you think ufns arent as good as bushido, but they arent anywhere near the same league. the bushidos are like the whole lighter weight half of pride. i dont know how you could compare them at all, or not count them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts